Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bit disappointed it seems to be a case he'll only get a chance this season if Matthews is ruled out...

... when he should really be getting a chance this season regardless. Much like last season when, for no apparent reason, we played Parish in a dead rubber game rather than him.

Give him experience of playing top flight football before you expect him to be first choice. Clark was eased in alongside Mannus and Sinclair should be getting eased in now we're safe alongside Matthews, if they see Sinclair as a genuine first choice contender next season.

Sinclair only played friendlies and really should’ve got a couple of games in this season’s league cup group stage before Matthews signed. Wasn’t the excuse he didn’t was Saints might have wanted to put him to another club after January? 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

4 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Is it having some pressure off that allows Bair to play better in these games?

Or is that just wishful thinking?

It’s a thought I’ve had for some time when you hear about him in training. Pure pressure getting to him. 

I’ve always been 50/50 with club and country but I’ve been genuinely gutted at the end of the last couple of international breaks. The analogy of going back to work after a holiday perfectly sums it up. Obviously the fact that Scotland are on the up plays quite a big part in that, but still. Do we have to?

Its an odd one considering Scotland and Saints, technically, play the same shape. Theres zero doubt that Scotland played Davidsons beloved 3-4-2-1 last night.

Kind of highlights how the shape doesn't matter, but making sure its played right and you've got the players to thrive in it and make it work is key.

Scotland have Dykes and Adams, both outstanding as lone strikers, a fair difference from us having May up there on his own.

I certainly haven't found any solace over the past week because of a team that doesn't represent the club I invest everything in.

My country's football team left me far long before I left them and I think this is thing very unique to me as a St Johnstone fan. We have been such a strong side over the past decade and have absolutely no reward for it. I saw @craigkillie on Twitter mischievously compiling a starting eleven of Killie players that have played for Scotland in the past 20-odd years. Motherwell players have won 35 caps in the same sort of period. Are Saunders, Clarkson, Gallagher, O'Donnell, Hammell and Cadden really better than anything we've had? Same applies to Bell, Brophy etc...

I still enjoy big international tournaments but honestly doesn't put me up nor down if we are there or not. Apologies if that offends anyone and equally pleased for those that do derive enjoyment from the national team.

35 minutes ago, Radford said:

I certainly haven't found any solace over the past week because of a team that doesn't represent the club I invest everything in.

My country's football team left me far long before I left them and I think this is thing very unique to me as a St Johnstone fan. We have been such a strong side over the past decade and have absolutely no reward for it. I saw @craigkillie on Twitter mischievously compiling a starting eleven of Killie players that have played for Scotland in the past 20-odd years. Motherwell players have won 35 caps in the same sort of period. Are Saunders, Clarkson, Gallagher, O'Donnell, Hammell and Cadden really better than anything we've had? Same applies to Bell, Brophy etc...

I still enjoy big international tournaments but honestly doesn't put me up nor down if we are there or not. Apologies if that offends anyone and equally pleased for those that do derive enjoyment from the national team.

Nah this is exactly my feelings. I'm very much a club over country at all times, whilst I want to see Scotland do well and win and I'll go and watch them in the pub, I don't really mind if they don't win. Despite everything, I still care about the saints results a lot more. 

I can’t see why you can’t enjoy both. I love all levels of football, from kids up, but watching Scotland has allowed me to watch superstars of the sport, from Charlton, Moore, Banks  right up to today. Watching Saints hasn’t given me that standard of player, with limited exceptions 

1 hour ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I can’t see why you can’t enjoy both. I love all levels of football, from kids up, but watching Scotland has allowed me to watch superstars of the sport, from Charlton, Moore, Banks  right up to today. Watching Saints hasn’t given me that standard of player, with limited exceptions 

Some folk just can't connect with international football, doesn't make sense to me but that's life. It takes all sorts to make life as we know it.

Im a club before country type, but its hard not to be swept on with the Scotland performances at a time when you kind of dread our own games. I find myself kind of zoning out even when at McDiarmid these days. When im watching on my laptop if i cant get then its even worse.

Was nice watching Scotland v Spain and being hooked.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 hours ago, Radford said:

Pretty much my feelings too. It's ridiculous that we've had one 2 minute appearance by Muzz in the last dozen years.  It's completely disconnected me from the national team.

Before I'm burnt at the stake for not being patriotic enough, yearly reminder of the date.

Treat yourself...

I know it was his way but remember being at an event with Owen Coyle just after he got the Saints job and he said this was the best performance he ever witnessed from a team.

The sort of game, atmosphere and performance that hooked me as a kid. Poor wee b*****ds now having to endure Davidson-ball on a tattie field.