Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Four of his eight appearances were against either Rangers or Celtic. Three were late cameos off the bench and one was the game at Ibrox where he was lambasted for giving the ball away on the half way line which led to a corner a few moments later, from which Rangers scored.

Three of his other appearances were against Hibs (in which we were a goal up until Bryson was sent off right on half time, Vertainen was hooked to bring on a midfielder, we lost 2-1 late on as we went completely backs to the wall) and against Aberdeen (both off the bench).

His only actual proper run out was away at Dundee where he got 70 minutes in a horror show of a 1-0 defeat where he didn't exactly cover himself in glory, though neither did anyone else.

Aye its such a small sample size i find it bizarre people are talking in absolutes about him.

Like theres every chance hes not good enough, but he never played enough for us to actually know.

I want even start on the bizarre condescending talk about Irish football as if we're some powerhouse nation. It might well be Championship/L1 level but the same folk would be screeching for us to be after a 23yo striker with 17 goals in either of those divisions.

5 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Vertainen had zero faith shown in him. Compare that to guys like Carey who gets chance after chance. 

Yeah it feels very much like your face either fits or it doesnt.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah it feels very much like your face either fits or it doesnt.

Seems so. Plus the bizarre opportunity given to Bair time and again. The definition of a competition winner.

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Seems so. Plus the bizarre opportunity given to Bair time and again. The definition of a competition winner.

I think thats due to a lack of options more than anything. If Kane had been fit we wouldnt have seen him as much IMO, and i think Rudden and McLennan are both ahead of him now.

He really, really, needs regular games somewhere and its probably best for all if he finds that this Summer one way or another.

3 hours ago, The Saintee said:

And the response in The Courier from Eric Nick is quite something 😂 

Even managed a wee dig at Grieve.

It bewilders me that someone so clueless about the game can make a living from writing about it.

Let’s be honest, a young player scoring 20 goals in NI would likely be a typical signing target for us (righty or wrongly).

Anyway, I see BJM was sent off for Sligo the other day.

19 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

It bewilders me that someone so clueless about the game can make a living from writing about it.

Let’s be honest, a young player scoring 20 goals in NI would likely be a typical signing target for us (righty or wrongly).

Anyway, I see BJM was sent off for Sligo the other day.

I don't know how much different the standard is between North and South but Graham Cummins rarely hit that amount.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

That’s it for me. Bair hasn’t shown anything to merit any game time. I suspect the fact Kane remains sidelined and he’s our only actual striker left on the bench has more to do with that than anything else.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Quite sensational pet journalism going on there. A tour-de-force.

A month ago he slated the manager for sticking by a back 3 and how a back 4 would be better for everyone.

Since then hes suddenly decided a back 3 is great again, to the point he simultaneously said the back 3 was wrong as it had 2 players needlessly out of position but was also the best way to play and worked well.

Its weird because every so often you see him breaking through then he vanishes under the thumb again.

11 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I don't know how much different the standard is between North and South but Graham Cummins rarely hit that amount.

Theres not been anyone under 25 hit 15+ goals in that league for 5 years, at least. I cant easily see beyond that.

Hes 24 and has 17.

Watching Dunfermline v Falkirk, awful first half, but Max Kucheriavyi started.

Hes playing a deeper lying midfield role, dropping and taking the ball off the defence. Mostly just played the simple pass but he’s been very composed and tidy on the ball so far. He certainly isn’t short of confidence.

Without looking at anything on the pitch, St Johnstone are such a shit club overall just now. 

Run, managed and operated by a shower of arseholes, including the client journalists. 

And then we turn to what's happening on the pitch. 

Its not enjoyable having contempt for the club you support, and will keep supporting. 

FWIW Dobbie, at the same age Vertainen, was in the Scottish 3rd tier with Dumbarton hitting double figures in a move that kick started his career.

Saying that Vertainen 100% cant match that (after scoring more at a higher level) is bold and theres every chance its another "Motherwell will regret not hiring Tommy Wright" moment.

On 06/03/2023 at 12:07, PauloPerth said:

Hearts are a different animal now from the one Tommy Wright came up against when they had good seasons but overall were a bit of a yo-yo club. Look at the squad they’ve bought ffs. Alan Forrest, livingston’s best attacking player for a few years and a former target of ours, is a fringe player and came on as their 4th or 5th sub.  Ultimately we weren’t good enough in either box.

One of the big things with Forrest was that he was shite, if not average up until the last 6 months of his contract. Before then I think most Livi fans expected him to drop down a league. Seems like one of those players that plays out of his skin when he can get a move, otherwise he's just picking up a wage. There were times Forrest was one of our 2nd or 3rd subs to come on

One for the more decrepit posters in our support really, due to how long ago some of the games are, just posting here as i assume they cant work twitter.

@PauloPerth @The Marly @tree house tam

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

One for the more decrepit posters in our support really, due to how long ago some of the games are, just posting here as i assume they cant work twitter.

@PauloPerth @The Marly @tree house tam

As with most old c***s I struggle to remember last week. I find that LSD helps immensely, if they give me a daily supply I'll help them out.

Edited by tree house tam