Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

David Begg who did the BBC commentary that day sent me a scanned laminate copy of his prep notes for the game in return for a small donation to his chosen charity. Keep meaning to frame it.

Edited by Fife Saint

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Do folk really take the huff because Saints players don't get called up?

Nah, that's part of the reason. I just have no connection to international football. Or Champions league, English football etc. None of it interests me.

Add the old boy who comes into my work to list of people reconsidering a season ticket next season, hes not been to an away game for years so McDiarmid fixtures are his Callum Davidson experience.

Think hes considering Jeanfield games instead.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Add the old boy who comes into my work to list of people reconsidering a season ticket next season, hes not been to an away game for years so McDiarmid fixtures are his Callum Davidson experience.

Is he looking forward to his 30th birthday?

20 minutes ago, Radford said:

Is he looking forward to his 30th birthday?

Nah, hes a long way from that. 

Believe he finishes school this Summer though so might get his first pint in.

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Before I'm burnt at the stake for not being patriotic enough, yearly reminder of the date.

Treat yourself...

I know it was his way but remember being at an event with Owen Coyle just after he got the Saints job and he said this was the best performance he ever witnessed from a team.

The sort of game, atmosphere and performance that hooked me as a kid. Poor wee b*****ds now having to endure Davidson-ball on a tattie field.

Everything about that game was a culmination of everything just aligning and clicking into place. We were on good form, they were wobbling, the feel good factor of being at McDiarmid, the sun making an appearance, the club felt modern and exciting.

I know folk, rightly, always come back to this game in particular, but you cannot overstate its importance to Saints history. It was a real sliding doors moment.

5 hours ago, Radford said:

Before I'm burnt at the stake for not being patriotic enough, yearly reminder of the date.

Treat yourself...

I know it was his way but remember being at an event with Owen Coyle just after he got the Saints job and he said this was the best performance he ever witnessed from a team.

The sort of game, atmosphere and performance that hooked me as a kid. Poor wee b*****ds now having to endure Davidson-ball on a tattie field.

4 hours ago, Broughty said:

Greatest game ever.

34 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Everything about that game was a culmination of everything just aligning and clicking into place. We were on good form, they were wobbling, the feel good factor of being at McDiarmid, the sun making an appearance, the club felt modern and exciting.

I know folk, rightly, always come back to this game in particular, but you cannot overstate its importance to Saints history. It was a real sliding doors moment.

It really was a brilliant game and as has been mentioned it was the perfect storm of us beating the league leaders, in the sun, in front of a full house. 1800 Airdrie fans there as well to make it a great atmosphere. Anyone that says Mcdiarmid is soulless with no atmosphere is just talking shite, it can be if you make it.

Its hard, when watching that Airdrie game, not to agree with folk who say football was "better" back then.

Im forever convinced fans simply need to see a winger taking on a full back for 90 minutes to go home entertained, and thats something you see in older games thats vanishing just now and i dont understand why.

Genuinely worried that Danny Swanson is going to be the last "maverick" player we have for a long time, as that type is dying out it feels like. Way he was willing to skip past folk at pace and try something just ridiculous was fantastic entertainment. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely worried that Danny Swanson is going to be the last "maverick" player we have for a long time, as that type is dying out it feels like. Way he was willing to skip past folk at pace and try something just ridiculous was fantastic entertainment. 

Aye dying out nowadays, folk like Mudryk and Vini Jr and the like just aren't there.

Attacking wide players for our level are there, it's just that you get c***s like Davidson who want everyone to defend first and foremost or you're hounded out the door.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its hard, when watching that Airdrie game, not to agree with folk who say football was "better" back then.

Im forever convinced fans simply need to see a winger taking on a full back for 90 minutes to go home entertained, and thats something you see in older games thats vanishing just now and i dont understand why.

I thought Carey was meant to be our "maverick". 

Airdrie game is the absolute pinnacle for me as well.  

The tension, what was at stake, the season long rivalry, must-win for us, the atmosphere, battering them for an hour then they scored a screamer in about their first attack, and then us coming from behind to win.

I don’t think a football experience could come close again, but maybe it’s an age at the time thing as well.

The football we played that season was scintillating, all out attack from start to finish.  And to put on the best performance of the lot in the biggest game in front of a full house and covered by television…  it doesn’t get much better.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Airdrie game is the absolute pinnacle for me as well.  

The tension, what was at stake, the season long rivalry, must-win for us, the atmosphere, battering them for an hour then they scored a screamer in about their first attack, and then us coming from behind to win.

I don’t think a football experience could come close again, but maybe it’s an age at the time thing as well.

The football we played that season was scintillating, all out attack from start to finish.  And to put on the best performance of the lot in the biggest game in front of a full house and covered by television…  it doesn’t get much better.

How close would you rate the home game v Gretna?

Must win game, take an early lead. Gretna equalise in the last 10 minutes only for Saints to score the winner a few minutes later.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Must win game, take an early lead. Gretna equalise in the last 10 minutes only for Saints to score the winner a few minutes later.

The Gretna game was great, but it didn't compare to the Airdrie one.  The standard of football from Saints that day was superb. Plus the Gretna game didn't have a crowd of almost 10k.  As Tam said, the atmosphere was incredible.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No comparison in my opinion 

On 29/03/2023 at 21:08, RandomGuy. said:

Its an odd one considering Scotland and Saints, technically, play the same shape. Theres zero doubt that Scotland played Davidsons beloved 3-4-2-1 last night.

Kind of highlights how the shape doesn't matter, but making sure its played right and you've got the players to thrive in it and make it work is key.

Scotland have Dykes and Adams, both outstanding as lone strikers, a fair difference from us having May up there on his own.

Was at both games and couldn't help thinking about this comparison at the time.

Two centres halves happy to step out either side of a stopper with one the goals coming from exactly this (similar to a few Kerr set up first season under Davidson). Two attacking wingbacks, a sitting ball player and two attacking midfielders willing to do the off the ball work as well. And a striker that can lead the line - incidentally saw Kano outside the ground.

A reminder as to why that shape was working in the first season and how ridiculous clinging to it once the players that made it work left was

Edited by nelsjfc

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gretna was nothing compared to Airdrie, absolutely nothing.

6 hours ago, The Marly said:

The Gretna game was great, but it didn't compare to the Airdrie one.  The standard of football from Saints that day was superb. Plus the Gretna game didn't have a crowd of almost 10k.  As Tam said, the atmosphere was incredible.

There were more there than officially stated as well. They sold tickets for seats already taken by season tickets to the public, I know this for a fact as myself and loads of others had to sit at the top of the stairs in the East stand. Was actually better because I went down the scoreboard end to goad the section b as my seat was further along the stand.

Saints acknowledged this by giving us free tickets for the Forfar game, last home game of the season. 

That Airdrie game is still the best game I've ever seen. Not sure it can be beaten tbh.

Edited by tree house tam