Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

And the fact that he's been binned, vindicates him for trying to jump.

He’s been binned for poor results and poor quality entertainment for nearly 2 seasons, having spent a fortune to try and turn things around. He tried to make short term signings in the summer after the double, presumably to keep things ticking over until he got the move that didn’t materialise. 

He’s shown no flexibility and has blamed everyone and everything under the sun for the poor results and performances other than himself. 

It’s sad it’s went the way it has but it’s the right decision for Saints and for Davidson. I don’t think he’s got the skill set to be a good manager long term but he’s clearly an excellent coach. Hope he succeeds wherever he ends up next but this decision is long overdue. 

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Could you imagine Tommy Wright dealing with Melker Hallbergs passenger performances?

Let’s not forget that Tommy Wright continued to play Gary McDonald……

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I would be worried if it's American owners coming in the chance of making money is an illusion. Fan ownership is the way forward. 

Normally I'd agree, but as it is, Saints continually turn a profit. This is more impressive when you consider there is next to no commercial activity being maximised. There is more money to be made at Saints without a single extra fan coming through the gate.

I do agree though, that the intentions of any owner is always a worry. Kind of hope that given there is plenty of American owners in the league already, there should be no surprises over the limited payback on investment. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

I can see John Hughes getting the job. Think he impressed in his interview with the board before Davidson was appointed. 

Time will tell.

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I know it won't happen, but I'd get Tommy back for these last 6 games, fire a rocket up the players and at the end of season become DoF and get Gus as far away as possible. New American overlords come in and let the razzmatazz commence. 

I was against it tbh, but the more i think about it the more it makes sense.

Give the players confidence, give us some solidity again, give the fans something to cheer.

Short term it makes a tonne of sense i think.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

James McFadden on sky just now saying it's a terrible decision

Party line is all you're gonna get from these fuckwits who, in the grand scheme of things, know f**k all about our club. 

Edited by Trackdaybob

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

He’s been binned for poor results and poor quality entertainment for nearly 2 seasons, having spent a fortune to try and turn things around. He tried to make short term signings in the summer after the double, presumably to keep things ticking over until he got the move that didn’t materialise. 

He’s shown no flexibility and has blamed everyone and everything under the sun for the poor results and performances other than himself. 

It’s sad it’s went the way it has but it’s the right decision for Saints and for Davidson. I don’t think he’s got the skill set to be a good manager long term but he’s clearly an excellent coach. Hope he succeeds wherever he ends up next but this decision is long overdue. 

I'm not particularly criticising the decision. More a general comment about management. Davidson has clearly made mistakes but im sure hes worked hard in the job, now he's out a job.

Managers get binned all the time, so who can blame them for moving for more money when the opportunity arises.

28 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Does anyone know the places he interviewed and didn't get?

Scotsman claiming he was one of the final candidates for the Preston job in December 2021

The news about new owners is really promising too, i think. 

Without knowing how they are/their plans, which might make the whole thing a disaster, of course.

We need the ownership situation dealt with before the Summer so the managerial situation can be sorted before the Summer.

42 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'm not particularly criticising the decision. More a general comment about management. Davidson has clearly made mistakes but im sure hes worked hard in the job, now he's out a job.

Managers get binned all the time, so who can blame them for moving for more money when the opportunity arises.

We heard you the first time.

Doesn't apply in this situation.

14 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Multiple claims of "this is even more ridiculous than the Neilson sacking"

At least it has taken the McInnes departure off the radar.