Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 hours ago, Radford said:

I reckoned 20 were decent enough, so we are pretty much on the same page.

I'm sure I saw a post (although I can't find it now looking back over the past few pages) where someone said 2 or 3 were good. That was ridiculously harsh but, as I say, I can't find it now.

The fact there's 38 names on the list is the issue for me.   That's a ridiculous amount of signings in three seasons. 

Still not sure what the rush was to sell McCann that window. Preston was neither such a good move he couldnt turn it down, while the money wasnt so good we couldnt turn it down. We would surely have had similar offers no matter what.

As for MacPherson/Phillips, theyre a lot better than what we've had lately, but its not something we couldnt improve on. MacPherson tries but he cant control a match, while Phillips passing seems flaky. If you could add someone used to controlling games from deep i would. Scott Allardice/Brad Spencer both do that in the Championship and deserve a step up.

Add one. Have MacPherson/Phillips/Max/Wotherspoon and maybe even Ferguson competing to play alongside them, dependent on what you want. Thats on the assumption Hallberg is leaving. 

Brown believes the square pegs in square holes theory has McDiarmid merit.

“I feel like we’ve got boys playing in the strongest position all over the pitch now, which has helped us massively,” he pointed out.

“We’ve got players who know their roles and can do them effectively.

“It’s maybe no coincidence that there’s been a bit of an uptick in form since then.”

Ooft

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ooft

Seems to follow on from Careys, admittedly more guarded, comments last week. Clear the players themselves were enjoying the style of play under Davidson as much as the fans.

Regarding the signings under Davidson, how many players have met or exceeded expectations. Phillips is the only one that's exceeded and maybe Melemed Hallberg, Clark and Considine at a push. There's a lot of experienced and therefore probably expensive signings in there that have been fine but no more. Notably again this season that the players sweeping up the POTYs are pre-Davidson arrivals. 

Last season's recruitment was horrendous. Jacob Butterfield correcting his manager about him being a box to box midfielder in the week he arrived was a particular highlight.

Edited by nelsjfc

4 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

The more and more you hear from players since CD left is pretty telling of how CD was and how he wanted us to play. No wonder it was so bad for so long. 

Im surprised by the players saying it, tbh.

Mahon and Vertainen you can understand, Max maybe too. But Carey and Brown? Feels proper "turned the weans against us" seeing those two criticising him so was the whole squad thinking that way? 

Did always wonder if players would start blaming him when they started getting criticised.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mahon and Vertainen you can understand, Max maybe too. But Carey and Brown? Feels proper "turned the weans against us" seeing those two criticising him so was the whole squad thinking that way? 

Did always wonder if players would start blaming him when they started getting criticised.

That’s the thing though isn’t it - Davidson threw the players under the bus so often rather than take reaponsibility himself, it’s not a surprise they are biting back now. 

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know a couple of the players and I would never break that trust with them by posting stuff on here but some of the things I've heard you just shake your head in disbelief. 

Anyway really enjoying the change of interviews/style of play under macca. Refreshing to just see little things like 6 players in the opposing box when a cross comes in etc. 

Edited by perthsaint1977

Football is so old fashioned in so many ridiculous ways. It's shite that players have to down tools like we've clearly seen recently rather than being able to have a frank conversation with a manager about what's going wrong.

9 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Football is so old fashioned in so many ridiculous ways. It's shite that players have to down tools like we've clearly seen recently rather than being able to have a frank conversation with a manager about what's going wrong.

What happens if that manager does not engage with his players/staff....

With how we performed v County and livi I did think he’d lost some of the dressing room. However it sounds like he lost a majority of it. 

Brown comes across as quite reserved/laid back, so the fact he’s come out saying that is pretty galling. I really don’t blame him though and it was something we’ve all been saying for about 18 months. 

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What's actually wrong with Booth?

AN INJURY dating back 10 years may have ensured Callum Booth does not play a single game this season.

The St Johnstone player is yet to feature at all this campaign after undergoing a double Achilles operation last summer.

A groin issue has delayed his comeback further and he told Courier Sport that, despite aiming to be back before the final fixtures next month, it might not be possible.

He said: “Obviously, time is ticking away and there has not been too much improvement.

“We will see if I can get back – it would be a great bonus – but we will just have to wait and see.

“I am not putting a timescale on it and I will just try to feel better and get to the bottom of it.

“There were a lot of new signings and good players came in last season and it would have been good to play with some of them as well.

“It has been so frustrating and it has been nearly a year I have been out.

“It has been really tough, very frustrating, but it is part of the game I suppose.

“Up until this year, I have been fairly lucky with injuries.”

The Achilles injury had been “bothering me for years”, with the issue getting worse towards the end of last season.

Booth played 34 games for St Johnstone last term but missed the final four fixtures after coming off against former side Livingston.

He added: “It was when I was at Raith [2013/14] that I started feeling them [his Achilles].

“I did not do too much about it and struggled on for a couple of years.

“The physiotherapist at Partick Thistle gave me exercises and treatments.

“I have been getting injections, trying all sorts, and I have got a rusty old machine from the gym in the garage and I go on that a couple of times a week to help them.

“I have tried shockwave therapy, acupuncture, insoles in my boots and the last option was to get the operation.”

, it was thought the surgery would keep Booth on the sidelines for up to six months.

However, during his comeback, he injured his groin in a friendly, with medical staff trying to resolve that issue to allow him to play before the end of the season.

Booth, from Haddington, joined the Perth side in 2019 after a move to Bury broke down when the Gigg Lane side were expelled from the English Football League.

The 31-year-old signed with St Johnstone until the following January before inking a contract extension.

In his second season at McDiarmid Park, he helped the side to an historic cup double – defeating Livingston in the final of the Scottish League Cup and Hibernian in the final of the Scottish Cup.

He said: “I’m lucky I have got another year on my contract, so, that is good. It is always frustrating being out injured but I am definitely lucky that I have got another year.”

Edited by RandomGuy.