Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Dooj said:

Announcement actually says 'net proceeds' - presumably there will be taxes etc to pay but IIRC if bought the club for a tiny amount so even after deductions that should be a fair whack of cash.

Will be a fair old amount, but the trust also has other sources of cash to put towards the project too. Will be wins all round for everyone from this gesture

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Will be a fair old amount, but the trust also has other sources of cash to put towards the project too. Will be wins all round for everyone from this gesture

It really depends on who buys it. 

If it's a supporters trust/fan ownership type venture then it won't end up being very much as they're not exactly going to charge the fans the max they can get. 

As most fans, naturally wary of the unknown investor. So many clubs in England especially have been run into the ground for personal wealth gain by utter scumbags.

Geoff's last and final challenge is to only sell it to a party who'll be a great custodian of our club. which I do believe they'll do their very best to do that, like they've always tried to do. 

The issue we've got is why would someone buy St. Johnstone if they're not a fan? Not the kind of person we want 🫤

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

What a man. Unbelievable gesture.

All for the p&b Saints having a whip round and buying the club. Tam as chairman.

I'll only accept Tam if he commits to funding the super pub across the road from McDiarmid. Our dreams of drinking mulled wine under the heat lamps pre-match on a cold Wednesday night in January may finally be realised.

14 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

It really depends on who buys it. 

If it's a supporters trust/fan ownership type venture then it won't end up being very much as they're not exactly going to charge the fans the max they can get. 

As most fans, naturally wary of the unknown investor. So many clubs in England especially have been run into the ground for personal wealth gain by utter scumbags.

Geoff's last and final challenge is to only sell it to a party who'll be a great custodian of our club. which I do believe they'll do their very best to do that, like they've always tried to do. 

The issue we've got is why would someone buy St. Johnstone if they're not a fan? Not the kind of person we want 🫤

I cant see any fan ownership situation working, tbh, although it feels important theres a fan on the board who can make sure things are done right. Not a clue about Flaherty in terms of that. Maybe a fan group holding the majority of shares simply allowing a figurehead to run the club makes sense, but youd imagine that would've had to have been up and running long before now.

Cant see any individual wanting to buy the club as theres little chance you make any money out of it really, unless you start asset stripping. A Saints fan who has millions upon millions just resting in his account is ideal but do they exist?

Cant see any Perth based business being about to chuck 6 figures into purchasing the club to make nothing off it. Folk go on about Binn but im not convinced theyll feel its worth their time/money to own a football club.

I think we'll reach a point where the clubs virtually just handed to someone the Browns trust. Its kind of terrifying but if youre trusting anyone to make sure the right person/people take charge its them.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I'll only accept Tam if he commits to funding the super pub across the road from McDiarmid. Our dreams of drinking mulled wine under the heat lamps pre-match on a cold Wednesday night in January may finally be realised.

I've told you before, across the road is a waste of money when we already have a large piece of land doing f**k all at the top of the car park.

For what it's worth, I already offered to buy the club from Geoff. I'm not going to go into the exact financials but the daft auld dobber laughed it off with "if I thought you were serious I'd take you up on that offer". He never did.

This is our moment for a billionaire to walk in and turn Scottish football upside down.

What's that good sir? You are looking to expand your portfolio of football clubs? Look no further than St. Johnstone Football Club. What if I told you you could spend about £50 million to win the CINCH in Scotland and get into the Champions League? Yes that's right, elite European football in a couple of seasons. UEFA riches. A quick return on your investment, my friend. You are willing to explore this option further? That's brilliant! Can I ask you, do you like mulled wine? You don't. I see. Well, it was nice speaking to you but sadly I don't think you are a good fit for our club. Thanks for your time, Sheikh Mansour.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I cant see any fan ownership situation working, tbh, although it feels important theres a fan on the board who can make sure things are done right. Not a clue about Flaherty in terms of that. Maybe a fan group holding the majority of shares simply allowing a figurehead to run the club makes sense, but youd imagine that would've had to have been up and running long before now.

Cant see any individual wanting to buy the club as theres little chance you make any money out of it really, unless you start asset stripping. A Saints fan who has millions upon millions just resting in his account is ideal but do they exist?

Cant see any Perth based business being about to chuck 6 figures into purchasing the club to make nothing off it. Folk go on about Binn but im not convinced theyll feel its worth their time/money to own a football club.

I think we'll reach a point where the clubs virtually just handed to someone the Browns trust. Its kind of terrifying but if youre trusting anyone to make sure the right person/people take charge its them.

Seems you're thinking pretty much the same as me though

Can't see a long queue forming to buy the club from wealthy folk. 

The only reason I was thinking fan lead stuff could happen is because we could very easily get 2 years down the line from now and the club could potentially not be sold. Something would have to give eventually.

8 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Red Bull St Johnstone incoming.

It would never happen obviously, but you do.see these 'groups' owning multiple clubs in different countries in order to get around visa rules etc for bringing players to the top club. No idea on how it works, but maybe Scotland would be an entry point for overseas players to get visas for England? 

Would hate it. 

13 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Seems you're thinking pretty much the same as me though

Can't see a long queue forming to buy the club from wealthy folk. 

The only reason I was thinking fan lead stuff could happen is because we could very easily get 2 years down the line from now and the club could potentially not be sold. Something would have to give eventually.

It sounds like the clubs already been up for sale for years without a buyer tbh, so this is probably just a final, public, push to create interest.

The Community Trust seems the only fan based group who are in any way likely to be involved, yet ive zero idea if that's what theyd even want to do or be interested in. Its not really something ive ever kept an eye on.

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

It would never happen obviously, but you do.see these 'groups' owning multiple clubs in different countries in order to get around visa rules etc for bringing players to the top club. No idea on how it works, but maybe Scotland would be an entry point for overseas players to get visas for England? 

Would hate it. 

It would be RB Perth, for starters, they dont keep club names once they take over.

Theres no money to be made from Scottish football and £50m investment isnt close to being enough to topple Celtic/Rangers and reach the UCL in one season. Anyone intending on building us into a force would need to commit to £100m+ with 4/5 years of building things up. Its a total fantasy anyone would be interested.

Local businessmen who would be interested in keeping the clubs identity, whatever the f**k that is, are pretty small fry tbh. There aren't that many who could take the club forward, maybe a few who could tread water around where we are for a few years, but the days of 35 year stewardship are gone. The next category are the meaning well but ultimately just a plaything types and seriously why would they be interested in St Johnstone? There are better options out there. Then we have the no righters, see Dundee FC for the last seventeen? Generations. 

The P&B conglomerate is actually well placed when you look at it.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Local businessmen who would be interested in keeping the clubs identity, whatever the f**k that is, are pretty small fry tbh. There aren't that many who could take the club forward, maybe a few who could tread water around where we are for a few years, but the days of 35 year stewardship are gone. The next category are the meaning well but ultimately just a plaything types and seriously why would they be interested in St Johnstone? There are better options out there. Then we have the no righters, see Dundee FC for the last seventeen? Generations. 

The P&B conglomerate is actually well placed when you look at it.

Did that potential chairman ever get back to you with a picture?

18 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Binn Skip Saints or Simon Howie saints, IMO 

Imagine the food at the pie stalls if Simon Howie got involved!

Genuine question, what Saints linked businesses are out there? Off the top of my head, I can only think of Binn and Kilmac. Was one of the larger dairies not run by a Saints supporting family?