Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I'm a bit amiss that you lot couldn't see it watching the game. That's what Melker brings, he just needs a wee bit of luck. I'd have still brought on Rudden as well though as we were a man up.

Not everyone can view the game from the executive seats Tam, us rabble rousers are down in the depths with restricted views and emotions all around them.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not everyone can view the game from the executive seats Tam, us rabble rousers are down in the depths with restricted views and emotions all around them.

Can you be a rabble rouser at the same time as marking down which type of pass is played and how many throw ins there are?

30 minutes ago, The Marly said:

RandomGuy's? Or Tam's?

I mean surely it doesn't matter who, the answer should still be the same....abysmal!

Im not even sure it matters who takes our set plays tbh. Whole approach to them felt similar to the attacking approach in general, just hoping someone creates something.

Sorting that out should be a big part of the next management teams plan, set plays are so important at this level.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im not even sure it matters who takes our set plays tbh. Whole approach to them felt similar to the attacking approach in general, just hoping someone creates something.

Sorting that out should be a big part of the next management teams plan, set plays are so important at this level.

I think you could see that they’ve worked on stuff. For example the long throw ins was new, not that I liked it, but it was new. Plus there was a few attempts to change it up, ultimately though the quality was lacking. The difference in dead ball ability when Carey is on the pitch is staggering, if only the rest of his current play matched it and he had any form of confidence. 

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Like this from MacLean.

Just a simple thing really, but admits he thought about the Rudden sub i thought everyone expected, and explains why he went a different route.

Its totally fair enough and might be worth now watching the second half again to see if we can see what he was seeing, which will probably end up really obvious when you look for it, and understand he was right.

So, does that suggest then that MacLean had been suggesting similar to Davidson all along and he has ignored the advice? 

I always thing Hallberg is better in an advanced role, but the lack of effort usually frustrates me. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think the fact that Hallberg was on the pitch for the one against Utd that was in a similar spot to one he scored earlier this season (East Fife was it?), but MacPherson was allowed to take it with all to predictable results, suggested to me it does matter a bit. 

30 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Think the fact that Hallberg was on the pitch for the one against Utd that was in a similar spot to one he scored earlier this season (East Fife was it?), but MacPherson was allowed to take it with all to predictable results, suggested to me it does matter a bit. 

Cove in pre-season?

14 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

McPherson thinks he's a footballer, there's nothing wrong with having self confidence when you can back it up, when you can't is when the problem arises.

You're not telling me he is great in training at set plays, that's simply not possible. 

Or as it should be called, the Bair Phenomenon. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

McPherson thinks he's a footballer, there's nothing wrong with having self confidence when you can back it up, when you can't is when the problem arises.

You're not telling me he is great in training at set plays, that's simply not possible. 

McPherson shows flashes of being able to really play a killer pass or what he can do from a dead ball, but it is only fleeting glimpses.

Can get away with that at 17,18,19, but by his age it should be more consistent. Although Spoony was probably on a 1 in 3 good performance when he first joined and it came good for him over time. Different players, but similar in the sense that you can see glimpses of a real talent there. 

4 hours ago, Widge said:

Or as it should be called, the Bair Phenomenon. 

Was gonna say I didn't agree with this, because I think at least some of Bair's problem is that when he comes in the pitch it seems like he doesn't think he's a footballer either. Total opposite of MacPherson. 

But then i realised you meant about being supposedly good in training. 

8 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

McPherson shows flashes of being able to really play a killer pass or what he can do from a dead ball, but it is only fleeting glimpses.

Can get away with that at 17,18,19, but by his age it should be more consistent. Although Spoony was probably on a 1 in 3 good performance when he first joined and it came good for him over time. Different players, but similar in the sense that you can see glimpses of a real talent there. 

Rinse your fucking mouth out with soap!!! Mentioning, in the same sentence I may add, McPherson as similar to Spoony!!

12 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Was meaning corners, and free kick deliveries into the box, really. Free kicks you can shoot from arent really ones you can do much with.

Our corners have some sense of "tactic" to them but often it feels like its just the same thing. Not sure it was meant but the corner to Phillips at the front post v Hibs was interesting, he almost got the ball across the 6 yard box just using his strength.

It’s a definite weakness, especially compared to the double season when we were great from set plays, and had a few different routines we’d clearly worked on.

Thought Considine would have been a bigger threat as he scored a few at Aberdeen.

It annoys me watching those dead balls from MacPherson last week that there isn’t a shout from the sidelines to get them off him and get someone else hitting them.

I think he tries to be too clever the way he’s striking it etc, which is a pity as he can put a good ball in.  Reminds me of that 0-0 at Hibs last season where he hit some howlers trying to be clever.

As mentioned further up, if you’re only putting in one good delivery every 3 or 4 then that’s nowhere near good enough.  

I'm astonished Carey is apparently the only player that can put a delivery into the box with shape and pace. 

I've ranted about this about 6 times but Macphersons floaty ones are always going to be difficult to score from because of the lack of pace on the ball as well as often hung up to the back post so you need to win the first header to knock it back across and then a second header to score. Making it easier to defend because they're given two chances to cut it out every single time.