Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

wtf?

Wouldn’t pretend to know the origins of it all but I know there’s a couple that head over and watch Hercules a couple of times each season. Been going on quite a few years now

75805903-F998-4BBB-9AD2-606603548A6F.jpeg

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Wouldn’t pretend to know the origins of it all but I know there’s a couple that head over and watch Hercules a couple of times each season. Been going on quite a few years now

75805903-F998-4BBB-9AD2-606603548A6F.jpeg

Yeah I knew JD went but didn't think it was a club related "official" thing. Don't want anyone think I'm slagging anything off or anything as that's not the case. Just was curious why the club were like "friends" 

8 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Manager is a disgrace. That starting formation was beyond ridiculous.

The squad is there, sadly the manager is tactically inept.

That can't be forgotten. We were lucky to not be behind inside 2 mins. 

Players look lost in possession and at 1-0 looked miles off it. 

Red card somehow created a new life in Saints. 

Learnings though. 

McLeanan is not a centre forward. That's being polite.

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Manager is a disgrace. That starting formation was beyond ridiculous.

The squad is there, sadly the manager is tactically inept.

Noticed there was a point in the second half Davidson was stood hands in pocket while Maclean was barking out orders. 

can’t help but wonder if people behind the scenes are sending a change.

Delighted with the win, well needed.  Good to turn the game round and both strikers scoring.

But f**k me we have been so poor for most of the last 4 matches. In fact most of the season other than that recent mini-run.

Saw tonight what happened when we eventually let players try to play football and, you know, outplay the opposition and create goals and stuff. 

Get the shitfesting to f**k. If we’re not good enough and get beat so be it but let’s stop this shite and actually start attempting to win matches.  

It’s gone on far too long and for all but an (albeit incredible) 5 month period, it hasn’t worked and we’ve struggled near the foot of the table.

Open your eyes Callum ffs.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Delighted with the win, well needed.  Good to turn the game round and both strikers scoring.

But f**k me we have been so poor for most of the last 4 matches. In fact most of the season other than that recent mini-run.

Saw tonight what happened when we eventually let players try to play football and, you know, outplay the opposition and create goals and stuff. 

Get the shitfesting to f**k. If we’re not good enough and get beat so be it but let’s stop this shite and actually start attempting to win matches.  

It’s gone on far too long and for all but an (albeit incredible) 5 month period, it hasn’t worked and we’ve struggled near the foot of the table.

Open your eyes Callum ffs.

Spot on!!

Ok so this may go against the grain and doesn't actually reflect the way I feel about the management, but whilst we're all very quick to slate the tactics and Davidson (and rightly so in my opinion) I think we as a fan base do need to acknowledge that he's slowly sorting out the biggest issue we had last season. We're now sitting at 13 goals scored, which is more than a goal a game in the league, higher than 5 other teams and only 1 behind Motherwell and third place Hibs. As a team we appear to have found a way to score more goals, which is maybe masking a lot of other issues, but it is at least allowing us the chance to win games now!

For example, when was the last time we had 2 players up front who actually looked like scoring? The last time we had a partnership both score was against Dundee in the 3-1 win I think, but even then Kane isn't someone who you'd class as a finisher. Nicky Clark is certainly that, but yet we still need to create more for him, as he will score given the chance. 

Touched on it on the match thread but a major gripe for me at the moment, and it's something that is worse than last season, despite as @Widge saying the fact we've scored more, is that we play absolute idiot football.

Percentage football can be a chore but at least it's got a purpose. We play like a team that has no idea what the aim of the game is. Two-yard goal kicks to centre backs, shift to another defender, punt. We inevitably lose the ball and our pressed defensive line is about 15 yards from our own goal.

Nothing in midfield until Wotherspoon came on. Wright and McLennan in that first half? Man. Quick look at WhoScored suggests just around a dozen successful contributions between them. Clark (not his fault) attempted 4 (FOUR) passes.

Last season we couldn't get results and had a poor group of players. He's got a better group now but he has them playing a moronic brand of football.

The question I have is why do we need to go into the game with that kind of mindset and gameplan? Hibs should be respected of course but you don't need to quite treat them like you're playing Rangers, Celtic or Barcelona. 

Then when we did have the ball we really really struggled and didn't seem to know what the plan was, struggled to execute simple passes etc. There really was some extremely poor individual performances. 

At 1-0 Saints at times were getting absolutely nowhere near Hibs in possession. It was another game so far where the opposition were showing they wanted it more. 

There is positives to take as well though of course. We came from behind, took our chances but there's also learnings from the issues but the manager in the majority of his time in charge hasn't been able to learn from those. He seems to double down on the things seemingly going wrong?

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Wright's been good at RWB and been a consistent out ball who can carry it up the pitch and Stevie May has been reborn. So we move one and drop the other. All so we can again try and shoehorn back in the 5-2-3 which has been a disaster pretty much everytime its been given an outing this season. McLennan was brutal and for a player described as a "powerful runner" by Davidson he doesn't half get pushed off the ball easily. Bottled a challenge with Portoeus too when the latter looked in trouble too. Strikes me as thinking he's a better player then he is. 

Hallberg stands out when he has a bad game because there's too much put on to him to always be the one getting on the  ball. Subs worked out perfectly with the 10 men. Wotherspoon's risk taking means hes probably not the deep lying midfielder for most games but having him (and Murphy who I've not been overly impressed with till now) suited the situation. Amazing what having players that look for and keep the ball can do for you in attacking sense. 

There are positives - two strikers that look to have goals, depth of squad beginning to provide options to change matches and the feeling that there are the players there to be more progressive with the ball than currently showing. Need too-

Scrap the 5-2-3 in all but holding on situations;

Sort the centre midfield out so we can actually have an element of control in some games;

Get McGowan back in the back three so we can play out more ;

Play actual wing backs in the wing back positions. No more Brown, McLennan etc there.

The first hour last night was every bit as bad as anything from last season. Noticed that Davidson said it was the angriest he's been which is all well and good as long as he recognises his part in it. Thought Brown going to LWB hampered us down that side too and it really wasn't until the sending off that the changes had any effect.

As an aside, Mitchell didn't look at all pleased about coming off.

Agree with pretty much everything that’s been said. Some players are being thrown under a bus by the manager’s stubbornness/stupidity. I’m not overly convinced Drey Wright could’ve played the position he did last night before he got injured in his first spell, he definitely can’t play it now. James Brown is fine if we have to use him here and there, but he isn’t suited to this system, and definitely not on the left. He’s started the last four games and with the exception of the first half last night, they’ve all been on the left.

On a more positive note, really enjoyed Ryan McGowan’s two throw ins towards the end and enjoying the personality he brings to the squad. David Wotherspoon’s celebrations at the end were wholesome. 

Edited by PSJ.84