Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

That's really good news about Stan Harris coming back.

In terms of the manager - if/when MacLean gets it, who's a likely assistant? If it's not Liam Craig  I wonder if Considine would fancy it. Wants to go into management, good defensive balance to MacLean as a former striker, and would shift an expensive wage for a declining player off the squad budget.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

As others say, bit of another sign of the end of an era. If Spoony leaves, then does that mean the whole of the 2014 team will ha e left? (Excluding May who left and then came back).

Will it not also be him & Gordon that are only Double winners left if Booth & Kane also leave at end of their contracts in summer?

Edited by gingermunkie

Think Muzz, Wotherspoon, MOH and May the only ones left who played any real part in 13/14. Chris Kane played a few games.

Brown, Booth, Gordon, Muzz, Wotherspoon, MOH Kane, May left from 20/21.

Brown, Muzz, Wotherspoon, MOH, Kane all out of contract this Summer.

25 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Will it not also be him & Gordon that anre only Double winners left of Booth & Kane also leave at end of their contracts in summer?

Booth has another year yet 

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

Hopefully starting from scratch in pre-season will give David Wotherspoon a chance to catch up again. He has to be worth a one-year deal for everything he's given the club.

Would he take a one year deal? Will he be offered that dream chance in North America? If we do give him a contract and he's stinking folk will just slate all involved for offering him it, ala MOH etc.

Most folk think he should get one but most of that is based on loyalty and sentimentality,  certainly not on recent performances. The takeover isn't happening anytime soon so get the managers position sorted and start the cull asap.

I think you keep Spoony for another year if he'll accept it. I think he's still got something to offer, even if that's off the bench or in a reduced role. He never relied on pace as it was and he (and maybe Carey) are the only players we've got who ever look for a quick ball over the top, that May actually likes once in a while. I'm not sure where he's best to play now, but I don't think his story at saints is over yet.

For family security a 2 year deal will likely be his preferred option. 

I guess the situation comes down to what other offers he gets. If Saints offer is 1 year but he gets a similar offer but for 2 years elsewhere for example then we know which one is more appealing to provide for the family!

I'm not sure this alleged dream of Canada is as much a dream as people think it is either. He's got younger children does he not? 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I'm not sure this alleged dream of Canada is as much a dream as people think it is either. He's got younger children does he not? 

I dunno I’ve got young kids and if you offered me the chance to be thousands of miles away I’d be pretty tempted, especially round meal times! 😂

I've obviously got a lot of affection for Spoony, like all Saints supporters, but I think he is done. If MacLean wants to play a higher pressing, faster style of football, I don't see where he fits in. I'm of the opinion we don't keep him on. He has looked older and off the pace in recent performances, which is gutting to say. 

31 minutes ago, Saint Stevo said:

I've obviously got a lot of affection for Spoony, like all Saints supporters, but I think he is done. If MacLean wants to play a higher pressing, faster style of football, I don't see where he fits in. I'm of the opinion we don't keep him on. He has looked older and off the pace in recent performances, which is gutting to say. 

No surprise considering he's played a handful of games since December. 

He's one of the most versatile players in the squad and can slot into a number of positions.

Don't forget he can still deliver a great cross/pass (see the cross for the leveller the other night).

I'd imagine a full pre season under his belt and he will be back to the spoony we all know .

Spoony still has a lot to offer I think. If he wants to stay he’s earned another year even if we are giving him the benefit of the doubt, which I don’t think we are to be honest. 

The release list will be interesting, would’ve been nice to get an announcement today so we could give guys like MOH, Davidson (and spoony and Kane if they are going) a proper send off as they deserve their curtain call.

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

@RandomGuy. Anything on Tom Lang?

lang.thumb.png.b4739ad6457e91a913951aad352933a6.png

McGlynn-ball CB in 21/22 (play 1,000,000 passes between your CBs every game), so think this seasons is probably more representative, and is closer to his Clyde data too.

So aye, good 1v1 defender (maybe quick?) and good in the air. Seems well balanced and if you're only wanting a "meat and tatties" CB is probably able to step up as at least back up.