Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I feel like we’ve struck on a good balance in the team now in both a 3-5-2 and a 4-4-1-1 and Philips and Macpherson seem like the key to that. That’s 3 and a half games we’ve looked a lot more like our past selves.  

Have to feel that if we keep those two in the team  (big ask given MacPherson’s injury record and Philips’ discipline)and May and Clark can carry on their form until the summer then we shouldn’t get dragged into the dog fight. I think top 6 might be a big ask but if the manager keeps being flexible with the shape and play horses for courses then there’s probably enough about us to take advantage on a couple of the teams in there at the moment going off the boil. 

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I think top 6 might be a big ask but if the manager keeps being flexible with the shape and play horses for courses then there’s probably enough about us to take advantage on a couple of the teams in there at the moment going off the boil. 

The sliding door is open and he merely needs to walk through it, now.

Keep playing back 4/5 dependent on opponent. Play players in their strongest positions. This Summer free the dead weight and use the experienced base left to give yourself freedom to develop younger players. Everyone wins.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The sliding door is open and he merely needs to walk through it, now.

Keep playing back 4/5 dependent on opponent. Play players in their strongest positions. This Summer free the dead weight and use the experienced base left to give yourself freedom to develop younger players. Everyone wins.

Absolutely agree with this. Phillips and MacPherson have to start every game they’re available now and if it continues to work we need to build round that. Hallberg works far better in that advanced role than anywhere else and it all has a nice balance to it.

Why it’s taken so long to realise some of this is beyond me.

30 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Who plays there on Sunday? Surely it will be Brown since Gallacher can’t even get in the squad 

Really difficult one. Play Brown then we’re restricted to only attacking down the right but Gallachers barely played. Do you trust Gallacher to play in a four? At least that way we’re not completely reliant on him down that side. Don’t envy the manager

Bit of a nothing player back then but he’s clearly had a pretty good career since. He had a decent spell towards the end of his loan with us and I think Wright wanted to keep him on but he ended up going back to Swansea mid season. 

46 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Is the loan window still open? 

No. Edwards was meant to go to Charlton on deadline day but that deal fell through. Edwards has hardly played this season, so he must have told his agent to get him out anywhere, the deal was faxed through late on Tuesday night and the clearance has only come through now. That's my guess of the situation, anyway.