Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

I will head down to the post office later on and telegraph my stories to the writers stop 

Imagine the uproar on WAP, it's not inclusive enough just asking old folk for their stories. They need someone there to hold their hand when typing an email or picking up a phone. It's not like the same old folk who seemingly struggle with this, post 500 shitey posts about not standing rounds/being tight etc every fucking week. They give auld c***s a bad name.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Imagine the uproar on WAP, it's not inclusive enough just asking old folk for their stories. They need someone there to hold their hand when typing an email or picking up a phone. It's not like the same old folk who seemingly struggle with this, post 500 shitey posts about not standing rounds/being tight etc every fucking week. They give auld c***s a bad name.

Can’t believe it wasn’t offered to season ticket holders first. 

3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Auld c**t here but be fucked if can remember anything about that nil nil draw away to Killie in 2019. Callum Booth’s debut? 

It was and he brought Liam Gordon back in after injury. Liam Craig shielded the defence.

It was midweek, we'd lost 4-0 at Motherwell on the Saturday and for probably the only occasion under Tommy Wright, I thought we were in big, big trouble.

As was his way though, TW went back to basics, with the emphasis on keeping a clean sheet and succeeded and we started building from there.

Total contrast to the approach the stubborn current incumbent would take.

Envious of a brutal 0-0 draw away at Killie, that is where Callum Davidson has taken us.

30 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Can confidently predict we will be no where near a nil nil at Killie next weekend. Another defeat incoming. We are in big trouble this season IMO. Can see another play off coming down the track pretty rapidly 

Only thing in our favour is the points on the board.  The trajectory is pretty obvious under this manager and the current stewardship though, feels like a matter of time despite what the happy clappers and client journalists would tell you. 

44 minutes ago, Radford said:

It was and he brought Liam Gordon back in after injury. Liam Craig shielded the defence.

It was midweek, we'd lost 4-0 at Motherwell on the Saturday and for probably the only occasion under Tommy Wright, I thought we were in big, big trouble.

As was his way though, TW went back to basics, with the emphasis on keeping a clean sheet and succeeded and we started building from there.

Envious of a brutal 0-0 draw away at Killie, that is where Callum Davidson has taken us.

TW did away to Patrick away as well,closed the back door,to stop a really poor run, was a great 0-0 

44 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Can confidently predict we will be no where near a nil nil at Killie next weekend. Another defeat incoming. We are in big trouble this season IMO. Can see another play off coming down the track pretty rapidly 

Was speaking about this today to an old boy (32) at my work. The nightmare scenario is we're only 5/6 clear of 11th headed into the split. 

I dont think this squad can completely collapse to the degree needed (probably looking at ~5/6pts being enough to avoid 11th, and theres 10 games left) as theres too many consistent players, but if they assume that too we've seen how quickly and to what degree we can death spiral.

My worry is we get complacent the squad is fine this Summer and barely do anything to it, again.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Ibrox and Parkhead aside, away end was as empty as I think I’ve ever been in that night.  Can’t remember the exact number but it must’ve been less than 100. 

12 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Ibrox and Parkhead aside, away end was as empty as I think I’ve ever been in that night.  Can’t remember the exact number but it must’ve been less than 100. 

We seem to have had more than our fair share of midweeks at Rugby Park. I'm sure one was 85 or maybe even 65!

Not sure Challenge Cup quarter-final at Shielfield Park in 2004 will be topped though in McDiarmid-era. Total attendance was only 279.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

This is low key a huge match for us. We have Aberdeen, County, Livi and Hibs after this. Aberdeen and Hibs are now on the up, Livi will never be an easy game and that leaves County at home as an absolute must win.

Failure next Saturday drags us far too close to the bottom two for comfort.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

This is low key a huge match for us. We have Aberdeen, County, Livi and Hibs after this. Aberdeen and Hibs are now on the up, Livi will never be an easy game and that leaves County at home as an absolute must win.

Failure next Saturday drags us far too close to the bottom two for comfort.

At least we've not jinxed ourselves by having a player go to the press and claim we're going to win all 5 tbf.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

1 hour ago, Radford said:

We seem to have had more than our fair share of midweeks at Rugby Park. I'm sure one was 85 or maybe even 65!

Not sure Challenge Cup quarter-final at Shielfield Park in 2004 will be topped though in McDiarmid-era. Total attendance was only 279.

I remember going down to this game on the supporters bus from McDiarmid (which had about 15 on) and everybody on the bus got Saints players complimentary tickets.

It certainly wasn’t pretty but you just knew that was the best thing to do and TW knew how to improve things. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

Edited by derektaylor84

3 minutes ago, derektaylor84 said:

TW knew how to improve things. 

This, really.

Before that game we had 3 wins in 17 games.

After that game we had just 3 losses in 17 games (Livi away, Celtic x2).

Before that game we'd conceded 9 goals in 3 games.

After that game we only conceded 9 goals in all our non-OF games (14).

Just TW changing things tactically by using the players in his squads strengths. Flitting between back 4 and back 5, changing the CM set up dependent on what he needed (Craig/Holt/McCann/Muzz/Wotherspoon all used in multiple combinations).

Halcyon days. A manager capable of picking our best team and tweaking the tactics to gain advantages against individual opponents. The current manager sits in on a 1-0 score line against a lower league club when a 3-0 win would take us through in the league cup and, when he says he’s ‘tried everything’ to fix things, it doesn’t include changing the fucking shape of the team. 

Didn’t we also sign McCart in the January, and so began the Kerr-Gordon-McCart impregnable defence?

Hendry broke into the team in the new year, struck up a great partnership with May, and went on a great scoring streak.

Good January midfield signings as well, Holt was a steady presence alongside McCann, and Butcher added a touch of class.

This was all after a disastrous first few months of the season where Vihmann and Duffy were played regularly in defence. Beaten by both Montrose and Forfar in the league club group, an opening day 7-0 defeat and first 9 games with no win.

Finished 6th, and in the ascendancy.