Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Radford said:

The most mental thing was that prompted a change and I enjoyed the way we played in the two Rangers games. I thought the penny had finally dropped. But like the scorpion, he just couldn't change his nature and drowned himself by reverting to his (not) preferred system.

Touched on it in match thread but I've not been convinced that MacLean isn't just the continuity candidate and surely nobody wants more of what we've had for 18 months.

Sadly not sure anyone at the club cares enough to undertake a proper recruitment process.

Agree with the view McClean still feels a little bit like a continuity candidate, but if he does get the job (I'm not yet convinced he should), then that will go as there will be a massive squad clear out.

I'd imagine he would welcome that freshness in the squad in a way Davidson wouldn't. I'd imagine Davidson would have opted to keep most of that squad, which frankly hasn't shown the right mentality let along ability.

In my view, everything hinges now on the ownership situation for him and not what happens in the Livi game. 

Cannot tell if the silence from club and ITK journalists on new owners is a good sign or a bad sign. 

43 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Agree with the view McClean still feels a little bit like a continuity candidate, but if he does get the job (I'm not yet convinced he should), then that will go as there will be a massive squad clear out.

I'd imagine he would welcome that freshness in the squad in a way Davidson wouldn't. I'd imagine Davidson would have opted to keep most of that squad, which frankly hasn't shown the right mentality let along ability.

In my view, everything hinges now on the ownership situation for him and not what happens in the Livi game. 

Cannot tell if the silence from club and ITK journalists on new owners is a good sign or a bad sign. 

One thing that doesn't add up re the ownership situation is the apparent claims from the club that there isn't anything happening. 

Yet there's the Courier story that there was something progressing well and close to a done deal. The Courier isn't going to post some clickbait lie about it. That must have came from a reliable source with credible info. Probably from the club tbh. They also didn't come out and deny anything at the time, you'd think they would if have it if it wasn't true? 

So what's going on? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I get folks reservations about Macca being the continuity candidate but to me he has shown over the last few weeks:

A willingness to change/adapt system and play players in their preferred positions

A willingness to give youth a chance 

A much more savvy handling of the media with far more positive interviews

A huge amount of passion for the role

Clearly has the backing of the players

For those reasons I think its a good appointment, far better than any if the more experienced names doing the rounds. It’s a risk for sure, he’ll be handed a rebuilding job and we’re going to have to have some faith he gets it right, but our record with rookie managers is excellent. 

Has my full backing. 

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Remi Matthews - great guy. 

This has never been in doubt at all, he's been terrific this season (mostly off the pitch) and is genuinely a top quality person. Bit critical of some of his goalkeeping at times, but in the whole he was solid and I think it goes to show how much the fans respected him that he didn't' get more stick at times. Every squad needs someone like him to bridge that player/fan gap and he is the best I can remember for years, especially one on loan. 

All the best to Remi, hope he can see his family more next year and probably pick up a wage at Palace that far outweighs anything we can pay. Good on him. 

7 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Remi Matthews - great guy. 

https://twitter.com/Remi_matthews/status/1661676801888772097?t=r8JAZiGW4cLDQMVovG60jw&s=19

It won't embed for some reason. 

One thing that stands out for is how much he tried to give back to the young lads while he was here. 

He was going to youth training sessions and helping out apparently. 

He was the only player in the squad who turned up to the family fun day recently as well. 

Never met him personally but he sounds a really good guy. 

I'd rather have Macca than some of the usual media darlings... Yogi, Goodwin, Dodds etc etc.

Yes it's an unimaginative appointment but been impressed with his media work, impressed he's instantly got results and some kind of performance out of a team who looked destined for relegation only a few weeks ago.

He will make mistakes ( see Motherwell game for example) but at least we will go down having a try to win as opposed to being negative from minute one like it was under CD 

The quick appointment allows him time to get rid of players he does not want and look to mould his squad.

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

https://twitter.com/Remi_matthews/status/1661676801888772097?t=r8JAZiGW4cLDQMVovG60jw&s=19

It won't embed for some reason. 

One thing that stands out for is how much he tried to give back to the young lads while he was here. 

He was going to youth training sessions and helping out apparently. 

He was the only player in the squad who turned up to the family fun day recently as well. 

Never met him personally but he sounds a really good guy. 

Saw him and Mitchell regularly walking round the north inch watching kids playing/training and they always went over for a kick about with them.. decent guys

Given that nobody can judge him either way over six games, it's at least gone better than I feared.

I wouldn't read too much into him being bolder, or giving youth a chance or being passionate or doing lots of media interviews. Those are the very things you'd have on your checklist if you had the free hit of a few games to win over fans and employers. I hope he's like that normally, but you have to balance that optimism with the knowledge that he was a core part of the defensive, football-less coaching set up that got us in this position.

He's retained that Callum Davidson coaching jargon tic of talking about 'transitions' and first and second balls, but that doesn't matter so much: what will be interesting is how he recruits and builds a team. We'll only find out how good he is months down the line.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Surely the things which people have been praising are exactly what you’d expect from any satisfactory football manager. Callum Davidson has really brainwashed us to be impressed by the bare minimum.

Having said that, ‘satisfactory’ is the key word, and that’s a positive place to start, so hopefully MacLean continues in a similar manner and gets better and better as he gains experience in the role. Also, being further behind with the takeover process than we were initially led to believe, and led by a temporary board, everything appears to be pointing towards another transitional season and maybe not the best time to go in a more surprising or interesting direction. Most importantly, Steve Bright will be a blubbering mess if Macca does well. So I’m all aboard the train.

19 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Surely the things which people have been praising are exactly what you’d expect from any satisfactory football manager. Callum Davidson has really brainwashed us to be impressed by the bare minimum.

Having said that, ‘satisfactory’ is the key word, and that’s a positive place to start, so hopefully MacLean continues in a similar manner and gets better and better as he gains experience in the role. Also, being further behind with the takeover process than we were initially led to believe, and led by a temporary board, everything appears to be pointing towards another transitional season and maybe not the best time to go in a more surprising or interesting direction. Most importantly, Steve Bright will be a blubbering mess if Macca does well. So I’m all aboard the train.

I wasn’t brainwashed by CD. I wanted him gone after Kelty as I could see where we could, and did, end up. A tragic waste of a hard won established position.

As for Mr Bright, I don’t know why people give him a response. Just encourages him.

5 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I wasn’t brainwashed by CD. I wanted him gone after Kelty as I could see where we could, and did, end up. A tragic waste of a hard won established position.

As for Mr Bright, I don’t know why people give him a response. Just encourages him.

Oh, none of that is in doubt. I'd say the vast majority of supporters felt the same way. The cup double was obviously a great achievement, but even that season highlighted a few red flags which became something far more destructive in subsequent campaigns. It may come across as unsympathetic, but I have absolutely no time for anyone with a differing opinion on the matter. Any supporter who condoned or encouraged it for so long, either through stupidity, plain ignorance, or a close friendship with Davidson, has played a part in enabling our lazy/non-existent board to stunt the progress of Saints at a time when we were so close to taking things to the next level. The people in power have damaged the fabric of the club and pulled it in the opposite direction with very little hope of a full recovery.

21 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Oh, none of that is in doubt. I'd say the vast majority of supporters felt the same way. The cup double was obviously a great achievement, but even that season highlighted a few red flags which became something far more destructive in subsequent campaigns. It may come across as unsympathetic, but I have absolutely no time for anyone with a differing opinion on the matter. Any supporter who condoned or encouraged it for so long, either through stupidity, plain ignorance, or a close friendship with Davidson, has played a part in enabling our lazy/non-existent board to stunt the progress of Saints at a time when we were so close to taking things to the next level. The people in power have damaged the fabric of the club and pulled it in the opposite direction with very little hope of a full recovery.

I’m not saying give it to Macca but what a difference going to games in hope rather than out of duty. It had become quite depressing. Worse than when we were at rock bottom in the 80’s I’d say, for certain.

So, on the basis Macca gets the job, what is a realistic expectation for next season? Stretch of top 6, with an absolute must of being 10th or higher? All supplemented with better football and more youth

Or,

Is it top 6, a cup semi and if bottom 6, best of the rest as an absolute must?

For me, had we been coming off the back of the Wright era and CD's first season, then the latter, but given where we have been the last 2 years and the rebuild required, more the first one...

10 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

So, on the basis Macca gets the job, what is a realistic expectation for next season? Stretch of top 6, with an absolute must of being 10th or higher? All supplemented with better football and more youth

Or,

Is it top 6, a cup semi and if bottom 6, best of the rest as an absolute must?

For me, had we been coming off the back of the Wright era and CD's first season, then the latter, but given where we have been the last 2 years and the rebuild required, more the first one...

For me, the main aim should always be at least 10th. (Oh look at me I’m setting my expectations as low as Callum did). However, after 15 consecutive top flight years I feel we should be pushing for mid table. Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen might be difficult to overtake for a while but no reason why we can’t aim for 6th and then try and push on from there. 

All depends on Maccas recruitment. Can probably say goodbye to Millwall players and likely unknown foreign imports for a little while. 

Cup wise. We should be making it out of the league cup group stages no matter what, and trying to get a run in either that or the Scottish cup. 

Edited by mizfit