Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I hope Wotherspoon actually wears 8 at the tournament. Liam Fraser appears to have benefited from another late injury and Fraser has also often worn 8 and he has more caps than Spoony (which I wouldn't have guessed), so Fraser has first right to it if he wants it.  

[edit] Yeah Fraser has 8 and looks like Spoony has 24. 

Edited by juneof86

10 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I hadn’t appreciated that the goal yesterday started with him ghosting past someone in our own half then playing the initial pass. The chop in the box was a classic, just a shame the shot was saved.

Greatest player in St Johnstone history now? Not many with a better claim.

For me, he heads the next hall of fame dinner. The entire 21/22 side deserves their place, but get him in pronto.

11 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I hadn’t appreciated that the goal yesterday started with him ghosting past someone in our own half then playing the initial pass. The chop in the box was a classic, just a shame the shot was saved.

Greatest player in St Johnstone history now? Not many with a better claim.

I'm not sure there will be anything possible that a Saints player could realistically achieve in the near future that could top anything Spoony has already achieved at the club and this call up just further cements that. I'd expect he will at least get some game time over the 3 games, so will be the first to actually play at the world cup.

To grow up a Saints fan, not only play for the club, but to then to have the club success he has had and now a world cup, let's all be honest, he is living all of our footballing dreams (obs dark blue instead of red at WC for most). 

Edited by Theyellowbox

3 hours ago, juneof86 said:

I hope Wotherspoon actually wears 8 at the tournament. Liam Fraser appears to have benefited from another late injury and Fraser has also often worn 8 and he has more caps than Spoony (which I wouldn't have guessed), so Fraser has first right to it if he wants it.

How is Fraser getting on in Belgium? Could have been a St Johnstone player last January but manager wasn't for it.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

How is Fraser getting on in Belgium? Could have been a St Johnstone player last January but manager wasn't for it.

I didn’t know that. That’s interesting. I try to see as many club matches as possible to keep tabs on the players, but the Belgian second flight is hard to catch. I’ve only seen him play there once and the level was a little better than I expected and he played well. I am very surprised he couldn’t get a better move than that. Poorer former MLS players than Fraser have played a lot in the Belgium top flight. He was dropped in September and with Osorio, Hutchinson and Wotherspoon returning to health I didn’t see how he would get in. But Deinze let him miss league play to join the pre-tournament camp and he didn’t start Friday, but came off the bench and played well - as he always does. Whenever he has been given an opportunity he’s done a job for us. I just wasn't sure there were enough midfield spots to go around.

He has some size and is more of a defensive midfielder, but he’s not overly physical and he’s not really a ball-winner. What he does best is see the game well and as soon as he receives the ball, he knows where he wants to play it and he plays it quickly. I don’t know if the SPL would have been a good fit for him. I think he can play at a much higher level than the one he is at, but I don’t know if he would have been a good fit at St. Johnstone. I think he’d be better in the Netherlands or Portugal. He was sobbing when he called his parents to let them know he made it. I am gutted for Doneil Henry, a heart-and-soul leader, who was injured Friday to open the door for Fraser, but it was great to see Fraser’s emotional reaction.

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Presumably when Montgomery goes back to Celtic in January he’ll become second choice to James Brown. Goosed again when Callum Booth’s back. Hopefully Mahon heads on loan in January. 

Would think he will back to Ireland when the new season starts! Not sure he will want to hang around the Scottish lower leagues on loan!

He was/still is thought as a good player over there so i would imagine will have suitors for his signature!     

Even I could see the logic in signing Gallacher. Admittedly I'd never seen him play for years, which is just as much as our manager. Only downside is that that is his fucking job. Mahon came highly recommended, never got the hype, unlike others after his sub appearances. His cup outings this season though? Oaft.

Edited by tree house tam

Gallacher must still have a chance I'd think but Mahon is done. As said, back to Ireland when the window opens and the money for David Wotherspoon all swallowed up in a transfer fee and pay off.

Last Wednesday in Paisley, we had sheet rain for virtually all night but their pitch held up excellently for the whole game.

Our pitch is already showing signs of wear and was cutting up badly on Saturday, although arguably it's never bedded in at all this season.

Why then, are they playing a game on it later this month?

Edited by Radford

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Callum Hendry looking very like the player we sent out on loan on the TV tonight. Salford look shite too.

Playing with his head down again. Not really anywhere for him to go in England if he doesn’t start producing at Salford, so will no doubt end up back in Scotland before too long. 

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Playing with his head down again. Not really anywhere for him to go in England if he doesn’t start producing at Salford, so will no doubt end up back in Scotland before too long. 

If that's the regular Salford performance then it's a very large step down from Saints. 

Money though....

Hendry is just sticking to his career form, it seems like.

One great season, one shite season. Theyll probably get promoted with him scoring 4 goals then he'll bag 15 the next season.

I really liked Mahon against ICT in the play off, especially since he was just launched into such a massive game with no sharpness. He had an absolute horror show against Elgin though, not sure what was going on there. In other words, i can see why the manager, who seems incredibly impulsive towards certain players, has "lost faith" in him a bit, but i dont think you can just chuck away a player we've invested so much in and is a good age based on 1 game.

We need to some form of progression with young players getting game time this season, still. We have multiple players U26 who spend their entire team either on the bench or in the stand. Mitchell goes in January then Mahon should be getting a second chance IMO.