Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

If the ownership situation is sorted out this summer, then no, probably. We’re a top flight premiership club and need to start acting like it, not giving the head coach gig and the task of a massive rebuild to someone with no managerial experience. Owner and new board’s first responsibility should be to conduct a proper interview process — Maclean should be invited to apply and if he’s the best candidate then fine. He’s done well to keep us up, lift the mood and get us playing some nice stuff but it’s not quite enough for me. And tbh I can’t help but feel he’s been really lucky our opponents lost their heads in 3 out of 4 matches so far. He’ll always be a legend but if he wants to be a football manager, maybe he needs to prove himself down the leagues first. 

If the ownership situation isn’t sorted this summer I could see the argument for keeping Maclean for a year-long audition so there’s at least some stability but even then that feels like risking a third consecutive relegation battle. If we did this Gus MacPherson would have to closely involve himself in the efforts to rebuild the squad.

You could argue that Davidson playing Ballantyne yesterday was, in part, him aiming to display that he is willing to mix it up and also that he is more minded to give youth a chance. In a way, making a clear distinction from Davidson.

I would imagine, that if interviews were to take place, then MacLean would have to make clear that he isn't just a continuity pick.

A lot will hinge on new owners, or lack of, so either that has to be progressed in next couple of weeks to a point where any new owner does the choosing, otherwise if up to the Browns, MacLean has a better chance.

Now we are secure and with a lot of rebuilding to do on the pitch and in the boardroom, the club is going to have to be more open on where things stand with the sale. 

It would be a no from me. MacLean has done a decent job, but the performances haven’t been convincing enough from a tactical standpoint and you get the impression that the players are simply a lot more motivated than before (as you’d expect to be the case during the first few games of any new manager’s reign). What happens when that effect wears off? I’m not sure he’d be the man to turn things around. Ultimately he has been a part of the management team for quite a long time, and that should be considered part of his audition process.

Also, I’ve noticed the complete radio silence of a few people who previously claimed to be superior fans due to their continued support of Callum Davidson. They obviously care a lot about the club’s fortunes, so I thought they’d be delighted that we’ve stayed up.

At the moment it's a "no" from me because I think we need a new perspective on the playing staff. 

Although I wouldn't be heartbroken if Macca does get it permanently. 

Was the Motherwell performance a bit of a red flag though? Or just an aberration? 

9 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Was the Motherwell performance a bit of a red flag though? Or just an aberration? 

This is a weird thing for me. We were horrendous. Yet the performance and energy in the other 3 tells me it was just a blip. Perhaps nerves got the best when we conceded and old habits crept in. 

Only one way we’re going to find out though. And that’s if Macca does get it permanently. 

First priority is for the Browns to clarify what is going on with the sale process, i.e. is there anything potentially imminent, or are we nowhere close.

That informs everything else and whether we might have the possibility to kick on this summer of if we are in for yet another season of trying to tread water. 

While the latter is preferable to a quick sale to the wrong people, it would really not be good to try and 'make do' for another season - we are going to get caught out eventually.

The Motherwell game was down to MacLean, in a way.

Carey in CM and Murphy wide were mistakes (understandable mistake, in Murphys case, IMO) and he then compounded it by making an absolute mess of subs and tactical changes after that.

Even then we only concede from a penalty and last minute goal when the defence is almost non-existent.

Did yesterday, choosing Ballantyne in CM instead of Carey/keeping subs simple, show he'd learned from that?

3 hours ago, The Marly said:

It wasn't just aimed at you, there have been others defending him (not just on here).  The fact you feel he could get 3/4 a season says it all - that's not nearly good enough.

His age is irrelevant.  Ballantyne I could see developing into a decent player for us, Rudden I can't.

I praised him for offering something. But I said he’s clearly limited and wasn’t  talking about him in the context of next season. He’s signed with Dundee for another year or so anyway.

He made runs and takes up positions where he can fluff his lines. How often do you see May or Bair make runs for tap ins on the six yard line?

May is an infinitely more talented player than Rudden, but he plays it safe. Dropping off, running out wide to get the ball miles from goal and lay it back to the full back. He offers very little in an attacking sense as a lone striker. That’s why he needs a centre forward alongside him, where you see his value.

I liked the threat and chaos that Rudden offered when he came on, though obviously space was opening up towards the end as killie had to chase the game.

Dundee fans slate him as well, but he’s only 23 so I don’t think I’d completely write him off at this level yet. He could do a job somewhere, and the likes of Jordan White show you don’t have to be technically great to make an impact.

It's a big no for me. Extremely happy he has kept us up but ultimately he was part of the problem that got us into this situation in the first place. I do not for one min think that macca would be that passive to not of swayed CD in his decisions.

Let's face it we have survived more by luck than anything else the two games we have won have been against 10 men and we have had the width of a goalpost to thank on 3 or 4 occasions. Performances have hardly been sparkling very far from it by and large we are still a shambles, certainly in midfield.

An argument could be made he was left with a load of shite but probably more than anything recruitment is the easiest thing for an assistant to influence the manager on so it's his shite as much as CD he is working with.

Being kind I think it would be too much too soon, would love him to work with Craig in the reserves and youth teams and then see where we are in a couple of years

In terms of Maclean, it depends on who else is interested.

He’s done a massive positive for the club in keeping us up.

He has shown he isn’t rooted to a set system, moving away from 3 CB’s. He’s also tried to play a more entertaining passing game and yesterday trying to get a second goal was a breath of fresh air instead of settling for 1-0.

In balance, playing May as a lone striker is a negative, but I like to think that’s because of the other striking options, rather than it’s his preference.  His positive results have all come in matches against 10 men. Motherwell second half was as bad as what we’ve seen. Would like to see a couple of positive performances v 11 over the next week.

The last few years watching Saints have been devoid of entertainment, from Tommy’s last season and the most recent two (obviously couldn’t be at the double season), so I’d like to see a manager who cares about a bit of entertainment for supporters, who wants us to score more goals and be more attacking.

f**k it, I’m probably veering towards yes give it to Macca.  

People seem to be missing the biggest issue around Macca being the assistant of Davidson's and being able to influence him etc. 

Davidson has shown at times extreme levels of stubbornness and inability to accept he was wrong. Some may have even called it arrogance?

Do we believe for a second Davidson was willing to listen to anyone elses point of view when it differed from his opinion? I have my doubts. 

5 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I'm a no too, it might be worth a risk of the squad was any good.

Massive rebuild needed & need an experienced manager for that.

Pretty much where I stand as well. MacLean has made going to games enjoyable again and it’s good to be going to games expecting a St. Johnstone team to take part. I would want him to be St. Johnstone manager at some point, but I do fear this is potentially too big a job. A massive rebuild is needed (again) in the next couple of years, throw in all the off the field stuff - is it fair put all that on a rookie manager? 

However, he certainly has the right personality to be a manager and MacLean is one who ‘got’ the club the minute he walked in the door, so I wouldn’t be disappointed if he did get it (and I think he will). 

One thing about giving Maclean a 2 year deal in the next few weeks is it protects us from new owners coming in and trying to make some really ‘out there’ selection that makes them look clever.

When you look at recent managerial selections:

Tony Ashgar Liam Fox Steven Glass Malky Mackay, any Dundee manager over the past 10 years, the Italian lad at killie, most Hibs managers, Ian Cathro, Graham Alexander, Alan Stubbs, Jim McIntyre, Tam Courts, Pedro Caxinha, Gary Holt…

How many managerial appointments at any premiership club over the past 5 years would we have been happy with?