Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I've not really been keeping an eye on St Johnstone, but I'm not sure of the reality where MacPherson is somehow the linchpin to your success and that Davidson needs to play him sparingly so to not lose their prized asset to future injury.

I'll be honest, I liked MacPherson when he was with us, but he's not a great player and his development stalled with us. That said, on his day he can put in a decent enough performance to consider worthy of inclusion in most bottom 6 sides. However, how the hell have you got to the point where Davidson is singling him out as a star player in your squad? I see the courier has the quote, "he can do anything".

As I say, I liked MacPherson, he seems an honest lad, but in what sort of World would he be considered as being able to 'do anything'.

Edit: I think Tam has answered that question for me, before I had hit submit!

Davidson is a moron in the first place which must be remembered. Also he has some kind of arrogant blind spot with MacPherson where he and he alone has seen a "player". 

He actually said that MacPherson is a better footballer than Ali McCann.

For that alone he should be sacked.

We've gone from Chris Millar, Prime Murray Davidson, Bryson arguably who was running cup finals on one leg and Ali McCann a one man midfield to MacPherson.

That's a huge problem and Davidson doesn't see it. 

In fact if it wasn't for Davidson then MacPherson would be at Stirling Albion.

20 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

In fact if it wasn't for Davidson then MacPherson would be at Stirling Albion.

Im no huge fan of MacPherson, or Davidson, but MacPherson clearly isnt as bad as people make out.

Hes alongside Brown for me. Better than he looks because the manager cant see their weaknesses and play them in a way to stop them being exposed, but not good enough they should be starting regularly. Realistically they should be back up/rotation options and no more.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im no huge fan of MacPherson, or Davidson, but MacPherson clearly isnt as bad as people make out.

Hes alongside Brown for me. Better than he looks because the manager cant see their weaknesses and play them in a way to stop them being exposed, but not good enough they should be starting regularly. Realistically they should be back up/rotation options and no more.

Nail on the head with so much of his game plan. Playing players in roles and asking them to do things that they're not best suited for all to fit into his "philosophy". It's something that's been driving me mad for a long time. 

Brown and Booth as wing backs - they're solid but shouldn't be asked to be the main attacking threat in wide areas.

Asking Gordon to consistently take the ball from the goalkeeper to play out with no midfielder dropping in to take possession from him - Aberdeen away recently being a good example. Gordon has done well for Saints over many years but one thing he is not is a ball playing defender. 

Hallberg & Carey as the deeper sitting midfielder. Neither will cover the midfield to the extent is required defensively playing in that role. Carey just doesn't have the legs for it either. 

Mitchell as a wide centre back. Defensively it's fine but he's no better than Gordon on the ball and in that role you need to be able to offer something occasionally in possession in or around & beyond half way. It's even more of a problem with Considine on the other side as it results in all of the back 3 being not very good in possession. 

In the past we've had games where Muzz is dropping deep and taking possession when playing out. Again, has a role, that isn't it though. 

Murphy as part of a front two...

Rant over 🤣

If he just let go of the back 3, especially in games where Saints are keen to show some attacking intent there's a chance the current set of players could do better than they are. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Brown I'd kind of agree on ( he's a limited defender that is asked too much of consistently) but so far there is zero about MacPherson that justifies him being at the club. 

What does your toolkit tell us about MacPherson?

9 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

He did when he signed. 

He'd always rated him and he         " was probably a better footballer than Ali McCann."

I only remember something along the lines of (paraphrasing here) ‘he’s not quite Ali but he’s as close as we can get to him’

5 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

I only remember something along the lines of (paraphrasing here) ‘he’s not quite Ali but he’s as close as we can get to him’

He described him as "probably more of a football player". 

32 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

He did when he signed. 

He'd always rated him and he         " was probably a better footballer than Ali McCann."

I think McPherson has been sub par at best for Saints and I'd have him nowhere near a starting 11 currently, but I think I know what Davidson would have been getting at.

McPherson is probably a more skilled footballer than Ali McCann, however McCann possesses so much more un his game, that more than compensates; strength, game awareness, composure and effort. Plenty of examples of very talented footballers over the years lacking those (see Gary Farquhar) and dropped down the levels. 

McPherson frustrates, as there is deffinately a footballer in there, but sadly the desire, fitness and effort don't seem there. 

Anyone who suggests MacPherson has any abilities better than Ali McCann needs their head examined. Ali McCann was an absolutely exceptional player with a touch, range of passing, reading of the game, mobility and shooting ability miles in excess of MacPherson and indeed anybody else we’ve had in that position since we came back up.

Yeah MacPherson isn't better on the ball than McCann, he just hits hundreds of 30 yard diagonals then peacocks and if a couple come off it looks great. McCann had a brain so didnt look do the "spectacular pass" as much but was more effective. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

More pressingly, is there any hint of us offloading any of the dead wood in the squad or getting anyone else in?

Players with 5 or less league starts wlth this season:

Theo Bair (5)
Cammy Ballantyne (0)
Callum Booth (0)
Ali Crawford (2)
Murray Davidson (1)
Tony Gallacher (1)
Charlie Gilmour (0)
Max Kucheriavyi (1)
Cammy MacPherson (3)
John Mahon (0)
Connor McLennan (2)
Michael O'Halloran (0)
Daniel Phillips (5)
David Wotherspoon (4)

I'd get rid of MOH, Crawford and Gilmour with no hesitation. Phillips appearance stats are a scandal given what he's shown the last few weeks. Davidson is a tricky one for the end of the season, I'd hate to see him leave but will he ever stay fit for an extended period again? Ballantyne's time might be up now and you can probably jettison one of Booth and Gallacher at this stage as well.

The worst thing about the window so far is the fact we've brought young players back to sit in the stands.

Ill be seething if in 5 months time neither Sinclair or Ballantyne have played more than a game considering both were playing every week beforehand.

That goes for Max too tbh.

Max surely needs to either be playing at Saints or out on loan. Sticking him on the bench or in the stands while talking relentlessly about how good he is is a total waste of time.

Stevie May's development was the model we should be following here. Early promise fulfilled with loans at the right level then getting him straight in the team when he's ready.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Max surely needs to either be playing at Saints or out on loan. Sticking him on the bench or in the stands while talking relentlessly about how good he is is a total waste of time.

Its baffling.

Its clear he wasn't going to get game  time here so he should surely have been getting offered to club in the Championship and League One.

To me theres no chance not a single club would've went for it, considering the players some of them have signed, if that had happened.

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Stevie May's development was the model we should be following here. Early promise fulfilled with loans at the right level then getting him straight in the team when he's ready.

Not just Stevie May. Zander Clark, Jason Kerr & Ali McCann also followed that model to some extent. Absolute scandal how badly managed the squad is at the moment.

Edited by gingermunkie