Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Was saying on the way home tonight that it’s pretty mental that Davidson had the first season he had and still won’t be considered our greatest ever manager. I guess it says a lot for both Tommy Wright and Callum Davidson that that’s the case, but still. 

Davidson is not even top three in my book.

25 minutes ago, Radford said:

.Another two-week break and another good opportunity to sack this manager. Of course, we know they won't, but it is irrefutable that they should be doing. This club will never progress with him in charge. There is simply no longer any case for the defence.

That's the key to all this though. 

The club think all of this is good/fine/acceptable because "we're going to finish 9th... What are they moaning about?"

The club leadership don't harbour any ambitions to progress. This mediocrity is exactly what they're aspiring to achieve and they see success as not getting relegated. behind the scenes this season will be deemed another successful one.

We've heard it all before from the leadership in the past. They aim to avoid relegation and anything else is a "bonus". 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The club think all of this is good/fine/acceptable because "we're going to finish 9th... What are they moaning about?"

The club leadership don't harbour any ambitions to progress. This mediocrity is exactly what they're aspiring to achieve and they see success as not getting relegated so behind the scenes this season will be deemed another successful one.

We're the new Hamilton.

Even play in the same strips ssometimes.

12 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The club leadership don't harbour any ambitions to progress. This mediocrity is exactly what they're aspiring to achieve and they see success as not getting relegated. behind the scenes this season will be deemed another successful one.

We've heard it all before from the leadership in the past. They aim to avoid relegation and anything else is a "bonus". 

Then we do get relegated, youll get the smug "well we did tell you that 9th was a great achievement" from the superfans.

I could cope with a relegation, but its this circling the drain feeling i cant stand. We're literally exactly where we were 12 months ago with the manager. Hes still determined to make his 5 at the back system work despite it harming performances. Hes still determined to play folk out of position for absolutely no reason. Hes still unable to make any tactical tweaks to get us back into the game without having to make subs.

The only difference to last season is we have a squad that can dig in, hurdle the obstacle hes putting in front of them, and drag something out of games. If you gave him the exact same squad as last season he'd have us in the exact same position as last season because he'd be doing the exact same things.

If we get to 2pm on Saturday April 1 and the team lines come out with Carey in the midfield and/or Brown at LWB I may well just not go to the game. I’ve never felt like that before - but I genuinely have no interest in watching Davidson set us up to lose.

I have nothing at all against James Brown. I think he could do fairly well as an orthodox right back in a back four with a player like Drey Wright ahead of him. Indeed, in the brief period where we tried that he looked absolutely fine. But he is hung out to dry playing anywhere else and I thought subbing him off yesterday to bring on a fucking right footed attacker was an abomination and final confirmation that Davidson really doesn’t know what he’s doing. That was an insane substitution. We have three LWBs on our books, one was on the bench yesterday. Why didn’t Gallacher go out on loan if he doesn’t even come on in that situation? As it turned out McLennan did little to help us push on.

Carey on the other hand is just no good. Tactically doesn’t help us and I’ve yet to see any evidence of this magical left foot we heard about. He has one assist this season - in a 4-1 defeat to Celtic. He mostly gets bypassed by his opponents then commits petulant fouls. Despite this he is repeatedly thrown into the team.

Bair, again, is a guy I want to be good. He has the physical attributes and I think his first touch is decent. But that has not at all translated into anything like looking like a Premiership player.

How those three come to start a game like that when you have Gallacher, Wotherspoon and Rudden on the bench is beyond me. Unsurprisingly when the latter two came on we were much better. Rudden makes decent runs and gets involved in far better positions than Bair can. Wotherspoon is just a good player, remains miles better than Carey and impacted the game more in half an hour than Carey has in half a season. What the f**k is going on behind the scenes that has left Spoony on the bench for months on end? Nothing makes sense here.

We are lucky we weren’t at least three down at half time yesterday. VAR saved us, make absolutely no bones about it. As far as I’m concerned the disallowed goal was a nonsense and Killie should have had a penalty in the second half.

Someone at the club higher up must see the pattern here. Killie away earlier in the season. Hibs away where we somehow won 2-1. Livi and Dundee United at home. Aberdeen away. All games where we didn’t turn up. All down to the manager’s personnel and tactical choices. We will not progress at all under Davidson. We are almost three years in to this and we’re still playing the same shape and system, just without the players (McCann and Kerr primarily) that actually made it work for a few glorious months.

Wonder what Macca and Clelland think of the state of the team selections/formations and if they’re involved in the decisions too. Absolutely mental that there’s three of them, yet week after week after week it’s the same fucking things. 

Davidson defenders on the banter page were absolutely hilarious on the banter page last night. Some suggesting the players aren’t good enough as the tactic we’re using won us the double (nearly two years ago), those calling for his head should listen to his interview and it’s on the players, Bright with his usual roaster comments. 

Wild  

If you drew a Venn diagram with effort and ability, Saints would have a few players in the middle but the majority in one category or other. Unfortunately Theo Bair wouldn't even appear.

I'm not saying he isn't trying but look at the way Vassell put himself about and dominated Liam Gordon, Bair just doesn't have that in his make up and nothing else he brings the table can cover for that.

I'm sure he's very David Needham and all but that's absolutely no use to us.

19 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Davidson defenders on the banter page were absolutely hilarious on the banter page last night. Some suggesting the players aren’t good enough as the tactic we’re using won us the double (nearly two years ago), those calling for his head should listen to his interview and it’s on the players, Bright with his usual roaster comments. 

Wild  

Frankly, they can get to f**k. Do they even go to games?

People defending that yesterday just shows they know absolutely nothing about football or they're just defending him now because they're unwilling to admit they were wrong so finding excuses to continually defend him. 

The fact they don't realise their argument of claiming "it's not Davidsons fault, the players aren't good enough" is just another example of why Davidson IS to blame because he signed all the bloody players just shows they don't have a clue. 

While yes not everything is Davidsons fault solely, players could have produced better in the first half etc he takes zero responsibility for anything, ever. No wonder people think he's arrogant. That's on top of his constant shite talk, remarks about being tactically flexible etc etc. All of it is absolute delusional. 

Probably just repeating the same debate but people continually defending the club like they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome is really frustrating. These people are the clubs acceptance of mediocrity in human form. 

25 minutes ago, Radford said:

If you drew a Venn diagram with effort and ability, Saints would have a few players in the middle but the majority in one category or other. Unfortunately Theo Bair wouldn't even appear.

I'm not saying he isn't trying but look at the way Vassell put himself about and dominated Liam Gordon, Bair just doesn't have that in his make up and nothing else he brings the table can cover for that.

I'm sure he's very David Needham and all but that's absolutely no use to us.

Is the managers persistence of using him as a target man for long balls despite the fact all the evidence constantly show he's not capable of it another example of stubbornness/an example of Davidson being a bit of a football caveman?

Is he another John Collins/John Hughes type?

THEO BIG, THEO HEADER BALL. 

The only time Theo showed anything was when he was found in those channel areas. Obviously we've not seen much of him but that looked where you may get some joy with him!

26 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Frankly, they can get to f**k. Do they even go to games?

People defending that yesterday just shows they know absolutely nothing about football or they're just defending him now because they're unwilling to admit they were wrong so finding excuses to continually defend him. 

The fact they don't realise their argument of claiming "it's not Davidsons fault, the players aren't good enough" is just another example of why Davidson IS to blame because he signed all the bloody players just shows they don't have a clue. 

While yes not everything is Davidsons fault solely, players could have produced better in the first half etc he takes zero responsibility for anything, ever. No wonder people think he's arrogant. That's on top of his constant shite talk, remarks about being tactically flexible etc etc. All of it is absolute delusional. 

Probably just repeating the same debate but people continually defending the club like they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome is really frustrating. These people are the clubs acceptance of mediocrity in human form. 

Pretty much bang on. Everybody is of course entitled to their opinion but there are some just hellbent on defending him. First half yesterday is probably one of those you’d pinpoint on the players if it happened every once in a while, but it’s at least the fourth time we’ve seen a half (or more) this calendar year - we’ve only played 10 games. Clearly then the problem is deeper than the players just having an off day. 

Getting pretty fed up of this cycle of being abject, manager stumbling across something and us looking better and picking up some points, having a bit of optimism that he’s learned only for it to revert back to shite, then having to come on here and rant 🤣

One positive for me is Drey Wright’s been pretty decent since he came back. I wasn’t that keen on his return at all but he’s been almost player of the season tbh. There are a few good players in the squad to work with - I feel with a competent manager we can get rid of some of the deadwood and build a decent side around the likes of Phillips. Never happening with Davidson.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

15 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I can see Callum leaving halfway through next season. 

What do you think the decline in season tickets will be due to him still being here?

I've seen quite a few saying they're thinking about not renewing but unsure if they'll stick to it. Definitely going to be some though. 

I can see there being a not insignificant increase to the price as well. 10%?

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What do you think the decline in season tickets will be due to him still being here?

I've seen quite a few saying they're thinking about not renewing but unsure if they'll stick to it. Definitely going to be some though. 

If Davidson is there then I'm definitely out. 

56 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I think anyone not expecting a price increase is incredibly naive. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an east stand increase by £25.00 for the year. 

I also think tickets may drop and the board will again be incredibly naive to think it won’t be in part to our home form. Eventually you need to look past the complaints about the pitch and players, and look at the coaching.

The lunatics that still want Davidson in have great arguments tbf...

"Careful what you wish for."

" 7th, 8th or 9th is still successful for us."

" Who would you replace him with?"

" Could you do better?".

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

The lunatics that still want Davidson in have great arguments tbf...

"Careful what you wish for."

" 7th, 8th or 9th is still successful for us."

" Who would you replace him with?"

" Could you do better?".

Don't even engage with them. The issue isn't that they want him to stay - that's their view. 

The issue is the complete shite they're talking to justify it. 

We've won 2 games this year.