Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Ended bumping into your team during their christmas night in St Judes in Glasgow.

Had a bit of a drunken fan boy moment with Andy Considine after his Scotland exploits.

Got chatting to a few and Liam Gordon and Nicky Clark were good chat. Elliott Parish, however, came across as a smug bellend. 

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scottish Sun also linking us with Charlie Gilmour and a PCA. Take it he's not been up to much considering you punted him to Cove on loan?

He'll no doubt prove me wrong but I'd be astonished that any full time clubs are looking at him!

Not featured much for Saints but when he has, he's looked tentative, almost lacking in belief, slow and just generally uncomfortable at that level when playing in central midfield. He was punted out wide in the League Cup this season, probably unfair to judge him on that though. 

Can't comment about his form at Cove of course but seeing him playing at Scottish Premiership level suggested heavily to me he had no future at Saints. Certainly showed nothing to justify a new deal anyway!

17 hours ago, Kyle said:

Saints linked with a move for Ruari Paton of Queen of the South in the sun. 

Type of punt id like to see. Full of confidence young striker in need of a step up.

L1 to Premiership is a fair jump straight away, and i dont think he was overly great in the Championship last season, though.

Guess it would signal Bair out on loan maybe.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scottish Sun also linking us with Charlie Gilmour and a PCA. Take it he's not been up to much considering you punted him to Cove on loan?

He should be a good player. Technically strong, brought up in a good academy, physically a good size/build. Just seems to lack something and vanishes on the pitch. 

Probably a Shaun Byrne type career is about right for him tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Type of punt id like to see. Full of confidence young striker in need of a step up.

L1 to Premiership is a fair jump straight away, and i dont think he was overly great in the Championship last season, though.

Guess it would signal Bair out on loan maybe.

He should be a good player. Technically strong, brought up in a good academy, physically a good size/build. Just seems to lack something and vanishes on the pitch. 

Probably a Shaun Byrne type career is about right for him tbh.

Paton scored nine in the Championship last season for a team that was relegated. I'd say that's not bad considering it was his first full season at that level (I think). Like you, I'd be happy to take a punt on him.

15 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Paton scored nine in the Championship last season for a team that was relegated. I'd say that's not bad considering it was his first full season at that level (I think). Like you, I'd be happy to take a punt on him.

3 in 34 league appearances, 3 in the League Cup, 2 in the Challenge Cup and 1 in the Scottish Cup. Mainly played out wide though, according to Transfermarkt. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

3 in 34 league appearances, 3 in the League Cup, 2 in the Challenge Cup and 1 in the Scottish Cup. Mainly played out wide though, according to Transfermarkt. 

Paton wasn't a stick-on 1st choice starter last season, had several appearances from the bench, or started then hooked. As you say he was played out wide which isn't his favoured position. If Saints sign him and loan him back that would be ideal, don't think he's quite ready to step straight in to your 1st team, but he's a worker, good trainer too apparently. 

While I'm on, what's happened to Kane? 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Paton wasn't a stick-on 1st choice starter last season, had several appearances from the bench, or started then hooked. As you say he was played out wide which isn't his favoured position. If Saints sign him and loan him back that would be ideal, don't think he's quite ready to step straight in to your 1st team, but he's a worker, good trainer too apparently. 

Kano got a bad injury last season, and it’s not looking great for his return any time soon 😪

46 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He apparently required another operation. Second, might even be the third one on this injury. 

Doesn't look good for him 🫤 

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He’s been a complete nothing player for us. Admittedly he was shoved out to right wing back in a couple of games at the start of the season which did him no favours. 

I’d be pretty disappointed to see him get a new deal tbh. Certainly hasn’t deserved one in a Saints shirt. 

23 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Ah right.  Article I read just said he scored nine in a struggling QOS team.

At half time today I was thinking it was looking like we’d completely wasted that 3 points we took off Rangers by following it up with only 2 points from Motherwell, st Mirren and potentially County.  Instead,  that’s us on a run of 4 wins and 2 draws from the last 6 matches.

Feel that was quite a significant result, to re-start with a bit of momentum straight away, and also to give ourselves a decent gap above the bottom three.  That’s us 9 points above county when it might have been down to 3 had it gone against us.

Some tougher fixtures coming up; Celtic (a), Hearts (h), United (H), Aberdeen (A)

If we do okay against Celtic and hearts, you’ve got to hope there’ll be a bumper crowd at the new year derby* with United.