Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Telling everyone we will, absolutely guaranteed, 100%, be in the Premiership next season is just moronic at this stage. All it does is put a target on your back and its not a game, the players wont just suddenly wake up full of confidence now.

Managers can be like that if they can back it up. So far MacLean has 4pts against two sides with 10 men, and a comfortable loss to a team whos seasons over, in his managerial career. And that with the inevitable bounce we were always getting once Davidson was punted.

Im just fucking sick of Saints managers/players spouting nonsense about what we'll do when theyre part of, comfortably, one of the worst groups we've had in a decade.

I think you need to look at some of you own comments in my book you are a total and utter knickers wetter some of your posts I  find bizarre I personally would want a manager who is trying to talk up his team than the shit that came out of Davidson mouth if it comes about that he fails to live up to what he  said probably no harm done as the way were playing we where going down under Davidson 

11 minutes ago, Total stranger said:

I think you need to look at some of you own comments in my book you are a total and utter knickers wetter some of your posts I  find bizarre I personally would want a manager who is trying to talk up his team than the shit that came out of Davidson mouth if it comes about that he fails to live up to what he  said probably no harm done as the way were playing we where going down under Davidson 

It’s good to be positive and upbeat and try to motivate the support, which Macca has done well up til now.

But what’s the point in making these statements about the outcome?  There’s absolutely no guarantees in football so it’s just empty words really. Look back to Steven Pressley with Falkirk and he was obviously trying some positive mental attitude stuff or been speaking to a sports psychologist, but they still got relegated and he ended up looking like a fanny.

Say less do more. 

9 hours ago, Total stranger said:

He can talk the team up, and be positive, but dont "guarantee" safety when youve been watching your side plummet down the table for 6 months and have zero track record to back you up at all. Lets not forget he was a major part of the staff over the past 3 years, hes not some outsider whos come into the shitstorm to save us, he was part of creating it.

Killie/County, both away, in our next 2 games. Lose both and we're deep in the shit, and MacLean has just guaranteed everyone we're winning at least one of those games. Its now an easy team talk for teams who both battered us last time we played them.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Where the manager and players have got it right this week is just dismissing any questions about the third trip to Rugby Park. It creates an excuse when we don't have the room for one. That's all.been handled well.

I often wonder if folk used to dissect the fixture list in the days when there were 14 teams in the lower tiers and you only played sides 3 times. I suspect not, they just got on with it.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Where the manager and players have got it right this week is just dismissing any questions about the third trip to Rugby Park. It creates an excuse when we don't have the room for one. That's all.been handled well.

I often wonder if folk used to dissect the fixture list in the days when there were 14 teams in the lower tiers and you only played sides 3 times. I suspect not, they just got on with it.

Hadn’t seen that, but glad to hear that’s the case.

We’re on a run of 3 wins in 18 matches starting from 4th in the table mid-December.  Following our win over Utd, we needed one win from 4 matches against the poorer teams in the league.  

So let’s be honest, making out our relegation hinges on unfortunately having to make a third trip to Rugby Park would be some reach. 

It’s all in our own hands.

59 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hadn’t seen that, but glad to hear that’s the case.

We’re on a run of 3 wins in 18 matches starting from 4th in the table mid-December.  Following our win over Utd, we needed one win from 4 matches against the poorer teams in the league.  

So let’s be honest, making out our relegation hinges on unfortunately having to make a third trip to Rugby Park would be some reach. 

It’s all in our own hands.

I think you may have failed to appreciate you are one of the poorer teams in the league.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Telling everyone we will, absolutely guaranteed, 100%, be in the Premiership next season is just moronic at this stage. All it does is put a target on your back and its not a game, the players wont just suddenly wake up full of confidence now.

Managers can be like that if they can back it up. So far MacLean has 4pts against two sides with 10 men, and a comfortable loss to a team whos seasons over, in his managerial career. And that with the inevitable bounce we were always getting once Davidson was punted.

Im just fucking sick of Saints managers/players spouting nonsense about what we'll do when theyre part of, comfortably, one of the worst groups we've had in a decade.

No denying MacLean is part of the problem as to why we are where we are, but what else is he supposed to say? We'll go down to Killie, but we expect to lose as they are better on their shitty pitch? He has to say that we will stay up, otherwise we would all rightly get annoyed at him.

I highly doubt Killie, Utd or County players are either aware or care what a Saints manager says. His comments were directed squarely at his own players. He can now go into the dressing room and say that he believes in them and he has said do publicly. If he came out and waffled on about tough games and 3 cup finals etc, that does no help to the players whatsoever. 

59 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

I think you may have failed to appreciate you are one of the poorer teams in the league.

I mean, you're below us in the leagyw after we've gone on a run of about 2 wins in 5 months

Kilmarnock fans have this really weird confidence about their side that comes from absolutely nowhere.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He can talk the team up, and be positive, but dont "guarantee" safety when youve been watching your side plummet down the table for 6 months and have zero track record to back you up at all. Lets not forget he was a major part of the staff over the past 3 years, hes not some outsider whos come into the shitstorm to save us, he was part of creating it.

Killie/County, both away, in our next 2 games. Lose both and we're deep in the shit, and MacLean has just guaranteed everyone we're winning at least one of those games. Its now an easy team talk for teams who both battered us last time we played them.

So would you rather have Davidson alway talking the team down saying we are lucky to be in this league or someone  trying to big the team up.  as for being part of the problem do you know how the management system  works, manager, ass manager then coaches the only person to blame is the previous manager who was probably to stubborn to listen  to anyone's advice and do you really think young Brown would let macca stay on as temp manager if he was that bad . yes your right there is no guarantees in football but McLean is quite obviously wanting this job and is trying to say the right things to get it he might end up with egg on his face in which case it will be bye bye  thank for your efforts now f**k off 

1 hour ago, KTID26 said:

I think the point is that we’re playing the teams around us, not Celtic/Rangers. Nobody is disbursing the fact we are shite. 

1 hour ago, Total stranger said:

So would you rather have Davidson alway talking the team down saying we are lucky to be in this league or someone  trying to big the team up.  

Again, ive no issue with a manager trying to show confidence. This was beyond that for me and is just making things needlessly harder for himself.

as for being part of the problem do you know how the management system  works, manager, ass manager then coaches the only person to blame is the previous manager who was probably to stubborn to listen  to anyone's advice and do you really think young Brown would let macca stay on as temp manager if he was that bad

I dont think its right at all to give MacLean a completely free pass for his role over the past 3 seasons. He has to take his share of the blame and im sure he'd admit that.

"Young Brown" isnt deciding anything. Hes watched the shambles unfold for a long time with the knowledge he walks away into the sunset this Summer regardless.

yes your right there is no guarantees in football but McLean is quite obviously wanting this job and is trying to say the right things to get it he might end up with egg on his face in which case it will be bye bye  thank for your efforts now f**k off

Thats nice for him, but if it goes wrong we're relegated while having no owners, no board, no manager and needing to rebuild a squad. This is serious stuff and not just a 5 game "whatever happens happens" audition for MacLean.

The half arsed "thatll do" option of giving him the final 5 games sums nicely how we've ended up circling the drain in the first place.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The half arsed "thatll do" option of giving him the final 5 games sums nicely how we've ended up circling the drain in the first place.

Every chance that exact attitude continues if he does manage to keep us up as well

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Every chance that exact attitude continues if he does manage to keep us up as well

Aye.

Circling the drain for years, and it only leads to one thing.

All stems from the top too.