Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

46 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think it was the first time I see Booth really struggling with his injury. I thought we were down until Rooneys goal.

There was a game at Pittodrie he was absolutely fucked as well and I think that was in February, so the fact he made it to the game at Livi after the split is surprising. 

I was in the same boat. Dundee actually looked semi-reasonable and we were an absolutely calamity. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Mind that first half at Dens? Fucking hell. 

I miss Rooney a lot. 

Under Davidson there was a lot of first half's like that. Killie recently another example. 

On the subject of Rooney and headers. I know our corners have been discussed already but we really do make it easier to defend against. 

Especially from the right hand side the corners are not delivered in a way by MacPherson where they can likely be headed towards goal so require being knocked down basically meaning we need to win the ball twice at a corner to produce a decent shot on goal. 

27 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

On the subject of Rooney and headers. I know our corners have been discussed already but we really do make it easier to defend against. 

Especially from the right hand side the corners are not delivered in a way by MacPherson where they can likely be headed towards goal so require being knocked down basically meaning we need to win the ball twice at a corner to produce a decent shot on goal. 

Compare that with the double season…

Another thing I'd taken away from yesterday was the use of Hallberg when he came on. 

In all his better performances for Saints he's played a role where he gets forward, arrives in the box with some good times runs etc. 

Looks like that's the role Macca played him in yesterday. Hopefully that wasn't simply because it was against 10 men. 

Hallberg is not very good deeper as we all know and is often a waste of a shirt so hopefully that's exclusively the role he plays for the remainder. 

I've got the feeling Macca is getting the job to the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Another thing I'd taken away from yesterday was the use of Hallberg when he came on. 

In all his better performances for Saints he's played a role where he gets forward, arrives in the box with some good times runs etc. 

Looks like that's the role Macca played him in yesterday. Hopefully that wasn't simply because it was against 10 men. 

Hallberg is not very good deeper as we all know and is often a waste of a shirt so hopefully that's exclusively the role he plays for the remainder. 

I've got the feeling Macca is getting the job to the end of the season. 

Guess the issue is what happens if MacPherson/Phillips isnt available.

Do you put Hallberg deeper? Put McGowan in there? Give Ballantyne a chance? Drop Wotherspoon into a CM 2?

Hallberg probably the least bad option there when playing the 5-3-2, but if the 4-3-3 is MacLeans favourite, i think you just put McGowan in at the deepest CM and have either Phillips or MacPherson in the more advanced position.

On 22/04/2023 at 19:12, PauloPerth said:

About 0:40. Enjoy!

Was at that game and was at the perfect angle from behind Wright when he scored it, pretty much as I had remembered it.

One thing to note, now we have VAR, can we ditch the pole goals and go back to ones with those fixed stanchions?

Anyhow, fast forward 30 years, as gutting as it was for Killie and Utd to close the gap, to stop the rot even with a draw was important. A performance, or rather level of effort, like yesterday vs any of the other bottom 5 teams, would see us pick up points off any of them.

Difficult to know how best we want the fixtures to play out. On the one hand, get county first and if we win, pretty much would see us safe from automatic relegation, but the downsides are lose and we are right in the sh!t. Plus, say if we got say Motherwell first and won and County beat any of the others, it might pull us a bit away from a few teams. 2 wins, regardless of who against and I think we'd be safe, add a draw to that and we avoid the playoff. 

I'd take Livi and Killie at home and rest away. 

9 hours ago, Saint Huck said:

We're in big trouble if May gets injured.

Don't we have a young, exciting striker?

Forget the name.

Surely worth giving him a few appearances, considering every other option is either injured or guff.

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He'd been planned to be at that game for quite a while. Was quite a while ago it was mentioned he was coming to that Hibs game, maybe even months ago now.

That's no fun though