Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Rudden came on as a sub against St Mirren last week but I don’t recall him getting a kick of the ball. I’ve watched him play for Falkirk, Thistle and Dundee and I have always been disappointed with his impact on the game. I think CD is just looking for a certain type of striker but I don’t think he’d score many in the Premier league.

11 minutes ago, Kempes said:

I think CD is just looking for a certain type of striker but I don’t think he’d score many in the Premier league.

Aye but what is that? 

Whites an experienced, relatively immobile, target man who can play up top alone and bring others into play.

From memory Rudden is a busybody poacher type who has to play in a two alongside a target man type, and who struggles to linl play at this level.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye but what is that? 

Whites an experienced, relatively immobile, target man who can play up top alone and bring others into play.

From memory Rudden is a busybody poacher type who has to play in a two alongside a target man type, and who struggles to linl play at this level.

Were you not one of the other teams (along with us and Carlisle(?)) who were taking a look at Rudden last year when he was still at Thistle?

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Were you not one of the other teams (along with us and Carlisle(?)) who were taking a look at Rudden last year when he was still at Thistle?

Yeah we were linked with a PCA in January then Dundee signed him straight away.

I was quite keen on taking a punt on him then but im not sure what he'll be adding to us now. Much like White it would probably depend on the money involved, hes still young so worth a punt but not for lots of money.

Rudden is slow, tactically inept, doesn't win many headers, can't hold the ball up, touch is terrible but does have a knack of being in the right place at times. If he was to get a midfield built directly for his unique set of skills and had a strike partner, then he can probably score 10-12 goals per season in the top flight. The problem is, he's not a good enough player to be able to command that sort of set-up.

Personally, I'd be happy to see him go. Far from the worst player but doesn't really add much either. I think most Dee's would see it the same way.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rudden is slow, tactically inept, doesn't win many headers, can't hold the ball up, touch is terrible but does have a knack of being in the right place at times. If he was to get a midfield built directly for his unique set of skills and had a strike partner, then he can probably score 10-12 goals per season in the top flight. The problem is, he's not a good enough player to be able to command that sort of set-up.

Personally, I'd be happy to see him go. Far from the worst player but doesn't really add much either. I think most Dee's would see it the same way.

100k + for him as well I presume... 🙃

7 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

100k + for him as well I presume... 🙃

Does provide a lot of good, honest, hard work and chasing after the ball though which Davidson seems to be a fan of.

Apparently we're happy with this deal (if it is true) because it'll allow us to go and try to sign Zach Robinson permanently.

Absolute madness that St J don't just try and cut out the middle man and go for Robinson themselves who is a much superior player.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Does provide a lot of good, honest, hard work and chasing after the ball though which Davidson seems to be a fan of.

Apparently we're happy with this deal (if it is true) because it'll allow us to go and try to sign Zach Robinson permanently.

Absolute madness that St J don't just try and cut out the middle man and go for Robinson themselves who is a much superior player.

Probably because Rudden is another of biscuits boys 

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's the problem with the likes of May & Kane at times. They do plenty hard work etc but too often when the ball flashes across the 6 yard line theyre nowhere to be seen. 

Unsure if that's because they're absolutely knackered after spending most of the game chasing lost causes all over the place or just lack a brain. Kane used to be really bad for it. Often standing at the edge of the box etc but did significantly improve that. 

Maybe Rudden will be better 🤷‍♂️

Unsure why we'd sign another striker similar to 3 we've already got though?

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is it not more likely Dundee would be happy with this as need the cash?

For me, Rudden is a bit of a meh signing, but, if he chips in with some goals or brings something out in others (like Clark with May), then might not be too bad.

Certainly an upgrade on White given age and potential to develop etc.