Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Might be controversial but I don't think our best 11 includes Hallberg or Gordon right now.

It shouldn't be controversial. Alex Mitchell can feel really hard done by that he wasn't in the side today, whereas Melker Hallberg should feel very fortunate that he's just walked straight back in.

I don't think the way we are playing/role he's being asked to play particularly suits him but he's starting to look like the nothing player that Hibernian fans described. Just what does he do?

That James Brown has played over 50 games for this football club is a poor reflection on many things. What does he bring to the side that so impresses the manager? I used to feel he was likeable because he clearly tries hard but eventually that wears off.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

That James Brown has played over 50 games for this football club is a poor reflection on many things. What does he bring to the side that so impresses the manager? I used to feel he was likeable because he clearly tries hard but eventually that wears off.

He's a solid 4 out 10 every week at least. Just the type of honest pro that Davidson loves.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

It shouldn't be controversial. Alex Mitchell can feel really hard done by that he wasn't in the side today, whereas Melker Hallberg should feel very fortunate that he's just walked straight back in.

I don't think the way we are playing/role he's being asked to play particularly suits him but he's starting to look like the nothing player that Hibernian fans described. Just what does he do?

James Brown 100% be one of the first, if not the first, who signs an extended contract. He’ll never have it better in his career than he does at Saints and Davidson will jump to keep him here for longer. 

Back in the days when we ran with a first team squad of 20 he’d be a useful player because of his versatility. Now we’re running with squads of 34 (Allan Preston said on the radio earlier that we had a very small squad last season, he must’ve been on the mulled wine) he’s a completely unnecessary luxury. The fact he plays most weeks is a really poor reflection on the overall quality of the squad IMO. 

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Could be recency bias, but James Brown genuinely makes Scobbie look exciting. However, nowhere near as many heart attack moments with Brown. 

True IMO. Brown and Hallberg really seem to slow us down in moving the ball up the park, which I think we've show some promise in this year with the Stevie Nicks up front. Even Bair is starting to show some potential and MacLelland has a bit of pace and directness in getting ito good wide positions, Drey looks fit and can drive from deep but withtout Montgomery we don't have that option of an outball on the other side. If we can move the ball quick through the middle we look like a football team.

Wotherspoon, Carey aren't quick but they can find space / a pass with thier quality. Melker just seems ponderous.

To me it looks like Davidson would like to build the middle of the park around Phillips and MacPherson types that can break up the play and help with quicker transitions. I'd like to see Max in that mix too.

There is one big advantage to Hallberg being on the park which is that it should stop MacPherson taking right-footed free kicks.

Anyway, merry Christmas everyone. Time to start cooking.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

See Jamie Murphy being linked with a loan move to Partick Thistle. Makes sense I think, we’ve hardly seen him in a good while now and we have a very bloated squad. We seen very over subscribed on the left winger who likes to cut in area. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

See Jamie Murphy being linked with a loan move to Partick Thistle. Makes sense I think, we’ve hardly seen him in a good while now and we have a very bloated squad. We seen very over subscribed on the left winger who likes to cut in area. 

I quite like Murphy, but given we’ve moved to a 2 striker formation and he’s about 4th choice attacking midfielder now it makes sense. Him, Mahon and potentially Max out on loan make sense to cut the squad down a little. 

51 minutes ago, Widge said:

I quite like Murphy, but given we’ve moved to a 2 striker formation and he’s about 4th choice attacking midfielder now it makes sense. Him, Mahon and potentially Max out on loan make sense to cut the squad down a little. 

And Gallacher i think.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Gallacher i think.

Yeah possibly. I quite like Gallacher and think he’s got something to offer if given the chance. I mean there’s no need to run with 3 left wing backs in the squad, but unless we can ship Booth out then I think a loan for Gallacher makes sense to get him game time and then he can have a solid run at being first choice next season. 

Goalkeepers

Remi Matthews - 2023 - on loan from Crystal Palace

Elliot Parish - 2023

Ross Sinclair - 2024 - on loan at Montrose 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2023

Drey Wright - 2024

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Alex Mitchell - 2023 - on loan from Millwall 

Liam Gordon - 2024

John Mahon -2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Adam Montgomery - January 2023 - on loan from Celtic 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Murray Davidson - 2023

Charlie Gilmour -2023 - on loan at Cove Rangers 

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 - on loan at Montrose

Alex Ferguson - 2023  - on loan at East Fife 

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Connor McLennan - 2023 - on loan from Aberdeen  

Graham Carey - 2024

Jamie Murphy - 2023 + 1

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Nicky Clark - 2025

Eetu Vertainen - 2023 + 1 - on loan at Linfield 

Theo Bair - 2024

Taylor Steven - 2023 (?) - on loan at East Fife 

think this is still correct, thought it would be worth putting the list up going into January. 

So bloated and so much shite. Honestly can’t fathom how we’re not bottom, never mind a point off third. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Gallacher i think.

He was really starting to show something pre-injury and definitely has the potential to be the long term option at lwb. Assuming we keep Monty for the season I would agree get Gallagher out on loan and ready to come back and hit the ground running for pre-season with a bunch of games under his belt. 

In terms of new contracts, the only ones I’m particularly bothered about are Wotherspoon and May. In addition to them I’d hope we’d make an offer to Hallberg but I can’t see him being with us next year and Kane and Brown will no doubt get an offer too. 

Including youngsters I make it that we already have 17 players signed up for next season already. Depending on the ownership and how big a budget the manager will be allowed, not sure there will be much wiggle room if all of the above do stay on.