Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

As much as I think Davidson needs to be gone, it is a bit far fetched to think Davidson had any kind of a say as to whether Kerr and McCann would be staying or going. They were always to be sold regardless of what Davidson thought. Its not as if Brown would turn down the cash because Davidson still wanted them in the team. Whatever Davidson may have said about it, was 100% him trying to inflate his influence at the club.

Otherwise on Davidson, I totally agree with the majority view thst he has us regressing. I can take a poor season or two if you can see something building, but everything just seems so short term at the club at the moment, on and off the pitch. Club is in paralysis. 

Well see if Davidson did his job and identified a striker before that season started or even kept the one he let go we would have had a better chance of being in the group stages of either competition. I bet that both Kerr and McCann would have stayed until the end of that season.

So aye, Davidson was at fault along with the board. Short sighted as f**k and we could all see it.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but the idea was there and he got a chance to prove he wasnt up to it.

Not every signing works, and not every young player makes it, but youve to at least try and build a younger squad and give them some experience before their mid-20s. Folk like Gallacher, Ballantyne and Max are all going to over 21 next season and how many top flight games do they have between them? While TW used his rebuilding season to give game time to a lot of younger ones so they were prepped for actually stepping in.

I was winding you up Random.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Well see if Davidson did his job and identified a striker before that season started or even kept the one he let go we would have had a better chance of being in the group stages of either competition. I bet that both Kerr and McCann would have stayed until the end of that season.

So aye, Davidson was at fault along with the board. Short sighted as f**k and we could all see it.

Nah sorry Tam - McCann in particular would still have gone, given the money on offer. I think Kerr would have too.

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Nah sorry Tam - McCann in particular would still have gone, given the money on offer. I think Kerr would have too.

I get the feeling Kerr had agreed to wait and see what happened with Europe. Not sure about McCann.

I always had the impression the club has rings ran round them by Preston. 

Didn't Saints turned down their offer and say they wanted more £££?

Preston then just went to his agent and said we'd have offered him ££££ a week and he was straight on the phone to the club saying he wants to go. Got the player to do their work for them. Original bid accepted.

26 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Knowing we were on a European earner might have encouraged Brown to hold out for a better offer than the shite he did accept. 

But he did hold out for better, remember? He wanted at least £2m so made sure we got some sweet, sweet add-ons that might see us pocket that £2m. 

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

But he did hold out for better, remember? He wanted at least £2m so made sure we got some sweet, sweet add-ons that might see us pocket that £2m. 

And with every passing week it looks less and less likely. 

51 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Saints would have told him to stay, he still had years on his contract. They had both said they'd wait until we were out of Europe before considering anything anyway.

As an aside Kerr is only getting slightly less than McCann by the way. When he gets paid obviously.

41 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye. The sweet, sweet add ons which Preston denied were even there.

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I always had the impression the club has rings ran round them by Preston. 

Didn't Saints turned down their offer and say they wanted more £££?

Preston then just went to his agent and said we'd have offered him ££££ a week and he was straight on the phone to the club saying he wants to go. Got the player to do their work for them. Original bid accepted.

Exactly this. A more experienced club at selling assets would have known how to play that whole summer much much better. Its where there is a real added value of someone at the club with an actual track record of doing deals. Preston (and others) knew this and rightly (from their point of view) took advantage. Hibs, Utd and Aberdeen are all examples of knowing what they are doing when it comes to negotiating.

Also a failure to properly deal with the players themselves. I've no idea of the discussion behind the scenes, but if Saints were clear with sau McCann that we'd let him go once a bid of x is received, then the player and his agent know exactly where the club stands and by extension any bidding clubs.

Probably the biggest frustration I have with the club at the moment is the lack of building anything. Compared to 24 months ago, where we had Clark, McCann, Kerr, Rooney and McCart, there is no one in the squad where you could see saints getting any kind of a material fee. Phillips possibly, but he's not on a long enough contract.

For that, Davidson takes the majority blame. Had we a squad that was full of younger players developing and we had exactly the same results and performances, fans would be far less on Davidsons back, as we could see a clear plan. 

Changing the subject here but I wish to have another St Johnstone related moan.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Dunfermline vs Falkirk game and made some observations of the matchday experience which I naturally started comparing to Saints.

1. Legends Bar

Legends Bar at East End Park is brilliant. It feels like an actual boozer, a great place to be before and after a match. If McDiarmid had something like this it would be class, I'd definitely make a point of going to the stadium well before kick-off to enjoy a few pints. Indeed the place was packed. Admittedly I've never set foot into the Muirton Suite but I am reliably informed that it is nowhere near as good as Legends bar, a quick google image search also backs this up. It looks bloody dreadful I must say.

2. Club Shop

Dunfermline have an actual club shop and not some pishy wee box room that you can't swing a cat in. Puts us to shame.

3. Catering

I was sat in the Main stand and navigating my way through the crowds along the incredibly narrow, dated walkway to the other end of the stand was a pain in the arse. The time it was taking me I was fearful I would miss out on hot food. However upon arriving at the kiosk I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was no queue and plenty of bridies to go around - even though the attendance was 9500+. Slick service. This was about 5 - 10 mins before kick-off. I can't confirm if there was hot food left at halftime. All I know is that on my last trip to McDiarmid against United the service was unbelievably slow and they had no hot food by halftime for a run-of the mill league game.

I think it's poor that a League 1 club can offer a better matchday experience than us, an established top flight club.

Looking forward to Tam telling me "to go and support Dunfermline then you Par c**t." All I'm saying is we need to do better. We've stagnated.

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Dunfermline vs Falkirk game and made some observations of the matchday experience which I naturally started comparing to Saints.

1. Legends Bar

Legends Bar at East End Park is brilliant. It feels like an actual boozer, a great place to be before and after a match. If McDiarmid had something like this it would be class, I'd definitely make a point of going to the stadium well before kick-off to enjoy a few pints. Indeed the place was packed. Admittedly I've never set foot into the Muirton Suite but I am reliably informed that it is nowhere near as good as Legends bar, a quick google image search also backs this up. It looks bloody dreadful I must say.

2. Club Shop

Dunfermline have an actual club shop and not some pishy wee box room that you can't swing a cat in. Puts us to shame.

3. Catering

I was sat in the Main stand and navigating my way through the crowds along the incredibly narrow, dated walkway to the other end of the stand was a pain in the arse. The time it was taking me I was fearful I would miss out on hot food. However upon arriving at the kiosk I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was no queue and plenty of bridies to go around - even though the attendance was 9500+. Slick service. This was about 5 - 10 mins before kick-off. I can't confirm if there was hot food left at halftime. All I know is that on my last trip to McDiarmid against United the service was unbelievably slow and they had no hot food by halftime for a run-of the mill league game.

I think it's poor that a League 1 club can offer a better matchday experience than us, an established top flight club.

Looking forward to Tam telling me "to go and support Dunfermline then you Par c**t." All I'm saying is we need to do better. We've stagnated.

I've been in the bar in Dunfermline. Not on a match day but what a difference when a space is purpose built for bar isn't it?!

I use the Muirton Suite a lot. I've got some opinions on that cause I've got opinions on bloody everything 😂

I know they're not going to massively change it but they could do with laying it out better to stop it ending up so packed you can't move and having queues that stretch half way across the room banging into you and your table while they try to squeeze past. Can take 20 mins to get served some weeks after 2 o'clock.

Sometimes the pints are horrendous, especially when it first opens after an international breaks or period where we haven't played at home for a number of weeks. I wonder because if you're there early you're getting the same stuff in the lines from 2 weeks ago...

Another gripe is the continued instance from the club it's "Home fans only" while constantly allowing bus loads of away fans in 🤷‍♂️

One thing I will say is I like the staff, give or take it's the same group of folk working there most Saturdays and when it's quiet they make an effort to chat away and I've seen a few of them away from McDiarmid and they've said hello etc. Just thought it was important to say while I was moaning about it that they seem nice people!

I used the Muirton a lot as well, and from what I gather a supporters bus is allowed in from the away fans. What the issue is, is the bouncers not being intelligent enough to turn away those not on said buses leading to an overrun of away fans. 

Surprised the Tulloch hasn’t tried to step up and entice more fans. Especially when they’ve been keen to do it for the European nights and the play off. 

45 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

1. Legends Bar

2. Club Shop

3. Catering

First of all, for a supporter of St Johnstone and especially one as vociferous as yourself about Stadium beverages and bars, to not have even been in the Muirton suite is quite frankly unsurprising. You're a gobshite Jamama and you know it.

The muirton is fucking atrocious by the way.

54 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If McDiarmid had something like this it would be class, I'd definitely make a point of going to the stadium well before kick-off to enjoy a few pints... Admittedly I've never set foot into the Muirton Suite

I can't confirm if there was hot food left at halftime... All I know is that on my last trip to McDiarmid against United the service was unbelievably slow and they had no hot food by halftime

So the Muirton Suite might be worse but you dont know since youve never been, and the hot food situation at half time might be worse but you dont know because you didn't go at half time in one stadium?

Never change Jamma.

15 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

to not have even been in the Muirton suite is quite frankly unsurprising. You're a gobshite Jamama and you know it.

The muirton is fucking atrocious by the way.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So the Muirton Suite might be worse but you dont know since youve never been

If the Muirton is "fucking atrocious" and I've had other people tell me similar then it sounds like I don't need to go to see what it's like myself, as I suspected. I don't think that makes me a gobshite though, if I'd tried to hide the fact I've never been then yeah.

As for the catering situation, who knows if the Pars ran out. I suspect they didn't because I heard of no complaints. Maybe Saints fans are just greedy b*****ds, would explain why you often see them complaining that there aren't any XXL shirts left for sale.