Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im sure Mensing scored some half volley from the edge of the box at some point, my memory says it hit the bar on the way in.

Has Vine or Hasselbaink v Celtic been mentioned yet?

Thought about Tade’s but not sure it’s quite in the same category as Brown’s. Hasselbaink’s is one I’d completely forgotten about, which is surprising given how cold it was! 

On 08/11/2022 at 07:21, PauloPerth said:

Has Spoony really got much chance? I don’t follow Canadian football or who they have playing for them, so don’t really have a clue.

I think his chances are on the rise every week. And I think he’ll get named to the squad Sunday. Realistically I think there’s two spots left up for grabs. Canada’s best reserve defender was just injured, so that maybe changes some plans in the back. So I think maybe a third reserve central defender will be named which to my mind is probably not necessary, but we may want the extra cover. I thought the other spot would go to an attacking wide player (which, to be fair, is a role Spoony has played for us) or even two wingers, but I don’t think any of the three young players contending for that spot have done much this fall to stake a claim.

Canada plays Bahrain on Friday with a (nearly) all-NA based squad. Between that camp and the friendly, maybe someone plays their way into the 26th spot (particularly a wide left player given Alphonso Davies’ injury), but Spoony’s versatility helps him. Ultimately, I think it’s very unlikely that either of these last two players see the pitch, so having someone who is good in the change room probably has some value. The team unity of this group has been a big reason for our success and Spoony was with us from the start. He did make the flight over to Toronto for the match when Canada qualified. That says a lot about him as a man and the group.

I’ve only caught a little of him this season (if I knew he was going to start v Rangers I would have gotten up before dawn to watch), but to me he looks quicker and sharper than I expected. He looks pretty close to fit. Certainly not 90-minutes fit, but very close to his normal level. What do you folks think?

Edited by juneof86

22 minutes ago, juneof86 said:

I’ve only caught a little of him this season (if I knew he was going to start v Rangers I would have gotten up before dawn to watch), but to me he looks quicker and sharper than I expected. He looks pretty close to fit. Certainly not 90-minutes fit, but very close to his normal level. What do you folks think?

Played pretty well on Sunday but as should be expected, visibly tired as the game wore on. Time will tell but, so far, it’s looked as thought the old magic is still there. The fact that pace was never one of his main attributes works well for a player of his age returning from the injury he’s had.  

20 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

Mark Treanor scored an absolute screamer against Falkirk. Unfortunately it was the same game where Stainrod scored from the halfway line!

Wrong.

Stainrod scored the third in a 3-2 win where SJ goals were scored by Wright (pen) and a late Alan Moore header IIRC.

Treanor's was a heartbreaking late winner for SJ in a 3-2 defeat the following season.

24 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Was McMahon‘s touch line goal not against Aberdeen?  Jim Leighton in goal

Was indeed. Leighton came out his box to header clear and McMahon volleyed in from the touchline.

Hasselbainks goal was the one I was going to mention. Add in Chris Millar's effort against United and Momo Sylla vs Rangers.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Wrong.

Stainrod scored the third in a 3-2 win where SJ goals were scored by Wright (pen) and a late Alan Moore header IIRC.

Treanor's was a heartbreaking late winner for SJ in a 3-2 defeat the following season.

Wow, was convinced we lost the game where Treanor hammered that one in! Mainly remember regular beatings at the hands of the Bairns around that time…

11 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

Wow, was convinced we lost the game where Treanor hammered that one in! Mainly remember regular beatings at the hands of the Bairns around that time…

Nah it was pretty even. There was a 2 or 3 year spell when there was one classic after another - 2-3, 3-2, 2-3, 2-2 etc. Great times.

I was sceptical about signing Nicky Clark, but the boy knows where the net is. He’s scoring the goals to replace Hendry’s whilst also being a very accomplished partner for May. 

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure Mensing scored some half volley from the edge of the box at some point, my memory says it hit the bar on the way in.

This was against Hamilton. It always comes to my mind when folk ask about best goals. Think Scotsport First had stopped by then, so no footage.

We got another one tonight to add the the memory bank. Aren't moments like that absolutely brilliant? Money can't buy that level of happiness or excitement. 

That kind of point could mean the difference between a position in the league or even the difference between being in the top or bottom half. 

Especially with how tight the table is at the moment.