Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

They signed them all, but that performance was on the players today. They’re still professionals playing against a very average Motherwell team with little to play for.

This was the game that confirmed our safety so we were still focused.

If you had any attacking threat you might have taken something from the match as we weren’t quite at it in the first half.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

They signed them all, but that performance was on the players today. They’re still professionals playing against a very average Motherwell team with little to play for.

Its all very well Brown coming out with that in an interview, but is it Davidson’s fault he’s so limited on the ball that every time he gets on it at right back with acres of space in front of him all he wants to do is turn back?  It’s not Davidson that asks Carey to kick a corner straight out for a goal kick. Or MacPherson to hit every dead ball at the first man.

Callum Davidson is gone, and rightly so, but too many imposters making a living in football are always looking to blame others. A wee bit self-awareness and have a wee think about that utter shite 5 or 6 of them produced in that second half in a huge game for us is required this weekend.

I agree with this post, but Davidson signed Brown having seen him for a couple of years at Millwall and having seen what he’s capable of for 6 months on a loan at the club. Same can be said for literally every other player, who Davidson signed or extended their contract. He’s left us in a terrible state. All we can really hope is that Maclean can fire a rocket up their arse enough to keep us up and try and start again in the summer.  

I know we have injuries but look at what we had to bring off the bench today. It’s totally unacceptable to have so much dead wood at a football club. Even Falkirk wouldn’t take a lot of the dumplings we have on our books. 

Goodness knows why Davidson was allowed to sign some of the players at the club currently. We could easily field an 11 that would be relegated from the championship .

Edited by Kyle

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

This was the game that confirmed our safety so we were still focused.

If you had any attacking threat you might have taken something from the match as we weren’t quite at it in the first half.

I’m not sure you were really at it in the second half either really, we just gave away a stupid penalty and then played into your hands by deciding that a strategy/game plan is overrated. 

Id say it was incredible that Macpherson lasted the 90 minutes today, but then you look at the bench/what else we had on the park and there wasn’t any alternatives. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’m not sure you were really at it in the second half either really, we just gave away a stupid penalty and then played into your hands by deciding that a strategy/game plan is overrated. 

Aye we only looked positive when you were chasing the game.

Was that you chasing the game? 

Just now, ropy said:

Aye we only looked positive when you were chasing the game.

Was that you chasing the game? 

Can’t be sure. Think we might’ve been chasing the Kilmarnock vs Livingston game as it didn’t look like we were chasing ours.

I'm still fucking furious.  That was a  performance of utter shitebaggery.  None of them did themselves any favours today.

And I'm fed up of hearing of McPherson "there's a player in there".  Maybe a fucking snooker player or a water polo player,  but definitely no a football player.  He's  not good enough,  end of.

No McPherson fan but at least he tries to contribute. Guys like Murphy get away contributing next to nothing. What an absolute waste of a wage.

We were good during for the first half but need to kill games in situations like that. Big problem today is the lack of depth. Bair, Rudden and McLennan - just nowhere good enough to carry a threat at this level.

Thought MacLean should have given it 10-15 minutes with Rudden in the 4-4-2 but it descended into an all too similar shambles when chasing the game. 

Kane looked more keen to but his body on the line after 18 months out than Bair did.

12 minutes ago, Costanza said:

If there was a sport that solely involved throwing your hands up in the air and looking confused then MacPherson would excel at that. 

Totally this. How many times does he overhit or miss hit the ball and then gesture as if to say 'why didn't you get that'. There was one in the 2nd half today where it sailed over Montgomery's ( I think) head and he blamed him for not getting it.

We could carry a 'project' player like MacPherson if we were in a better place as he does have ability. But, after nearly 2 years, he needs to be showing more than he does. 

I don't think any of the players we have in the squad are terrible footballers as such, but for various reasons, the majority of them are not right for saints.

Bair, MacPherson, Mahon and Etu have had significant fees spent on them by Saints and we have had/got nothing in return. Murphy and Carey will be on significant wages and we have got nothing. Considine has been OK, but he cannot last more than a few games at a time and we cannot carry him. 

Overall, the total lack of any structure or plan in the signings are really really showing, when it has come to the time for the players to step up. 

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

I agree with this post, but Davidson signed Brown having seen him for a couple of years at Millwall and having seen what he’s capable of for 6 months on a loan at the club. Same can be said for literally every other player, who Davidson signed or extended their contract. He’s left us in a terrible state. All we can really hope is that Maclean can fire a rocket up their arse enough to keep us up and try and start again in the summer.  

I think the one thing everyone forgets is that he came on loan to us under Miller in our first season up, played one game and was so bad he was never seen again. He'd already failed in a season up here 

Posted this on WAP. Apologies if it's "not cool" to post the same thing on both. Not sure of the unwritten rules. Here you are anyway...

I'm still amazed that Tommy Wright sits at home doing nothing while we have to endure this garbage.

MacLean might be a good manager one day, but putting him in this kind of quagmire straight away is unfair on him, us and the club.

He needs a year or two further down the leagues to earn his stripes.

His "throw all the strikers on" attitude against Motherwell was alarming.

Stevie May needs a striking partner. MacLean of all people should know that since he was once that very person.

When May is not in a two he spends too much time tracking back and chasing the ball. He was effective ten years ago out wide on the left and cutting back in on his right where he could shoot or cross/pass into the box.

Why the manager can't opt for the simple, effective and suited to our squad 4-4-2 formation is beyond me.

MacLean's mindset is far better and positive than Davidson's but I feel he doesn't have the experience to back it up.

That's why teams like Crystal Palace get Hodgson, Huddersfield get Warnock and Leeds get Allardyce. They're old hands and they've done it before.

We should have gotten Tommy in the two week break and his experience and connection with the club would have served us well.

As for this squad, well, imagine a match between this lot and the cup winning side of 2014. Who'd you think would win?...

Aye, the decision to sack Davidson was about 3 months late.

The decision to hire MacLean was lazy.

If we get relegated its what we deserve for years of ineptitude across the board.

A clean sweep behind the scenes, of the coaching staff, and of a massive chunk of the squad, is required. Problem is thats risky as f**k if it goes wrong and we're probably already behind the vast majority of sides we'll be competing with next season regardless of division.

5 hours ago, Gekko said:

Posted this on WAP. Apologies if it's "not cool" to post the same thing on both. Not sure of the unwritten rules. Here you are anyway...

I'm still amazed that Tommy Wright sits at home doing nothing while we have to endure this garbage.

MacLean might be a good manager one day, but putting him in this kind of quagmire straight away is unfair on him, us and the club.

Stevie May needs a striking partner. MacLean of all people should know that since he was once that very person.

When May is not in a two he spends too much time tracking back and chasing the ball. He was effective ten years ago out wide on the left and cutting back in on his right where he could shoot or cross/pass into the box.

Why the manager can't opt for the simple, effective and suited to our squad 4-4-2 formation is beyond me.

MacLean's mindset is far better and positive than Davidson's but I feel he doesn't have the experience to back it up.

That's why teams like Crystal Palace get Hodgson, Huddersfield get Warnock and Leeds get Allardyce. They're old hands and they've done it before.

We should have gotten Tommy in the two week break and his experience and connection with the club would have served us well.

As for this squad, well, imagine a match between this lot and the cup winning side of 2014. Who'd you think would win?...

Has Tommy indicated he wants to come back?

On the one hand I'm ready to consign Maclean ball to the bin based on the fact it involves May as a sole striker, which as many have said should be more obviously a bad idea to Maclean than to anyone else. 

But would it work with Kane up front and May left? 

Maybe, but I doubt Kane will be back fully fit enough for us to find out this year, and I don't really want to give Maclean into next season to test it unless Hughes and the like are the only applicants 

17 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

On the one hand I'm ready to consign Maclean ball to the bin based on the fact it involves May as a sole striker, which as many have said should be more obviously a bad idea to Maclean than to anyone else. 

But would it work with Kane up front and May left? 

Maybe, but I doubt Kane will be back fully fit enough for us to find out this year, and I don't really want to give Maclean into next season to test it unless Hughes and the like are the only applicants 

I'd be amazed if "Hughes and the like" are the only applicants tbh.

6 hours ago, Gekko said:

I'm not sure it's a Tommy type that's needed at the minute. Have you been around him other than seeing his media stuff? I like the big man but he was just as distant with a lot of players, the same as Davidson was. There's also the fact of his leaving and subsequent comments made to take into consideration. It's a no from me on so many levels.

We are where we are, folk need to realise Maclean is getting his chance whether that leads to relegation or not. There are absolutely loads of folk who've been at fault this season at Saints and they've all contributed to this absolute shitshow and the time to reflect on this is in 3, possibly 5 games time. I personally think Davidson shouldn't have been in charge this season and that is solely on bulletproof. Potentially ruining his fathers legacy is a nice thing to finish on and a thing you see in a lot of businesses when handed to children who simply don't possess what their parents had.

29 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

One thing I’d say about Maclean playing May up front is that we’re sort of stuck in that situation because we simply don’t have a striker with any quality to play alongside him.

Kane showed more in his 10 minutes on the park than Rudden or Bair ever have. I do feel for Steven MacLean having been lumbered with that pair as the only alternative to May.

If we were going to do something else manager wise, it had to be done 3 weeks ago. We are either going to sink or swim with MacLean now. He'll be judged on it but so will those who made the decision to appoint him. His reaction to being behind yesterday was very, very worrying.

42 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

One thing I’d say about Maclean playing May up front is that we’re sort of stuck in that situation because we simply don’t have a striker with any quality to play alongside him.

I assume its why hes playing Wright really narrow, so theres somebody close to May + when May fucks off chasing the ball it leaves someone up front too.

It harms us though as MacPherson is then dragged out right, Phillips doesnt fully understand his role and sits really deep, while Carey vanishes defensively. Been far too easy under MacLean for teams to play through us in CM.