Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

40 minutes ago, Sconesaint said:

I read somewhere that Matthew’s signed a year extension with Palace but can’t source it online. Maybe it was this season.

im away down to London next week and will be at Millwall vs Middlesbrough. I’ll watch their centre half’s performances and ask about if Mitchell would be wanted back 

I’m sure it was mentioned in some of his signing for us articles.

Suspect we won’t see Mitchell playing for saints once the window opens either. I think he’s comfortably better than McNamara and he plays regularly for Millwall now. Mitchell won’t have to wait long either, he’s certainly miles better/more ready than Muller. 

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Going against the grain here probably, but that away strip is shite! I think the shirt alone with a pair of jeans might not be so bad for those that like wearing football tops, but the whole strip is just too lilac.

Doesn't stand out against grass background. Maybe we win wearing it and thats ok but it has nothing else going for it. Just don't like it.

Tonight's performance is exactly why Saints will be near the bottom come the end of the season. 

That was abysmal. 

as a side note. Liam Gordon for me shows absolutely zero leadership. 

Theo took his goal well. If we took anything from that it would have been theft. Could have been a mess if Max's shot went in at the end as the ref called it as the ball was hit. 

I hate to single out a player after a team performance like that, but Ali Crawford should not be picked for us.  He’s not a completely incompetent player by any means. He can pass, control a ball and shoot as well or better than most of our squad.

But he’s a complete luxury player. He contributes so little over 90 minutes we have to carry him. If it was Swanson in his prime you do that because he’ll guarantee you a lot of positives in attack.

Crawford doesn’t. He can’t even beat a man. I don’t know where you can pick him; he doesn’t create enough to be a no. 10, can’t play wide and is invisible in centre midfield.

The only option is not to pick him. What Crawford should do is join a championship side or Falkirk/ Dunfermline where he’ll stand out and they can carry him because he’ll get 10-12 goals a season and some assists. He’s just nowhere near good enough to do it regularly at this level.

The manager’s blind spot for him cos he looks good in training is irritating.  Davidson does not know how to pick or set up a midfield worth a f**k.

I suspect that might have been Crawfords chance. 

with Max performing well and a returning Wotherspoon he had to go out there and turn it on and he couldn’t. The fans don’t rate him and he’s had plenty of chances. Not a coincidence our midfield looked at its best when he got dropped last season. 

up front, hopefully Bair has the confidence with that strike. We’ve done okay with both May & Clark recently but if he can get into it we’ve a further option. 

I don’t suspect we’ll be in a relegation battle or a fight for top 6. But it’ll be a meh season, after last season I’ll gladly fucking take it.

Last night was 5 and a half hours I'll never get back. Still, I get to tell the grandkids I was there when Theo Bair scored his first Saints goal. 

Still not entirely sure if last night is our real level and we've been playing above ourselves recently, or if it was an off-day for everyone (Max, possibly Considine, possibly Mitchell getting just about pass marks). Maybe a wee bit of both but we did look awfully tired and again Davidson made changes too late. We have a much bigger squad this year and there were only a couple of starting changes last night, one of them injury imposed (have to assume). We need to be using our depth given that we've got so many at the tail end of their career. 

Impressed by the desire in the Killie team, they did to us what we've been successful at in the past. Great pressing and defensively very well organised. 

Carey back and a fit Spoony will be huge boost, let's hope we can get some time into them for the run after Celtic to the international break. We're absolutely looking like a 9th/10th position team. 

On a tangent, that stadium announcer using the passport names of all the players was just weird. Alexander Mitchell, Alistair Crawford?? Had to laugh though when he didn't even attempt wee Max's surname. 

Why when we're getting beat does he constantly turn to Michael O'Halloran?

He makes the same subs every time and just throws more "attacking" players onto the park, anywhere he can squeeze them on and hopes for the best. 

What was the game plan for the first 75 mins+? It's like we were petrified of Killie? Scared to play out and I lost count how many times that resulted in a punt right down the middle towards the likes of Ash Taylor. When we did gain some possession we looked completely panicked on the ball, poor clearances, gifting possession away, multiple times in our just outside our own box!

If we play and give possession away like that at the weekend we're going to be on the end of a Dundee United type score line. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Thought Killie made Saints look poor last night by bringing all the energy and tempo to the game.

Why Saints couldn't match that is a question for the players and manager.

If they always play with that high press then surely we should have been aware but it looked the opposite, which was presumably the root of a number of the passing errors.

Unfortunately if you put guys like Brown, Crawford and Gordon under pressure, you are invariably going to lose the ball.

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Why when we're getting beat does he constantly turn to Michael O'Halloran?

It's because he is blinded to the player he has become. In Davidsons head (and probably in training) MOH has pace to burn and can be unplayable.

In reality, he hasn't been anywhere near it for a long time. 

It's the problem when a player becomes coach and then becomes manager at the same club. He is loyal to guys based on what they did in the past, which isn't always bad, but is often not good.

It's a trait you can really see in Davidson based on the signings too. No, he didn't play with them, but he's a misty eyed view of the type of player Crawford, Considine, Murphy, ciftci, Carey all are/were.

1 team left from the first round. Everyone’s thoughts? 

for me it’s a definite improvement from last season. Awful 2 home games v Hibs and Aberdeen but we’re showing signs of improvement. 

today was a kick in the stones, but to actually go for it rather than sit back and take the loss shows lessons have been learnt. 

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

If Max doesn’t start ahead of Crawford for the rest of the season, then it’s yet another failing for Davidson. 

It’s a fair shout. For me Max showed more in midfield than Crawford does.