Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 hours ago, KTID26 said:

I think you may have failed to appreciate you are one of the poorer teams in the league.

I realise it’s complicated, but just to explain how this whole thing works:-

Teams that finish in the bottom six are the poorer teams in the league.

Teams that finish in the top half are the better teams.

Saying you d got faith in the team and your confident we can stay up was all that was needed. Becoming the second coming of Steven Pressley when the team might not be able to back it up is just stupid. 

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

It was fairly predictable that MacLean's words would be used against him by the other relegation-battling managers. Not sure quite what theyellowbox was expecting.

My point is that are MacLeans comments in any way going to be a negative for the saints players? no. Are they going to be positive for the Killie players? no. McInnes of course will reference it as he was asked about it. But in reality, what difference does it make to Killie? Had MacLean said Killie were shite and smell like a Dundonian Hookers downstairs, then aye, they'd stick that on the dressing room door and use it, but him saying he thinks saints will win and stay up? Nah.

Given confidence is massive and the saints players respect him, his comments would be welcome by the players. I'd rather have a boss saying he has every confidence in me that one saying, your day will be a tough one and let's do our best.

I think folk over inflate this notion that any player cares what other coaches, pundits or fans say about anything to be honest. Pretty sure Jordan Jones isn't going to raise his game another 5-10% because the saints managers sales he thinks saints will win! 🙄

Edited by Theyellowbox

6 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

My point is that are MacLeans comments in any way going to be a negative for the saints players? no

Piling pressure on a fragile squad, and telling them their struggles will be over this weekend, when youre away to play one of the best home teams in the country on a shit pitch who've battered you in both previous encounters there. What happens if we lose? 

I think folk over inflate this notion that any player cares what other coaches, pundits or fans say about anything to be honest. Pretty sure Jordan Jones isn't going to raise his game another 5-10% because the saints managers sales he thinks saints will win!

Did you just miss the whole Jackie McNamara v Saints era? Literally the perfect example of players raising their game to get it right up a manager who arrogantly dismissed them. I like MacLean but from a Kilmarnock perspective thats exactly what his comments are.

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, you're below us in the leagyw after we've gone on a run of about 2 wins in 5 months

Kilmarnock fans have this really weird confidence about their side that comes from absolutely nowhere.

You should thank an incompitant referee for point 1 above. 

Neither weird nor confident. 

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I realise it’s complicated, but just to explain how this whole thing works:-

Teams that finish in the bottom six are the poorer teams in the league.

Teams that finish in the top half are the better teams.

Compliated............... only for you!

8 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Killie were shite and smell like a Dundonian Hookers downstairs

I thought they normally lived in flats. So my friend told me anyway.

8 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Pretty sure Jordan Jones isn't going to raise his game another 5-10% because the saints managers sales he thinks saints will win! 🙄

Nah. He'll just pin a picture of James Brown in an Aaron Comrie mask up on his locker.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Piling pressure on a fragile squad, and telling them their struggles will be over this weekend, when youre away to play one of the best home teams in the country on a shit pitch who've battered you in both previous encounters there. What happens if we lose? 

Did you just miss the whole Jackie McNamara v Saints era? Literally the perfect example of players raising their game to get it right up a manager who arrogantly dismissed them. I like MacLean but from a Kilmarnock perspective thats exactly what his comments are.

I don't think McLean's comments are great, but they're not disastrous.  Comparing them with the MacNamara era is nonsense.  Saints dominated United then because we were a far better team than them - nothing more, nothing less.

Agree with Yellowbox here - I don't buy the idea that Maclean's comments really make any difference to the opposition. Killie are already fighting to stay in the league, any 'bulletin board material' isn't going to make them try 10% harder.

And in terms of the impact on our own players - maybe he felt he needed to put a bit of pressure on them to get them to up their game. Not the approach I'd have taken, but going by that second half against Motherwell there's clearly a mentality issue that needed addressed. We'll see if it works. 

As others have said, I'll be glad to see the back of the majority of this shitebag squad. 

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

And in terms of the impact on our own players - maybe he felt he needed to put a bit of pressure on them to get them to up their game. Not the approach I'd have taken, but going by that second half against Motherwell there's clearly a mentality issue that needed addressed. We'll see if it works

Exactly. He will know the characters much better than we do. Some will take positive from a manger believing in them, some will see it as added pressure in a good way and others may well crumble under the pressure.

I suspect he will know who would take what from his comments and so in balance felt it the best approach. As you say, Motherwell game showed up glaring mentality issues.

For the players, the Motherwell game was probably quite a tricky one. On one hand, they knew a win would see is effectively safe, but on the other, It looked as if a few of them maybe felt the job was done after the Utd game and maybe werent as fired up as they should have been. For tomorrow, the objective is very clear.

As for comparisons to McNamara, that was very very different. Saints had a hoodoo over Utd in that period and he just couldn't find a way to get one over Wright and Wright knew it, so wound him up. MacLean isn't doing that with Del. He didn't say anything negative about Killie and swatted off any issue over the pitch (while at the same time making it pretty clear he felt he vould have played on it as he did with Hearts). 

34 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

have they been training on the pitch long?

Or only since part of the training pitch started getting work done?

Due to the road works outside Tesco i pass the training pitches just now as things are being set up and its only been this week that ive not seen anything happening so possibly for the last week.

3 hours ago, The Marly said:

I don't think McLean's comments are great, but they're not disastrous.  Comparing them with the MacNamara era is nonsense.  Saints dominated United then because we were a far better team than them - nothing more, nothing less.

Psychologically we got into Uniteds head, thanks to McNamaras comments. He created a situation where they had to "play football" to beat us while we enjoyed, and revelled, in the freedom created from being classed as cloggers.

Just ignoring that as "being a better team" is silly, to me, and ignores a major part of football. A players mindset is as important as tactics in determining a result, so a major part of being a manager is getting that right. To me we've put pressure on ourselves, which usually leads to the whole squad crumbling the moment they fall behind, so all hes done is set us up for a fall. You cant just magically solve a deep rooted mental issue within a group by being overly confident in public, keep that for the dressing room IMO.

Kilmarnock go into this game confident due to their home record and our form, and now know our, fragile, squad has to win to both save face, and to stay safe, as our manager has told them this is the week.

Every chance they go into a huge game v County with a cowed manager who has no idea what to say after being publicly embarrassed, and a squad thats under increasing pressure and stress whi just failed a game they were "guaranteed" to win.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Psychologically we got into Uniteds head, thanks to McNamaras comments. He created a situation where they had to "play football" to beat us while we enjoyed, and revelled, in the freedom created from being classed as cloggers.

Just ignoring that as "being a better team" is silly, to me, and ignores a major part of football. A players mindset is as important as tactics in determining a result, so a major part of being a manager is getting that right. To me we've put pressure on ourselves, which usually leads to the whole squad crumbling the moment they fall behind, so all hes done is set us up for a fall. You cant just magically solve a deep rooted mental issue within a group by being overly confident in public, keep that for the dressing room IMO.

Kilmarnock go into this game confident due to their home record and our form, and now know our, fragile, squad has to win to both save face, and to stay safe, as our manager has told them this is the week.

Every chance they go into a huge game v County with a cowed manager who has no idea what to say after being publicly embarrassed, and a squad thats under increasing pressure and stress whi just failed a game they were "guaranteed" to win.

I think you over think things tbh.  That Saints team went in to every game believing they could win it. Some of that would have been down to the manager, most of it was down to the character of the players.   They didn't approach Dundee United matches differently from others.