Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Do I like the idea of the McLennan or the Nicky Clark signing for that matter?

No, not really but going to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

When we brought Hendry back into the team I like many others didn't believe that was the answer either so I'm happy and willing to be proved wrong, again. 

I wasn't over the moon with the Murphy signing either. It's early days but he's been one of our better performers.

It's not lost on my thought the issue isn't any of these signings individually, it's the squad of 33 year olds on 3 year deals. 

Remember a few years ago we used to enviously watch on as clubs around us made loads of signings whilst we were usually very quiet? Well careful what you wish for!!
Since Callum Davidson came into post in June 2020;

Permanent Deals in

Craig Bryson, Guy Melamed, James Brown, Craig Conway, Charlie Gilmour, Ali Crawford, Cammy McPherson, Eetu Vertainen, Efe Ambrose, Viv Solomon-Otabor, Jacob Butterfield, Dan Cleary, Tony Gallacher, Nadir Cifti, John Mahon, Melker Hallberg, Theo Bair, Jamal Hector-Ingram, Andrew Considine, Drey Wright, Graham Carey, Jamie Murphy, Ryan McGowan, William Sandford, Daniel Phillips, Nicky Clark

Loans in

Danny McNamara, Isaac Olaofe, Glenn Middleton, Zdenêk Zlámal, Hayden Muller, Reece Devine, Lars Dendoncker, Tom Sang, Adam Montgomery, Remi Matthews, Alex Mitchell, Connor McLennan

Outgoings

Danny Swanson, Ross Callachan, Drey Wright, Steven Anderson, David McMillan, Wallace Duffy, John Robertson, Craig Conway, Scott Tanser, Ali McCann, Jason Kerr, Shaun Rooney, Jamie McCart, Zander Clark, Callum Hendry, Liam Craig, Efe Ambrose, Viv Solomon-Otabor, Jacob Butterfield, Dan Cleary, Nadir Cifti, Jamal Hector-Ingram, Craig Bryson

* Swanson, Callachan, Wright, Anderson, McMillan etc were probably decided before Davidson took up post, but all left that summer.

Bound to have missed a fair few.

Davidson has essentially signed a starting 11 this window, albeit with a winger in midfield. 

Matthews

McGowan Mitchell Considine 

Wright Phillips Carey Montgomery 

McLennan Clark Murphy

Subs: Dailly, Sandford

all over 30s or loans except Wright (who has been good so far) and Phillips who has looked poor since a good debut. 

Craig Bryson: [emoji736]
Guy Melamed: [emoji736]
James Brown 🟠
Craig Conway [emoji736]
Charlie Gilmour [emoji777]
Ali Crawford [emoji777]
Cammy McPherson [emoji777]
Eetu Vertainen [emoji777]
Efe Ambrose [emoji777]
Viv Solomon-Otabor [emoji777]
Jacob Butterfield [emoji777]
Dan Cleary 🟠
Tony Gallacher 🟠
Nadir Cifti [emoji777]
John Mahon [emoji777]
Melker Hallberg [emoji736]
Theo Bair [emoji777]
Jamal Hector-Ingram [emoji777]

Loans:
Danny McNamara [emoji736]
Isaac Olaofe [emoji777]
Glenn Middleton 🟠
Zdenêk Zlámal 🟠
Hayden Muller [emoji777]
Reece Devine [emoji777]
Lars Dendoncker [emoji777]
Tom Sang [emoji777]

Whether it’s on loan or permanently, his hit rate is fucking shocking. And look at the ones which are hits - all short term fixes with the exception of Hallberg.

Why has Steve Brown let him chuck more money around this summer when he clearly doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing with identifying players that fit the way he wants to play? Can already tell with this odd group he’s signed that I’m going to be putting a lot of crosses next to names by the time January rolls along.

6 hours ago, The Saintee said:

That's probably the amount Tommy signed in his whole career.

His 5th transfer window saw Brad McKay, Joe Shaughnessy, Liam Craig, Graham Cummins and John Sutton all join permanently, then Darnell Fisher on loan.

He moved on Frazer Wright, Gary Miller, Lee Croft and James McFadden.

So ageing/deadwood out, 5 under 30s signed with 4 permanent, and one ill suited over 30 to satisfy the weird obsession he had for a while with signing a immobile lump up front.

Shaughnessy, Craig, and Cummins, all managed to approach or beat 100 games for us.

Tweaking/refining your squad, bringing in the next set of regulars which will then allow you just tweak/refine in future windows.

Just now under CD we've signed almost a whole new starting 11 in 2 consecutive windows, the average age of the squad is up, and its unlikely we see any of his permanent signings over that period reach 100 games besides Drey Wright.

Edited by RandomGuy.

40 minutes ago, mizfit said:

On paper it’s good enough to stay up. 
I just don’t see Callum being the man to get a tune out of this squad.

Is it? We’ll be doing well to stay up with no midfield, no pace and no goals in the team. 

if we do stay up, it’s tough to see it getting much better as we have so many of this current already signed up for next season. We’re surely not going to run with a squad of over 30 forever. 

Edited by Kyle

26 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Can't see it myself.

The judge will be the next 4 games. 

St. Mirren, Killie, County & United. 

If we pick up a reasonable haul of points that gives me some hope there's something in the squad, certainly against the sides around us.

If we struggle against those 4 sides. That all but confirms what most believe and we'll be down with the Dundee. 

Pretty depressing that the best hope is to possibly scrape survival, while playing absolutely turgid football.  

Is anyone still making the case that Davidson will suddenly change his approach now he's had another full window to shape his team?

I'd imagine the latest magical thinking is that now he has a proper striker it will all click. Or that he'll have another go at finding a free agent central midfielder.