Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I'm not sure I can remember a player that has carried as much good will as Bair. Even on Saturday, he got a great reception off the bench,. Then with his first touch kicked the ball about 30 yards in front of him as he tried to dribble with it.

And Steven MacLean doing himself no favours trying to tell us that Davidson did a fantastic job. This is one of reasons I'm probably sided on a new broom so we can properly rid ourselves of the lingering stench of Davidson.

I'm prepared to give Macca till the end of the season and see how we are doing then, how he changes things and importantly, how he comes across in interviews.  I'd  also prefer to see which new brooms are available.  But like you, part of me thinks a completely new start might be best.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

This is one of reasons I'm probably sided on a new broom so we can properly rid ourselves of the lingering stench of Davidson.

It's going to take a lot more than getting rid of Macca. Big clear out and HOPEFULLY* new owners in place for next season. 

* that may not be as straightforward as one thought.

The squad is still in a bit of a shambles up until the end of the 2024 season. We've got some good players but we've got some players who really aren't up to it signed until 2024, and a selection of older players who are just about ok at the moment but who could fall off a cliff before their contracts expire.

I'd agree that the budget will probably reduce - unless we get Hollywood owners or something. It's why I'd be inclined to let almost all the out of contract players go. Harsh on some but we do need to improve the quality of the squad and that would help open up the budget a bit for any new manager.

The squad is too big and there are certainly gaps but, as no fan of Davidson, some of the comments across various platforms on the complete recruitment picture are harsh.

Would I trust him not to end up with a bloated and unbalanced squad, not at all, but would I expect there to be decent players in areas, I think you have to be fair and say yes.

When folk talk about only a handful of good signings, they are doing a disservice not just to Davidson but also guys that have done a decent job for us. They maybe weren't strategically great signings but to rubbish 80% to 90% of the guys that have played for us over the past three seasons is poor IMO.

Look, a 50% strike-rate still isn't great but would be a fairer reflection of things. As I say, the overall squad building job was poor and he has lumbered us with some shite on long deals but if you simply take footballers at face value based on ability, there were a number of decent ones.

God. What a situation. Having to defend Callum Davidson.

Edited by Radford

Recruitment is hard for clubs like Saints. There's going to be hits and misses along the way. The fee spending and length of contracts just makes the recent misses much poorer business. 

It's also partly why Saints shouldn't be so hasty to just allow everyone currently out of contract to leave. It won't be "easy" to find serious upgrades on those players. The likes of Spoony, Kane and even Hallberg. Especially as we'll be going into the market later than some clubs due to the league position, no manager for next season and potentially due to pending new owners no transfer business being able to be done.

Could be left with us looking at 3rd, 4th of 5th options down the list due to the better options sorting deals elsewhere by the time we're ready. 

there's a few in contract and out of contract that are obvious candidates to leave though.

This Summer was a good window and, ignoring the likes of Sandford, its hard to claim any "failed".

The failure was on the managers part for building an unbalanced squad and not using it correctly.

Theres numerous players who are classed as failures mostly because he set them up to fail.

36 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Does anyone have a list of all Davidsons signings at hand?

I'd like to see them in black and white before I deride Radford.

Pinched from Ludo on the Dundee manager thread 

Danny McNamara (Loan)

Isaac Olaofe (Loan)

Craig Conway

Guy Melamed

Craig Bryson

James Brown (Loan)

Glenn Middleton (Loan)

Zdenek Zlamal (Loan)

Charlie Gilmour

Hayden Muller (Loan)

Reece Devine (Loan)

Ali Crawford

Lars Dendoncker (Loan)

Cammy MacPherson

Efe Ambrose

Eetu Vertainen

Viv Solomon-Otabor

Jacob Butterfield

Dan Cleary

John Mahon (Undisclosed fee)

Tony Gallacher

Theo Bair

Tom Sang (Loan)

Jahmal Hector-Ingram

Nadir Ciftci

Andrew Considine

Drey Wright

Adam Montgomery

Graham Carey

Jamie Murphy

Ryan McGowan

William Sandford

Remi Matthews (Loan)

Alex Mitchell (Loan)

Nicky Clark

Connor McLennan (Loan)

Zak Rudden (Loan)

When you look through that list, broadly every player signed either side of last season is passable, based on performances. It goes deeper than how they’ve played though. 

Edited by PSJ.84

Danny McNamara (Loan) - HIT

Isaac Olaofe (Loan) - MISS

Craig Conway - HIT

Guy Melamed - HIT

Craig Bryson - HIT season one, MISS season two

James Brown (Loan) - HIT

Glenn Middleton (Loan) - HIT season one, MISS season two

Zdenek Zlamal (Loan) - average

Charlie Gilmour - MISS

Hayden Muller (Loan) - MISS

Reece Devine (Loan) - MISS

Ali Crawford - average but length of deal means MISS

Melker Hallberg- HIT

Lars Dendoncker (Loan) - MISS

Cammy MacPherson - HIT

Efe Ambrose - MISS

Eetu Vertainen - MISS

Viv Solomon-Otabor - MISS

Jacob Butterfield - average

Dan Cleary - average

John Mahon (Undisclosed fee) - MISS

Tony Gallacher - MISS

Theo Bair - MISS

Tom Sang (Loan) - MISS

Jahmal Hector-Ingram - MISS

Nadir Ciftci - MISS

Andrew Considine - HIT

Drey Wright - HIT

Adam Montgomery - HIT

Graham Carey - average

Jamie Murphy - average

Ryan McGowan - HIT

William Sandford - MISS

Remi Matthews (Loan) - HIT

Alex Mitchell (Loan) - HIT

Nicky Clark - HIT

Connor McLennan (Loan) - average

Zak Rudden (Loan) - average

41 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Danny McNamara (Loan) - HIT

Isaac Olaofe (Loan) - MISS

Craig Conway - HIT

Guy Melamed - HIT

Craig Bryson - HIT season one, MISS season two

James Brown (Loan) - HIT

Glenn Middleton (Loan) - HIT season one, MISS season two

Zdenek Zlamal (Loan) - average

Charlie Gilmour - MISS

Hayden Muller (Loan) - MISS

Reece Devine (Loan) - MISS

Ali Crawford - average but length of deal means MISS

Melker Hallberg- HIT

Lars Dendoncker (Loan) - MISS

Cammy MacPherson - HIT

Efe Ambrose - MISS

Eetu Vertainen - MISS

Viv Solomon-Otabor - MISS

Jacob Butterfield - average

Dan Cleary - average

John Mahon (Undisclosed fee) - MISS

Tony Gallacher - MISS

Theo Bair - MISS

Tom Sang (Loan) - MISS

Jahmal Hector-Ingram - MISS

Nadir Ciftci - MISS

Andrew Considine - HIT

Drey Wright - HIT

Adam Montgomery - HIT

Graham Carey - average

Jamie Murphy - average

Ryan McGowan - HIT

William Sandford - MISS

Remi Matthews (Loan) - HIT

Alex Mitchell (Loan) - HIT

Nicky Clark - HIT

Connor McLennan (Loan) - average

Zak Rudden (Loan) - average

Clearly you are an extremely nice person.

Butterfield a good example of the issue.

A good player, but he couldnt run and couldnt defend. Stuck into the team and told to be an energetic part of a midfield two. 

Him coming on when we were 2-0 up in Inverness and it being 2-2 within 11 minutes pretty much summed up his time with us. 

You could see there was a player there at one point but I thought he was done at this sort of level, not helped by the way Davidson used him of course. Made 40 appearances for a Scunthorpe side relegated from the National League this season.