Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

32 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

He has been overlooked for the managers job a few times now and arguably got demoted when Davidson was made manager as MacLean was assistant.

Unless I'm missing something, he was demoted by Davidson? 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Their forum currently has some hoping they sign "successful" signings like James Brown, while others think he'll tighten up their leaky defence as he used to be a defender.

That’s classic rationalising behaviour. Any glance at the evidence will confirm that none of the above is true of his time at saints. Our defence has gotten actively worse as time has gone on ffs :lol: 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

That’s classic rationalising behaviour. Any glance at the evidence will confirm that none of the above is true of his time at saints. Our defence has gotten actively worse as time has gone on ffs :lol: 

Seems like a lot of folk are just assuming his "boring, goal-less" football is because it was defensive, rather than because it was just shit.

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

He must be on forums not frequented by me, or as usual he’s talking shite. Dundee fans are unanimous that this is a hideous appointment with no redeeming features. 
We conceded the fewest goals in the entire league last season. 

23 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

He must be on forums not frequented by me, or as usual he’s talking shite. Dundee fans are unanimous that this is a hideous appointment with no redeeming features. 
We conceded the fewest goals in the entire league last season. 

Screenshot_20230517_115628_Chrome.thumb.jpg.32d20addde29e39ed71b0c53c04e9f62.jpg

Screenshot_20230517_115644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4e0de2d68631e2708178e1cb3de6cf50.jpg

His move to Dundee seems to be off now. Pity, that would’ve all but secured at least the play offs for us next season, if we manage to stay up this year of course. 

Smartest move hes made for a long time. Too much (rebuilding a squad after promotion), too soon.

Needs to properly reflect on his time with us, without blaming others, and try and get back to the ideas hes had at the very start. Then pick a club thats fairly steady and has a good core.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Smartest move hes made for a long time. Too much (rebuilding a squad after promotion), too soon.

Needs to properly reflect on his time with us, without blaming others, and try and get back to the ideas hes had at the very start. Then pick a club thats fairly steady and has a good core.

I doubt that's his reason for turning it down. More likely there's a job in the offing that he considers a better fit for him.  Under 21s coach at Millwall most likely.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Good one.

Only club he should be picking is out of a bag.

Just meaning if you were advising him of the next best move for his own career.

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Don't know Clelland well or heard much about his coaching ability but we've all heard rumours about him wanting a managers job. 

If he is going with Davidson what does that say about the club at the moment?

On one hand someone leaving after such a long period of service could suggest he's no longer enjoying working at the club and isn't happy about current direction.

On the other hand though maybe he'd just want a fresh start and liked working with Davidson?

I think it's only fair though if he does go that he's thanked for the hard work over many years in what's been a successful period. 

First person I bumped into when I got out the car in Luzern.

Was a nice chap. Other than that, I know next to nothing.

5 hours ago, Radford said:

Steven MacLean giving off heavy Steven Pressley/Darren Jackson vibes with his latest quotes.

Just keep it shut and deliver a performance on Saturday.

Exactly what went through my head when reading them.  Totally naïve to come out with that publicly.  It feels as if we don't realise how much shit we are actually in.    

4 hours ago, Costanza said:

Exactly what went through my head when reading them.  Totally naïve to come out with that publicly.  It feels as if we don't realise how much shit we are actually in.    

Have been quite impressed by his interviews since getting the job, but that will add extra unnecessary pressure onto things. Hopefully it gets more of a response from the players.

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

I feel like Steven MacLean has maybe been trying a bit too hard to impress the fans and decision-makers, whoever they may be.  Although it’s quite refreshing to see such a change in the general demeanour of our (temporary) manager, it sometimes comes across like he’s over-compensating in his attempts to land the job permanently.

28 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

While he probably doesn't need to say what he's said...

Davidsons utter negativity about being lucky to be in that League etc etc certainly didn't work in motivating the players so at least he's trying the opposite of that!

I know what I'd rather hear as well. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see anything that he has said that he shouldn't. He's said we will be in the Premier league and win at the weekend and and we will be in the Premier league. 

I'd far rather a manager who was saying to the players and fans that we WILL do something than one who moans that we cannot. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see anything that he has said that he shouldn't. He's said we will be in the Premier league and win at the weekend and and we will be in the Premier league. 

I'd far rather a manager who was saying to the players and fans that we WILL do something than one who moans that we cannot. 

I'd say it's more the putting it out there to be shot down. These things do come back to bite some, let's hope it's not us.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Telling everyone we will, absolutely guaranteed, 100%, be in the Premiership next season is just moronic at this stage. All it does is put a target on your back and its not a game, the players wont just suddenly wake up full of confidence now.

Managers can be like that if they can back it up. So far MacLean has 4pts against two sides with 10 men, and a comfortable loss to a team whos seasons over, in his managerial career. And that with the inevitable bounce we were always getting once Davidson was punted.

Im just fucking sick of Saints managers/players spouting nonsense about what we'll do when theyre part of, comfortably, one of the worst groups we've had in a decade.