Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think the issue is the way we play is set up for low possession, counter attacking.

It means unless/until we go a goal ahead, we are generally pretty brutal to watch, as yesterday, as we don't retain the ball or build attacks well.

Once St Mirren went a goal down and had to attack us, we look more effective as we aren't having to build attacks against a sat in opposition.

Hopefully this changes with the new signings etc. Past evidence would suggest Davidson just does not want to play that way, but I'd like to be wrong.

Think it spoke volumes that the only Sportscence highlight from the first half was the goal. Despite goals it was a really dull game of football.

Was surprised that St Mirren were so poor. You could argue we contained them pretty well and playing 2 up front (really 3 with Murphy high up and through the middle often) and effectively conceding the middle of the park and using wingbacks to play around them was a good call. Bringing Tanser on and trying to match up on Drey Wright's side wasn't happening (he was MOTM for me along with Mitchell). If this is a new direction it will be interesting to see how it plays out against other teams, particularly a back 4., but to me the only real tweak was from 5-2-3 to 5-2-1-2.

St Mirren seemed to play pretty narrow considering they looked like they to set up with wingbacks, although surely Richard Tait can't really play that position. He looks completely done. 

I just can't bring myself to be negative about a 3-0 but like many others, I wasn't bouncing out the ground. Odd times to be a Saints fan. Our CBs are looking pretty tight now but we've still conceded 10 in 6 games, although 4 of them in one match to a team that others will will lose more to when they play them. Probably more important that we've scored 7, by game 6 last year we'd scored 3. 

ETA : Matthews. I think it's telling that we probably don't quite know if he's a good keeper or not yet, but his distribution is head and shoulders better than Zander's. Thought he looked a bit heavy-footed yesterday, particularly at the effort that hit the bar in the 2nd half. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

I quite like McGowan too, but do feel he’s the one in the back 3 who seems to get caught out most for lack of pace. Considine bailed him out once yesterday and Mitchell usually does so a few times by coming over on the cover too. He brings other things to the team though (including being one of the most cynical players I’ve ever seen play for us :lol:). 

Certainly a worthy addition to the team but I’d probably want him as a squad player rather than a starter. His versatility has already been useful for Davidson.

One that’s really shocked me has been Considine. He’s not put a foot wrong for me. He’s the slowest player in the back 3 but his positioning is such that I don’t think I’ve seen him get caught out for it yet. 

Edited by Kyle

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

I quite like McGowan too, but do feel he’s the one in the back 3 who seems to get caught out most for lack of pace. Considine bailed him out once yesterday and Mitchell usually does so a few times by coming over on the cover too. He brings other things to the team though (including being one of the most cynical players I’ve ever seen play for us :lol:). 

Certainly a worthy addition to the team but I’d probably want him as a squad player rather than a starter. His versatility has already been useful for Davidson.

One that’s really shocked me has been Considine. He’s not put a foot wrong for me. He’s the slowest player in the back 3 but his positioning is such that I don’t think I’ve seen him get caught out for it yet. 

I was amazed when McGowan avoided a booking for that off the ball block early on yesterday.  It was a thing of beauty.

Watching the highlights again its encouraging to see the wing backs so high as well as just seeing bodies in the box in general. At both the first and second goal both wingbacks are right up the pitch and at the first there's five players in the box. So often under Davidson, it would have been one player to aim at. If you're going to play 5-2-1-2, you need the wingbacks to do what they did yesterday (agree with comments elsewhere about Wright being the MoM). It carries some risk but that's why you have three centre halves and a DM. 

Talking about DMs, Carey and Hallberg cant be the paring against better sides. Hopefully Phillips and Davidson help there. Wotherspoon suits the role Murphy was in yesterday too.

I must be seeing things differently,as I never ever thought we were playing 5 at the back yesterday,it looked very much like a 3-4-1-2 to me most of the game, and I like Carey in the engine room,as he’s got a touch and vision to see a pass,although he got caught in possession a few times, but hoping he adjusts to the change 

7 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Can you paste the article please? Not paying for that shite

Just use the 12ft.io page it'll bypass the paywall.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecourier.co.uk%2Ffp%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fst-johnstone%2F3662431%2Fst-johnstone-boss-callum-davidson-recruitment%2F%3Futm_source%3Dtwitter%26utm_medium%3Dsocial

6 hours ago, Radford said:

The entitlement of folk expecting to just be able to read everything for free continues to astound me.

I'm sure you just give your services away for free...

Lol

Those 3 letters are on me if you'd like more please give me £10 a month

Edited by shibbydoo