Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I can never make my mind up about Rudden, shows the occasional promise in flashes but it overall just hasn't clicked for him at Dundee. There's probably a set up and play style that gets the most out of him but we never saw it at Dens.

Watts better than Rudden, but we've got Clark/May on long, likely big, deals and both played well together earlier this season.

Id rather see that relationship given a chance to build with a young kid desperate to impress getting minutes here and there, than have Tony Watt here tbh. Hes good but not so much better than May/Clark that we could justify launching a chunk of money at him for ~10 games, and if he didnt play regularly he'd probably end up disruptive.

Might be wrong, and if Ruddens on a fortune here then it looks bad.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

I mean there's trying too hard, then there's this...

He's not far off tbf. f**k knows how he has as good a reputation as he does (and that's with his stint at us denting it somewhat). 

I can only hope he does enough for Davidson to want to keep him so for that reason alone I hope he bangs them in.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

"Knowing he took interest in me before makes me want to give that extra 20%"

..Is an interesting quote. I get it's just a classic footballing cliche, but wouldn't you expect any signing to give 100% no matter what?

btw, I am genuinely surprised you went for Rudden when Watt was available.

He's either not the brightest or he's just revealed he's got a bit of an attitude problem. Maybe why our manager let him go with barely any competent strikers on the books. I still suspect it's the former rather than a sly dig though. Doesn't seem the type.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's not far off tbf. f**k knows how he has as good a reputation as he does

He hit double figures in the Championship at 18/19, and is a former Rangers youth.

I suspect in footballing circles thats had him marked as a "high potential" player for a while, and people think he might do a Nisbet/Shankland and just suddenly catch fire and rediscover that after a few dodgy spells.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

He hit double figures in the Championship at 18/19, and is a former Rangers youth.

I suspect in footballing circles thats had him marked as a "high potential" player for a while, and people think he might do a Nisbet/Shankland and just suddenly catch fire and rediscover that after a few dodgy spells.

I'd be happy with that as it'll drive up his value but having watched him, I highly doubt it. 

Think it's telling we've papped out a striker on loan in order to strengthen our... striking options! 

Anyways, last I'll say on it because I might be misconstrued as coming across as salty about it. Seems a decent enough lad so hope he shuts my pus.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think it's telling we've papped out a striker on loan in order to strengthen our... striking options! 

Maybe he wanted to leave because he wanted top flight football?

Hes your joint top scorer (now top since the loanee left) and youre replacing him with kids with no senior CV at all.

Genuinely no idea why Dundee fans are so convinced theyre coming out of this well.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Hes your joint top scorer (now top since the loanee left) and youre replacing him with kids with no senior CV at all.

Genuinely no idea why Dundee fans are so convinced theyre coming out of this well.

Because we've watched him play. I think you seem to be forgetting that aspect. 

I still hold out hope that we will get Robinson back but ultimately I'd much rather take a punt that could go either way than keep him. Genuinely.

Was even coming round to the idea of Bair being a possibility and still being good business.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Because we've watched him play. I think you seem to be forgetting that aspect. 

I reserve the right to change my opinion in a few months then 😂

One benefit is we're only loaning him, but MacPherson/Crawford were both ~average on their loan spells and we chucked 2+ year contracts at them + paid a fee for MacPherson, so who knows whatll happen.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I reserve the right to change my opinion in a few months then 😂

One benefit is we're only loaning him, but MacPherson/Crawford were both ~average on their loan spells and we chucked 2+ year contracts at them + paid a fee for MacPherson, so who knows whatll happen.

Yeah, definitely. I don't see this as a complete dud deal for you - I'm just happy we've offloaded him.Could be wrong but I'd imagine you have a future fee agreed if you want to keep him? No loss for you guys really. Punt him back if he's shite or if he hits the goal trail and does smash it then the fee might seem like a snip!

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Could be wrong but I'd imagine you have a future fee agreed if you want to keep him? 

That would require forward planning.

The manager suggested he hadnt even thought about signing anyone about a week ago.

I think as an option off the bench Rudden is no worse than what we’ve had in recent years. If it allows Bair out to get game time that he desperately needs then great. Off the bench is where he sounds at his best (albeit limited) and realistically he’s getting 15/20 minutes here and there unless he proves he’s worth starting. Sometimes it works out at other clubs, for our sake I hope he gets 4/5 goals, but if it doesn’t we hand him back and say no thanks after the loan. 

I think only Saints could enter the January looking to shrink the squad and, through a variety of signings and loans returning, grow the squad by 3 or 4 in the window, and still be looking to sign a defender. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Except Thomas is 27, so 5 years older than Rudden with 175 senior games on his CV. We haven’t signed any players with the pedigree you describe, well at least not yet. 

Rudden will give his all every game, his problem is his lack of knowledge of the game and his roll in the side. We play with a lone striker who’s purpose is to hold the ball etc to bring others into play. He’s the furthest player up the park and flicks long balls on and doing stupid flicks when you just want him to hold it up. For a big lad he’s as soft as they come. The 1st sign of contact and he’s on his arse. Does his better work off a striker. Good luck to the guy. 

37 notifications. Jesus Christ. 

In - Sinclair, Montgomery (bearing in mind he was due to leave this month),  Ballantyne, Gilmour, Rudden + 1 defender 

Out - Mahon 

we’ll have more players than supporters that went to the rangers cup game shortly, and that’s with the manager actively trying to get players off the books. 

The fact they’re all still here probably tells it’s own story. Either no one wants them or the players won’t shift because we’re the only mugs who will pay them what they’re currently on at Saints. 

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Will also want to leave to play for a bigger club too.....

Choice of playing lower league football with no marks in a crumbling stadium vs top flight football is a no brainer. 😎