Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Aye Hallberg leaving feels fine.

Came in, helped us stay up, played his part this season, and now moves on to help reduce the budget and open a pathway for younger ones to play.

Shame he was wasted deep so much, and i always feel like he could be more dominant on the ball if he just pushed himself more, but all in it seems to have been a really good signing in every way.

I really liked Hallberg, but would caveat that by saying only when he was playing further forward. 90% of the time he was being wasted deeper or doing something he cant do. Ultimately he came in did a job and now feels the time to move on. If the budget was there I'd keep him, but I don't think he's worth pushing the boat out for, or taking a large chunk of the budget up for. 

Hallberg probably was wasted by CD unfortunately but he's been fine overall. I've no issue with him going if it helps get minutes in for our promising young players. 

I'd also be happy to see Macca get an opportunity.

On MacLean im not convinced its the right move but it seems inevitable so might aswell give him a chance first.

Now has time to prepare for next season and knows the squad, but do worry about whether hes too close to some players who big decisions need made on.

7 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Another refreshing interview by Macca. Open and honest. 

Saying literally all the right things.

Hopefully he can back it up if given the job and its not just bluster to get folk onside.

7 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Doubt it. Only valid for those collecting from County's ticket office.... Which wasn't an option for any Saints fans when purchasing I presume?!

A Highland Saint called them on Thursday and was told absolutely no option to buy or collect tickets from County. Saints were handling everything.

Hallberg being away isn't a big deal really, he's been decent enough but the bar before him last season was low and I don't think he's been pivotal to the relative successes we've had this season either.

My understanding is he's a very high earner, I think we can replace him like for like in terms of ability for a lot less of a hit on the budget.

Now, I was fully onboard for Regan Hendry joining us in 2021. Am I willing to go back on that bandwagon and let Hallberg & Murphy go at the end of the season? 

@RandomGuy. any comparisons? 

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Another refreshing interview by Macca. Open and honest. 

is Macca the one to initiate these updates or has someone at the club woken up? either way its brilliant and long may it continue!

Edited by Dick Van Dyke

Pretty much a soft no for Macca as manager.

When Callum came in it seemed like a positive thing, but there were clear risks on both sides.

For the club, they got someone they knew, a club legend, who seemed to have done well as coach/assistant manager, the obvious risks being that he had no experience as manager in his own right.

For Callum, he was going to a club he knew well, with a settled, fairly successful squad, most of whom he knew well, the downside of that being that he was taking his first management role at quite a high level, with much expectation on him. Also, a little in his defence, he came in during covid, following his predecessors unexpected departure, and in a time where, we now all realise, there was a lot of change and unrest going on behind the scenes at the club.

As for Macca, if he gets the job going forward, as others have suggested, I will give my full support to that, but the risks I have mentioned about Callum's appointment stand true, maybe even more so, this time.

Personally, I'd prefer Macca to spend more time, at Saints, in a coaching/youth development role, and/or to spend a couple of years managing in the lower leagues, to prove himself, as it feels to me that he has even less experience than Callum did when he took the job on.

TL:DR

I see Macca as a future Saints manager, and will fully back him when that time comes, just not sure now is the right time for either party.

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

is Macca the one to initiate these updates or has someone at the club woken up? either way its brilliant and long may it continue!

I imagine it's something they media team would have wanted for a while but Davidson was probably not up for it. 

I can't see the manager suggesting what updates he gives to the media internally.