Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The thing all you moaners have to remember is we almost got relegated last season so not finishing the bottom two should be celebrated and treated like winning a trophy.

The style of play will improve once we're safe, the shitfest tactics of the past 3 years have simply been to keep us in the division.

Its lucky none of you were fans in the 80s, you should be grateful for what youve seen because we'll stop overachieving and return to our rightful level soon enough.

56 minutes ago, Munoz said:

In your 3-0 victory earlier in the season against us you sat in like an away team. 

It must be one of the few away games we had more possession, shots and corners. 

It worked well for you that day.

That isn't what Saints fans are going by though. There's been at least 3 other notable examples of him trying to do it at home this season. 

St Johnstone 0-1 Dundee United

St Johnstone 0-1 Aberdeen

St Johnstone 0-1 Hibs

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Our away form hasnt even been great either.

2-1 v Well - Required a 94th scabby winner after chucking away a comfortable lead by sitting deep for no reason

0-4 v Rangers - Humped

2-3 v Hearts - Carey scores after the keeper passes to him and gives him an open goal. Hearts then lose 3 players to injuries and the game with 27 shots.

2-1 v Utd - Well earned win against a side recovering from the 9-0 Celtic game and having just sacked their manager

1-2 v Killie - Didnt get near them and only scored due to a last minute scramble 

0-1 v Livi - Sure it was fairly even but we looked toothless throughout

2-1 v Hibs - Losing until they go down to 10, and rely on a marginal offside call ruling out a Hibs 2nd. Porteous then chucks 2 goals in.

2-2 v St Mirren - Red card leaves us down to 10 early, so hard to judge. Relied on 96th equaliser from nothing.

2-1 v County - Losing until they go down to 10. Crawford scores twice in final 15 mins as we chuck about 8 attackers on the park.

0-2 v Dons - Sat back against one of the worst sides in the division form wise and got routinely beaten without getting near them.

0-2 v Rangers - Referee a total farce 

2-0 v Motherwell - Absolutely battered a team devoid of confidence but allowed them to come back into the game by sitting deep. 

2-1 v United - Absolutely battered a team devoid of confidence but allowed them to come back into the game by sitting deep. Relied on one of the worst goalkeeping mistakes youll ever see to win it.

So aye. 6 of our away points v Utd who look destined for 12, 6 against Well who were looking destined for relegation both times we played them, and 6pts against Hibs/County, we were losing both before they had men sent off. Our away points total is impressive but even a quick deeper look at the games doesnt exactly suggest some incredible tactical performance beyond playing Motherwell, United, or 10 men.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I mean, at the start of this season my initial thought was “shitball it to f**k to stay up”. 

Now I’ve seen glimmers of what we could do, I reckon it’s a massive missed opportunity. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The thing all you moaners have to remember is we almost got relegated last season so not finishing the bottom two should be celebrated and treated like winning a trophy.

The style of play will improve once we're safe, the shitfest tactics of the past 3 years have simply been to keep us in the division.

Its lucky none of you were fans in the 80s, you should be grateful for what youve seen because we'll stop overachieving and return to our rightful level soon enough.

I'm so mired in apathy I can't even be bothered arguing with you now. It's shit. 🙄

I see Livi are in for Deas. Surely, SURELY we are in there too trying to make that signing. Absolutely fits the bill for us, and lives in Perth (I think). 

The club can’t be daft enough to let that one pass us by.

Make it happen Saints. 

Edited by John Bonham

51 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

I see Livi are in for Deas. Surely, SURELY we are in there too trying to make that signing. Absolutely fits the bill for us, and lives in Perth (I think). 

Make it happen Saints. 

I've been saying for months now we should be in for him. That being said, we bid cash for him in January last year and he wanted to make the move, so it only seems logical that we'll have been keeping an eye on him and speaking with his agent about his recovery you'd imagine. On the plus side, he's a player Davidson knows and wanted (a bit like RUdden) so that might be a good omen. We also never replaced Mahon in the squad and left sided centrebacks are rare.

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

2-1 v Well - Required a 94th scabby winner after chucking away a comfortable lead by sitting deep for no reason

0-4 v Rangers - Humped

2-3 v Hearts - Carey scores after the keeper passes to him and gives him an open goal. Hearts then lose 3 players to injuries and the game with 27 shots.

2-1 v Utd - Well earned win against a side recovering from the 9-0 Celtic game and having just sacked their manager

1-2 v Killie - Didnt get near them and only scored due to a last minute scramble 

2-1 v Hibs - Losing until they go down to 10, and rely on a marginal offside call ruling out a Hibs 2nd. Porteous then chucks 2 goals in.

2-2 v St Mirren - Red card leaves us down to 10 early, so hard to judge. Relied on 96th equaliser from nothing.

2-1 v County - Losing until they go down to 10. Crawford scores twice in final 15 mins as we chuck about 8 attackers on the park.

0-2 v Dons - Sat back against one of the worst sides in the division form wise and got routinely beaten without getting near them.

2-0 v Motherwell - Absolutely battered a team devoid of confidence but allowed them to come back into the game by sitting deep. 

2-1 v United - Absolutely battered a team devoid of confidence but allowed them to come back into the game by sitting deep. Relied on one of the worst goalkeeping mistakes youll ever see to win it.

So aye. 6 of our away points v Utd who look destined for 12, 6 against Well who were looking destined for relegation both times we played them, and 6pts against Hibs/County, we were losing both before they had men sent off. Our away points total is impressive but even a quick deeper look at the games doesnt exactly suggest some incredible tactical performance beyond playing Motherwell, United, or 10 men.

ZZZZ zzz ZZZZ 

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

0-4 v Rangers - Humped

In fairness to him, you could do this about any game in the history of football.  For instance, we were well on top in Dingwall and looked destined to at least equalise before their red card. We only made three subs that day - Crawford for Wotherspoon(before the red card), Bair for Brown and McLennan for May - so to say we threw on about eight attackers is unfair. It could be argued (by somebody with more faith in Davidson than me) that changing to 4-4-2 once they go to 10 men is actually decent management. 

47 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

In fairness to him, you could do this about any game in the history of football.  For instance, we were well on top in Dingwall and looked destined to at least equalise before their red card. We only made three subs that day - Crawford for Wotherspoon(before the red card), Bair for Brown and McLennan for May - so to say we threw on about eight attackers is unfair. It could be argued (by somebody with more faith in Davidson than me) that changing to 4-4-2 once they go to 10 men is actually decent management. 

I was more trying to highlight that the away tactics havent worked so well its worth defaulting to them at home rather than trying a more attacking back 4 set up, which seems to be the managers intention.

On 22/02/2023 at 10:55, John Bonham said:

Make it happen Saints. 

Deas is one of these players that if we don't end up signing him, we will look back in years to come and almost remember as if he had!

As for the Saints form etc, what is thankfully different from last season is that we are getting away with bad performances and getting something from the games, which did not happen last term. Also helped by other sides being totally rank. However, with that comes the lack of edge around a proper relegation fight as we were in last year. This all feels a bit bland and boring at the moment.

As others have said, there is glimpses of what this team could be if they were given a bit more freedom, but we ain't getting anything pretty under Davidson. Maybe he will have a Tommy Wright type change in approach and be more expansive. 🤔 

Quick historical question…looking into a 26 August 1972 match at Starks Park, and wondering what kit St Johnstone would have been wearing. Raith would be in their Cobalt blue early 70’s tops, but I can’t find an image of St Johnstone's 72-73 away strip. Thanks.

Edited by TxRover

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Quick historical question…looking into a 26 August 1972 match at Starks Park, and wondering what kit St Johnstone would have been wearing. Raith would be in their Cobalt blue early 70’s tops, but I can’t find an image of St Johnstone's 72-73 away strip. Thanks.

Pretty sure it’d be all white ,with blue round collar and cuffs,white socks,with two blue rings at top ,if not round neck,it’d be a collar with built in V 

Edited by glenrothes 1884 saint

18 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Did the home team not change in those days?

8 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Did the home team not change in those days?

Don’t know, but it’s an interesting question.

21 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Pretty sure it’d be all white ,with blue round collar and cuffs,white socks,with two blue rings at top ,if not round neck,it’d be a collar with built in V 

Excellent, thanks.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

There's a pic of the 1970/71 away kit here: https://bhfanzine.wordpress.com/1970-71/

I know that's not quite the right season but the 72/73 kit probably wasn't a million miles away from this one, with probably only the collar changing if anything.

18 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

There's a pic of the 1970/71 away kit here: https://bhfanzine.wordpress.com/1970-71/

I know that's not quite the right season but the 72/73 kit probably wasn't a million miles away from this one, with probably only the collar changing if anything.

Thank you, that certainly strikes a chord.