Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive been pretty clear for a while i dont want McLennan permanently, im just a bit surprised hes being singled out after yesterday. 

We've seen O'Hallorans Saints career stifled and killed, with him barely ever seeing the ball, because the manager tried to turn a winger into a striker. We saw Glenn Middleton slowly degrade from a player willing to take men on to a player who couldnt look bothered and barely touched the ball because the managers tried to turn a winger into a striker. 

Now McLennan is also being accused of not looking bothered and barely touching the ball because the manager is trying to turn a winger into a striker.

The fact hes back to trying it, while simultaneously back to wedging Brown into awkward positions to play a back 5 instead of a back 4, is yet again a massive flashing red beacon that hes not learned a fucking thing over the past 6 months and has yet again lied that hes willing to be more flexible simply to get fans onside.

Ive already seen people suggesting hes justified because yesterdays set up "worked for an hour". I hate that argument completely. Just because we looked decent doesnt mean we wouldn't have with a back four. It was the same after the Utd game. We won so apparently you cant say the set up was wrong and didnt make the most of what we have.

McLennan broke through as a striker and was shunted out wide. 

Has not really kicked on from his first 20 or so games. 

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McLennan broke through as a striker and was shunted out wide. 

Has not really kicked on from his first 20 or so games. 

Hes definitely a winger, for me, as his strengths are pretty limited on the ball. Put him on the right, tell him to run with the ball and see what happens, and youve got a good squad player for a bottom half side at worst.

Hes got literally no idea how to play up front, so he'll never be a top flight striker.

Hes not helped by the fact we literally play a strikerless set up though and hes forced to try and play up front and out wide all at once.

Edited by RandomGuy.

A partnership of McLennan and May up front was a fucking weird one. Agree with Random that McLennan is a winger, but he’s probably passable up front - if he’s playing next to Nicky Clark, or somebody like him. Could’ve almost forgiven Davidson that one if it was to allow us to be more flexible within the game but we were so rigid and stuck with the same shape. 

Edited by PSJ.84

The frustrating thing for me, apart from the system and playing players out of position to suit that system, is the substitutions or lack of them. Callum waits far too long to use them, the game is often irretrievable by the time he gets round to making them. Frustrates the life out of me. The obvious one for me was #shagsquad for Maclennan at 1-0 yesterday. Connors tracking of runners is woeful and he wasn't impacting the game, change it and give the baldy shagger an extended run out, he's a striker with a point to prove.

40 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The frustrating thing for me, apart from the system and playing players out of position to suit that system, is the substitutions or lack of them. Callum waits far too long to use them, the game is often irretrievable by the time he gets round to making them. Frustrates the life out of me. The obvious one for me was #shagsquad for Maclennan at 1-0 yesterday. Connors tracking of runners is woeful and he wasn't impacting the game, change it and give the baldy shagger an extended run out, he's a striker with a point to prove.

He freezes.

I cant get to away games but watch them all by stream, and it regularly cuts to a view of him between 45-60 minutes and if the games close hes literally always panting as if hes having a panic attack. Never seen another manager like it.

Steve Bright watch:

Steve has proclaimed that he has never looked forward to Saints matches more than he currently does

Scott Mann watch:

Has described us as ‘P&B wankers’ for mocking Steve Bright

The Real Saints watch:

After a few seconds of deliberation, has decided to continue mocking Steve Bright on P&B

Edited by The Real Saints

10 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Steve Bright watch:

Steve has proclaimed that he has never looked forward to Saints matches more than he currently does

Scott Mann watch:

Has described us as ‘P&B wankers’ for mocking Steve Bright

The Real Saints watch:

After a few seconds of deliberation, has decided to continue mocking Steve Bright on P&B

That's genuinely crazy. There is absolutely nothing to enjoy about St Johnstone at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

That's genuinely crazy. There is absolutely nothing to enjoy about St Johnstone at the moment. 

Tbf even he doesnt pretend there is.

His reasons for enjoying going to Saints games is entirely because we won 2 trophies a few years ago, and that his grandchildren have started going to games.

The biggest "superfan" blowhard we have, who defends Davidson to the hilt, and even he isnt suggesting the football being served up is exciting.

Imagine being a fan who can only go to home games btw, imagine how brutal the past 2 seasons have been entertainment wise.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf even he doesnt pretend there is.

His reasons for enjoying going to Saints games is entirely because we won 2 trophies a few years ago, and that his grandchildren have started going to games.

The biggest "superfan" blowhard we have, who defends Davidson to the hilt, and even he isnt suggesting the football being served up is exciting.

Imagine being a fan who can only go to home games btw, imagine how brutal the past 2 seasons have been entertainment wise.

Barely any wins and precious few goals. With the added bonus of being outnumbered by scummy OF fans.

Good to see Chris Kane doing some up of the pre match warm up on Saturday, hopefully not too far away from returning.

I have noticed we have only named 8 of 9 substitutes for the last 2 games, injuries, suspensions and loans out all adding up to being a bit short all of a sudden. Was Saturday the first time Liam Parker has been on the bench?

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

22 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Wotherspoon being left out in the cold is infuriating me, especially given the players getting game time ahead of him. On board with everything else you say about the style of play and the pig headed attachment to the formation and system, even when it clearly isn’t working.

Nothing makes sense just now.

In other news a very tidy finish by Wee Max for his goal yesterday and he looks to have a good set piece on him as well - he assists Falkirk’s second by putting two corners in a row right into the same spot. The first one is cleared and he’s demanding someone makes the run into that space before he takes the second one. It is duly put on a plate for the arriving attacker.

Id like to think we’re building towards him and Sinclair being starters next season but who knows.

Do they turn 32 during the close season? Because that would help. 

I think it makes it worse with Davidson that he switched to the four for the Rangers games and we were good to watch and played pretty well yet he's been allergic to go near it again despite not having the players to operate in an effective back three.

We should be looking forward to next season with MacPherson (who was good on Saturday bar a few slack passes) and Phillips developing and the prospect of Kucheriavyi and Sinclair breaking through but instead it's the anticipation of more drudgery under a man who makes Billy Stark seem exciting.

Enjoyed Davidson saying in his Sportscene post-match interview that we've played worse at Tynecastle and got results while he was a player or assistant manager. 

He had to say the second bit because we've meekly lost all three of our games at Tynecastle under Davidson.

Tommy Wright's Tynecastle record: 

won: 3

Drawn: 2

Loss: 6

Scored: 13

Conceded: 17

Davidson's:

Won: 0

Drawn: 0

Lost: 3

scored: 2

Conceded: 8