Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Steve Bright watch:

Steve Bright has had a total meltdown on the St Johnstone Banter page. The dummy is well and truly out of the pram. He is desperate for our next manager to be a failure.

The man is a loony!

His latest suggestion appears to be this. 

MacLean hasn’t improved things that much because in the five games he has been in charge, he hasn’t taken us to a cup double. 

The man is a parody, but makes the kind of statements that would have you grabbing his head and slamming it off the nearest table in the pub to try drum some sense into him. 
So frustrating to read the delusion. Proper Tory behaviour

Edited by TheRealNumber5

17 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Saints are well within their rights to offer a reduced contract with better bonuses to player not fully recovered from injury, it's called covering their arse. That's the time that the player should show some loyalty, if he doesn't then that tells you all you need to know about said player.

There's also the argument about being injured playing for the club and it's not their fault and they don't need to show any loyalty and that's a valid one.

If Kane thinks things will be better at Livi, off you pop son, thanks for your efforts but I'll remember the sitters you missed at Ross County etc just as much as the cup final and LASK goals. You deserve credit for going from a totally shite player to a semi competent one, so does the club for perseverance because I'd have punted you long ago.

To be fair, we're in the market for a backup striker. No chance he'd be a starter for us ahead of Anderson - although no chance we can afford him :D 

The more we play, the more I’m beginning to think MacLean does deserve a shot. I wasn’t at all convinced and I know 5 games isn’t exactly a good yard stick to measure him by, but we’ve won twice, drawn twice and only lost once and ironically the one we lost was against the team with the least to play for. Has the football been amazing, no but it’s getting better. He’s clearly got the players on side and we’re back to having a bit of fight. Am I sure that it would be a good decision, nope not at all, but I do know (first hand) that he’s taking it incredibly seriously and is up late at night contemplating and thinking of ways to hurt opponents, which let’s face it Davidson would never do. 

I wouldn’t mind if we appointed someone else, but Stevie had done a good job and certainly looks like a future manager wherever he ends up. 

Its a shame we didnt punt Davidson 5 games sooner, simply so you could see MacLean as manager over a longer period and against better sides.

Think its inevitable MacLean is getting the job, and hes kept us up by getting a reaction so thats fair enough i guess.

Think looking back over the season the first time I really seen Davidson being at risk of the sack was halftime v Hibs at Easter road. We then come back and win it and go on a really good run up until the World Cup. I honestly felt a corner had been turned and was happy seeing out the season with him. 

After the World Cup, I can’t even describe what had happened. It was like Callum suddenly got in his head we just needed to stay up and we went backwards, you could see players talking out in media duties, frustration from some of them coming off the pitch and a slow slide to the bottom. 

For me, after the Livingston home match I felt it was over and we were just waiting on it being confirmed. Aberdeen at home it felt like a shift had happened and you could feel it was coming. I was still surprised we didn’t have a statement after the county loss. 

Macca keeping us up does put him in the window as our next manager. I have said beforehand I do not think that it’s a good idea to just go to the assistant and would prefer a clean break. But, Macca has shown 2 things Callum struggled with in the past 2 seasons: 

Ability to admit when he’s made a mistake. 

Willingness to attack in an attempt to kill the game. Last night we got caught out, but we knew there was nothing at stake so I’m not too frustrated. 

Id like to give him a go, unless we have an outstanding candidate ready to take the job. 

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

For me, after the Livingston home match I felt it was over and we were just waiting on it being confirmed.

The most mental thing was that prompted a change and I enjoyed the way we played in the two Rangers games. I thought the penny had finally dropped. But like the scorpion, he just couldn't change his nature and drowned himself by reverting to his (not) preferred system.

Touched on it in match thread but I've not been convinced that MacLean isn't just the continuity candidate and surely nobody wants more of what we've had for 18 months.

Sadly not sure anyone at the club cares enough to undertake a proper recruitment process.

53 minutes ago, Radford said:

The most mental thing was that prompted a change and I enjoyed the way we played in the two Rangers games. I thought the penny had finally dropped. But like the scorpion, he just couldn't change his nature and drowned himself by reverting to his (not) preferred system.

Touched on it in match thread but I've not been convinced that MacLean isn't just the continuity candidate and surely nobody wants more of what we've had for 18 months.

Sadly not sure anyone at the club cares enough to undertake a proper recruitment process.

Aye, when he pulled his old favourite back out v Motherwell it worked and I kinda hoped he’d flit between both formations. Never really happened and he went out with a whimper. Hopefully if Maclean is the one taking over permanently he’s got enough about him to not fall into the same stubborn trap.