Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Saints wasting time today at 1-1 with 3-4 mins to go says all it needs to say about the current mentality under the manager. 

Im not asking for recklessly throwing bodies forward but come on. Show some ambition and belief to win the game. 

He seemed absolutely furious when Remi Matthews decided to fall on top of the ball, but - and I could be imagining it - I’m fairly sure he’d signalled for them to calm things down not minutes before. 

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

He seemed absolutely furious when Remi Matthews decided to fall on top of the ball, but - and I could be imagining it - I’m fairly sure he’d signalled for them to calm things down not minutes before. 

They did it right in front of him when they won a throw in as well. 

Mcleannan won the throw in. He stood there looking at the ball for a few seconds then walked away and left the ball for Stevie May to wonder over to take the throw in 🤷‍♂️ 

I know these are minor things I guess but it was Killie away not a great point at Celtic Park. If we've got ANY ambitions about making top 6 you need to actually try to win games. 

5 hours ago, The Saintee said:

WAP reporting that Clark is out for the rest of the season.

He had surgery on an ankle ~3 years ago im sure, that kept him out for half a year.

If its the same ankle, and judging by how long Booth/Kane have gone beyond return timescales, we might not see him until 2024.

Not sure why I go every week and expect to see anything different but nothing is changing until this manager is gone. Hideous first half display on multiple levels. Undeservedly back in it at 1-1 and then that’s it, retreat back the way again. Tug on the ear, wee laugh and “ehhhhhhhh” your way through another soul destroying interview. Get him gone. 

Shouldnt have bothered reading the interview with Davidson.

Claims its the worst half of football under him (it was better than first half v Livi for me).

Says the players didnt do what he told them to do.

Hindered by how many injuries we have. "10 players" apparently had injuries before the game.

5 years ago today we went away to a team sitting 10th and trying to avoid the play-offs. Starting keeper Mannus forced off injured at half time.

Our bench was Chris Millar, Muzz, Clive Smith, Michael Coulson, Craig Thomson and George Hunter.

We won 2-1, moved up to 4th and our manager was bullish about finishing top half and Europe being the goal.

Today we we went away to a team sitting 10th and trying to avoid the play-offs.

Injuries forced no changes, our bench contained Ryan McGowan, Connor McLennan, David Wotherspoon, and Jamie Murphy.

We drew 1-1 thanks to a screamer from nothing. Our manager talks about the top 6 being all but beyond us, and says (just a week or two after saying the opposite) that all our attention has to be about avoiding the bottom two.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

5 years ago today we went away to a team sitting 10th and trying to avoid the play-offs. Starting keeper Mannus forced off injured at half time.

Our bench was Chris Millar, Muzz, Clive Smith, Michael Coulson, Craig Thomson and George Hunter.

We won 2-1, moved up to 4th and our manager was bullish about finishing top half and Europe being the goal.

Today we we went away to a team sitting 10th and trying to avoid the play-offs.

Injuries forced no changes, our bench contained Ryan McGowan, Connor McLennan, David Wotherspoon, and Jamie Murphy.

We drew 1-1 thanks to a screamer from nothing. Our manager talks about the top 6 being all but beyond us, and says (just a week or two after saying the opposite) that all our attention has to be about avoiding the bottom two.

Was saying on the way home tonight that it’s pretty mental that Davidson had the first season he had and still won’t be considered our greatest ever manager. I guess it says a lot for both Tommy Wright and Callum Davidson that that’s the case, but still. 

If there are 10 players carrying injuries, maybe he needs to look at his training. Wouldn’t be the first time there’s been a spate of strain related injuries. All bad luck of course. 

The match thread should probably be reserved for the life-sucking, soul-crushing shambles that is VAR so will focus on the football here and just where do you start?

A demoralising, predictable and negative starting team that had drained any enthusiasm even before getting soaked walking to the ground. But what followed for 45 minutes was worse than I suspect anyone could have envisaged. The hosts dominated absolutely every aspect of the first half and should have been out of sight by the break. Callum Davidson, of course, tried nothing to stem the tide at any point during the first 40 minutes despite his team being overwhelmed.

I've seen folk mention the Livingston game but that wasn't wave-after-wave of attack, they were just more clinical in rarer forays forward whilst, for their part, Saints at least tried to attack. The Hibs game at Easter Road is probably a fairer comparison but still wasn't as bad as that yesterday. One of the worst halves of football I've ever witnessed from St Johnstone.

The old cliché about it being impossible that the second half could be worse rang true and it was better, especially following the withdrawal of Bair and particularly the abominable Carey. But let's not overlook the fact that VAR has saved us from defeat.

Another two-week break and another good opportunity to sack this manager. Of course, we know they won't, but it is irrefutable that they should be doing. This club will never progress with him in charge. There is simply no longer any case for the defence.

Agree with every word @Radford. Walking to the ground there was a tiny glimer of hope that we might see a back 4 but that lineup was worse than even most seasoned Davidson-watchers could have predicted. His constant moaning about the pitch beforehand just reinforces the negativity, giving reasons for losing before a ball's kicked.

I used to post after most games, with poorly thought through views admittedly, but at least I cared a bit.

Can't even bring myself to pick over the corpse of that performance. If anyone asks you why Saints fans want their double-winning 'hero' manager bulleted (as some fans of other clubs often do) just show them that first half.

We are a side without any redeeming qualities, it's utterly miserable, and it's all on Callum Davidson.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese