Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Blair Alston against (I might be wrong) Aberdeen about 6 seasons ago and for me Melamed Vs Hamilton was just outstanding. Although it was a closed door COVID game sadly. 

Both were away though. McDiarmid only goals in this competition!! That Alston goal at Pittodrie was sheer brilliance.

10 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye it really is glorious. 

Ryan McGowan picked up his sixth booking last night, assuming he’ll be suspended for the Ross County game after the break?

So did Hallberg....

What's the thoughts on Jamie Murphy? He's obviously got skill and can pick a pass, but I'd say he drifts out of games too much. In the current formation with everyone fit, I'd have him on the bench as an impact sub to have a go at tired defences. 

3 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

My bad, didn't read terms and conditions properly. Cheers for posting though, no harm in watching that again. 

It’s a brilliant goal, and easily forgotten. Alston has scored some great goals in his career, 2 for us at ibrox also being of great quality, but it felt like he was a passenger for much of games other than that.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It’s a brilliant goal, and easily forgotten. Alston has scored some great goals in his career, 2 for us at ibrox also being of great quality, but it felt like he was a passenger for much of games other than that.

Pretty much his career in a nutshell. A kind of Scottish low-rent Matt le Tissier.

Actually I have to retract that on reflection, that's being unbelievably generous to Alston. Maybe I'm just thinking of the similar noses.

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Compared to what had come before, Alston wasn't very good.

Compared to what we've had since, he doesn't seem so bad.

He was certainly no Jahmal Hector-Ingram 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

21 hours ago, monkfish said:

What's the thoughts on Jamie Murphy? He's obviously got skill and can pick a pass, but I'd say he drifts out of games too much. In the current formation with everyone fit, I'd have him on the bench as an impact sub to have a go at tired defences. 

Before his injury I thought he'd probably been our best player and am a little surprised he's been used so little recently.

He was always gonna be a bit of a square peg with system Davidson uses but simply his technical ability, vision and ability to turn and carry the ball makes him an asset for me.

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Before his injury I thought he'd probably been our best player and am a little surprised he's been used so little recently.

He was always gonna be a bit of a square peg with system Davidson uses but simply his technical ability, vision and ability to turn and carry the ball makes him an asset for me.

Agreed, he’s the only player we’ve got in the squad who can go past a couple of men on the turn and get you on the counter. He’s a bit hot and cold, but then again that could be his career in a nutshell. Either way I’d rather have Murphy playing than O’Halloran! 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

Have to agree. He sort of typifies how I'm feeling about the squad generally. 

Someone (I think it was @craigkillie) was saying on the terrace podcast a couple of weeks ago (and was pretty adamant about it) that we had the worst squad in the league, which I though was a bit wild. Not saying it's a nailed on top 6 bunch of players but I'm going to swallow my pride a bit and admit that what I thought was a bloated, resource-draining collection of too-old players is proving its' worth as we move into the time of the season for injuries and totting-up suspensions. On any given Saturday we've got a better bench than most of our immediate rivals and players like Murphy that give a bit of quality and flexibility. 

Of course it's by no means perfect. Still too old, still relying on a loan keeper who's been nothing short of excellent and worth more than a few point for us, still some money wasted and/or players that we don't really have much of an idea of (Mahon, Phillips for example) but it's a squad that's doing a job for us. 

Definitely need to developing sellable assets though. 

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

Agreed, he’s the only player we’ve got in the squad who can go past a couple of men on the turn and get you on the counter. He’s a bit hot and cold, but then again that could be his career in a nutshell. Either way I’d rather have Murphy playing than O’Halloran! 

I thought Drey Wright looked surprisingly quick on Wednesday night (against Tanser, who's admittedly not that quick). Thought he'd looked more sluggish than his first spell for us this time around but the other night I thought he was more rapid. Was also good to see him going in full-blooded for 50/50s, showed a lot of heart given how bad his injury was before he left for Hibs. 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Someone (I think it was @craigkillie) was saying on the terrace podcast a couple of weeks ago (and was pretty adamant about it) that we had the worst squad in the league, which I though was a bit wild. Not saying it's a nailed on top 6 bunch of players but I'm going to swallow my pride a bit and admit that what I thought was a bloated, resource-draining collection of too-old players is proving its' worth as we move into the time of the season for injuries and totting-up suspensions. On any given Saturday we've got a better bench than most of our immediate rivals and players like Murphy that give a bit of quality and flexibility.

I don't remember specifically saying it was the worst in the league (doesn't mean I didn't, I say a lot of stuff), but I do genuinely think your squad is quite poor, and the manager is doing well to get a tune out of it at the moment. Saints finished 11th last season and the squad has on paper got a lot worse with the loss of Rooney, Hendry, Clark and McCart, albeit McCart didn't play well at all last season.

Mitchell and Matthews have been good replacements in their positions, the latter making the biggest difference given what the goalkeeper situation looked like up until he arrived. McGowan and Carey have never been anything other than bottom six standard players, even at their peak in Scotland, and Murphy was good but injuries have limited his usefulness.