Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Aye this is it. If it is a free transfer fine. No issues. But it’s not. It’s £100k that can be invested in another area. An area the fans have all been screaming at for a while that needs help. 

19 minutes ago, Gekko said:

If we were getting White on a free, it might be worth a punt. But paying good money for him???

Agree, he would be a decent free signing in a summer coming in as a third/fourth choice, good option to come on to change a game. But to pay six figures. Another sign of poor squad building. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

24 minutes ago, Gekko said:

If we were getting White on a free, it might be worth a punt. But paying good money for him???

1 minute ago, derektaylor84 said:

Agree, he would be a decent free signing in a summer coming in as a third/fourth choice, good option to come on to change a game. But to pay six figures. Another sign of poor squad building. 

These are spot on, for me.

A free transfer, "something different", option to have in the squad. I think hes relatively shite and has just hit oil at County but you could kind of understand the logic of getting him in.

Hes potentially going to be our most expensive signing in 20+ years though. Presumably entirely based on him playing sort of well against us.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

We’ve made a 6 figure offer for Jordan White. 30 years old. No resale value. 

why do we keep chucking money at these kinds of players? Utterly ridiculous waste of money. 

One of the worst players I've ever seen play for Motherwell. Think in all his time actually being on the pitch, Motherwell only scored about 2 goals.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A free transfer, "something different", option to have in the squad. I think hes relatively shite and has just hit oil at County but you could kind of understand the logic of getting him in.

Hes potentially going to be our most expensive signing in 20+ years though. Presumably entirely based on him playing sort of well against us.

Do you think this is sign Davidson will stick with the 1 main striker if he signs as it looked like White seemed to get the best out of Charles Cook and Hungbo playing wide of him at Ross County last season. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

46 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What I said and what you thought it said were two different things. I didn't express any opinion on whether he's good or bad. What I am saying though is 100k for him is utter madness. 

Davidson has signed a whole squad of 32-35 year old players, many of them journeyman. Many of them have been a disaster. He's used 35+ players since he became the manager. The point stands. Why did he bother going to watch the younger players. He won't sign them.  

We have games recently where there's only been 3 players starting the game under 30. The club invested and worked very hard to bring the age of the squad down. Davidson completely undoing it and spending money not seen by a Saints manager since the 90's. Yet going backwards rapidly. 

I'm afraid you'll need to forgive the many Saints fans who have zero faith in Davidson and his recruitment as since he's joined the club it's been 90% disaster. 

Jordan White himself should think twice of joining any team managed by Davidson anyway His treatment of players. Occasionally publicly berating them directly has left a lot to be desired. 

Maybe he's trying to keep you in the division 

1 minute ago, derektaylor84 said:

Do you think this is sign Davidson will stick with the 1 main striker if he signs as it looked like White seemed to get the best out of Charles Cook and Hungbo playing wide of him at Ross County last season. 

Would make sense, why sign a limited target man then not use his limited strengths?

But who knows with Davidson. Theres more chance we're spending £100k+ on him to come off the bench when we're chasing games because, remarkably, Bair getting 10 minutes every 2 weeks hasn't turned him into a superstar.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

On the "struck oil at County" with White thing, I think that's because Mackay made him integral to County's attack. White does the donkey work at centre forward to create space and opportunities for the wide and central attacking midfielders. So White is more of a support striker than a finisher. That's good for County's 4-2-3-1 where you've that line of 3 attacking mids to feed off such a centre forward. Makes slightly less obvious sense in Davidson's 5-3-2 but could easily still be a good fit. White offers a back to goal aerial target option which Davidson doesn't have currently. It might be overpaying for White but he's at least a proven quantity (if the signing happens).

10 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

On the "struck oil at County" with White thing, I think that's because Mackay made him integral to County's attack. White does the donkey work at centre forward to create space and opportunities for the wide and central attacking midfielders. So White is more of a support striker than a finisher. That's good for County's 4-2-3-1 where you've that line of 3 attacking mids to feed off such a centre forward. Makes slightly less obvious sense in Davidson's 5-3-2 but could easily still be a good fit. White offers a back to goal aerial target option which Davidson doesn't have currently. It might be overpaying for White but he's at least a proven quantity (if the signing happens).

The player himself is an understandable target as a squad option, the fee is the real sticking point for me. Its genuinely staggering anyone on the planet thinks hes worth £100k.

Presumably Chris Kane has joined our near mythical list of permanently injured players again too, otherwise this is even worse.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, Gekko said:

I mentioned over on St. Mirren thread (as Brophy is being linked with County as White's replacement) that Ross County would be daft to let him go given he's not brilliant but is still strengthening a rival.

Then I saw they were paying over £100k for him. Absolutely mental!

Just now, RiG said:

Any new posters appeared on WAP talking up White yet? His old man will be logging on pretty soon I expect. 

Hes already been here i think - @Binos

Got a but huffy when someone suggested the big huddy wasnt worth £100k. Maybe if we're lucky he'll tell his son to stay at County because we're arseholes.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes already been here i think - @Binos

Got a but huffy when someone suggested the big huddy wasnt worth £100k. Maybe if we're lucky he'll tell his son to stay at County because we're arseholes.

Would be a shame to see this idiot of a manager’s plan go up in smoke. (might be worth telling him that too @Binos , don’t want him ruining his career by coming to play for this moron.) 

Nicholson trying to help his pal out again, saying bid is 5 figures and that White is not our only option. 

Also says striker is our main priority which seems a bit wild considering how shite our midfield is and our central defence is currently in ribbons, but there you go.