Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 hours ago, Radford said:

Yet when we do it (and we aren't even, it's just we want more than 6 wins in 32 games and turgid, repetitive football) we are negative...

They dont want ambition, they just want "positivity at any cost.

Increasing amounts of money chucked at 30yo+ players, with Clark, a bang average top flight striker at best, contracted until hes 34 and undoubtedly on decent money throughout. I think we now have 11 players over 30, with 8 contracted past their 32nd birthday. Once we give Wotherspoon and Murphy new deals we'll have 7 contracted until theyre at least 34.

But what else do you want? Us signing affordable players in their mid-20s? Hows that realistic for St Johnstone? We should know our place!

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Doidge has joined Killie so that's my prediction from a week or so ago thats he'd be the deadline day loan proved to be wrong. 

I’d had the fear he was joining us for sometime. Glad he’s not to be honest. 

Can see something tomorrow too, just not sure what.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They dont want ambition, they just want "positivity at any cost.

Increasing amounts of money chucked at 30yo+ players, with Clark, a bang average top flight striker at best, contracted until hes 34 and undoubtedly on decent money throughout. I think we now have 11 players over 30, with 8 contracted past their 32nd birthday. Once we give Wotherspoon and Murphy new deals we'll have 7 contracted until theyre at least 34.

But what else do you want? Us signing affordable players in their mid-20s? Hows that realistic for St Johnstone? We should know our place!

We have signed 5 over 30s (Clark, Carey, Murphy, Considine, and McGowan) who have replaced 5 over 30s (Craig, Ambrose, Butterfield, Bryson and Cifci).

The big debate is whether we have replaced Zander Clark, Hendry and Rooney and only time will tell. Rooney was signed with no fanfare and was a bit part candidate for loan out until McNamara's recall accidentally threw him in to the first team as a wing back. Hendry was a promising striker who hit his first purple patch when we needed him most (neither Aberdeen or Kilmarnock were desperate to take him back and you wouldn't be shocked to find him on loan at Partick in 18 months time). There is absolute no reason why Gallacher, Bair, Sandford, Mahon et al won't do the same when serendipity throws them into the spotlight.

Who was the last player we signed with great fanfare and expectation who actually delivered? We don't sign heroes, fate makes them. 

Calm down, enjoy your football and hope that Callum gets brave enough to change system from time to time. 

15 minutes ago, PSJSaint said:

We have signed 5 over 30s (Clark, Carey, Murphy, Considine, and McGowan) who have replaced 5 over 30s (Craig, Ambrose, Butterfield, Bryson and Cifci).

But thats not a good thing. You want to be replacing ageing players past their prime with younger players, build the next "core" based on a plan.

We've made 2 permanent signings under 30 to impact the squad (Dailly has potential but Sandford will never play for us, he barely stood out in the Swedish 4th tier).

Mahon shouldve been given his chance to prove himself this season, instead we're playing a 33yo, a 35yo, and a loanee who'll likely be gone in January. So Mahon wont progress at all now by design, its just going to be dumb luck whether we see him become something or just waste away. That surely wasnt the plan when he was signed and hes barely played since, so what was the thinking? We'll maybe get an injury in November and he'll maybe hit the ground running and thrive?

Have we seen anything from Gallacher to suggest hes suited to being a wing back? Anything from Bair to suggest he can play in this set up? What was the short term/long term plan for those two? Bair is likely soon to be 4th (5th if Murphy is classed as a striker) choice and will barely see the pitch unless we suffer an injury crisis, where do we see him in 12 months without game time?

My issue is theres no clear plan for the future, and we're 5 windows in. Who does he see being a regular in 2 years and whats it based on? Whats his plan for getting them there? Just now we've increased the amount of game times for over 30s and dramatically decreased the amount of game time for under 30s.

Nicky Clark would be fine but a 3yr deal is just crazy when hes inevitably going to have Kane and May also contracted for next season alongside Bair and probably Murphy.

We'll need to sign a whole new squad again in 2yrs, i cant see why people arent see that as an issue.

In isolation, signing Clark improves our forward options. I had genuine fear we were going to get to the end of the window without anyone coming in.

Three years is far too long at his age and achievements so far.  It feels that we’re giving off such a scent of desperation that agents know they can push for longer deals than most other clubs would agree to.  Either that or we’re paying lesser wages but giving an extra year on deals instead.

I’m still hoping we have an exciting one being worked on in the background, and this is the safe signing to ensure we got something done.

Don’t mean to go full Roy Scheider here,   but we’re going to need a bigger bus…

Hendry was a promising striker who hit his first purple patch when we needed him most (neither Aberdeen or Kilmarnock were desperate to take him back and you wouldn't be shocked to find him on loan at Partick in 18 months time).

Hendry looked every ounce a leading man for an extended spell during Wright's last season? I remember thinking at the time we'd found our striker.

I believe the manner in which we setup under Davidson didn't suit him or any other striker for that matter.

1 minute ago, Fife Saint said:

Hendry looked every ounce a leading man for an extended spell during Wright's last season? I remember thinking at the time we'd found our striker.

He did, he was excellent and deservedly got himself a bumper new deal with us.

He didn’t get going under the 5-2-3 the following season which never really suited him, and Davidson preferred forwards who defended from the front.

Since we are talking about about Ali McCann again, I see he got the full game last night.

Some season Preston are having. They've played seven league games, two 1-0 wins and five 0-0 draws. Sort of stuff Davidson dreams about.

Eric Nicolson saying he expects another striker today. Maybe this Europe-wide search will turn up someone further than 20 miles away?

Manager bemoaning injuries in central midfield but, whilst Hallberg knock can't be legislated for, he must've known the risks he was running with Davidson and MacPherson?

To lose everything that Bryson and Craig have brought us over the years (and even Butterfield had experience) and only bring in Daniel Phillips, it's pretty negligent.

We simply CAN'T be playing Carey or Crawford in his deep midfield two. I was gonna say for any extended period but really just ever. It can't happen. Lots of focus on the Gordon tackle for the penalty on Sunday but it comes from Carey having to deal with a ball in an area he should never be in.

And we are still wasting Hallberg there.

Shambles.

31 minutes ago, Radford said:

Some season Preston are having. They've played seven league games, two 1-0 wins and five 0-0 draws. Sort of stuff Davidson dreams about.

Callum Davidson:

C263CB78-80AE-4061-9E09-42F96946A2B5.jpeg

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Any predictions today? 

im going for a loan for Max to championship for 6 months, MOH Departure & another body in.

Maybe Max but I think Bair is more likely for a loan. Problem will be getting someone to take him. 

I do expect a striker. I don't expect it to be exciting though. As @Radfordsays though, we're still short of a proper defensive central mid that will spend more time on the pitch than on the treatment table. 

Edit - it may be his plan to use McGowan in there if needed. He wasn't terrible there against Hearts. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

54 minutes ago, Radford said:

We simply CAN'T be playing Carey or Crawford in his deep midfield two. I was gonna say for any extended period but really just ever. It can't happen. Lots of focus on the Gordon tackle for the penalty on Sunday but it comes from Carey having to deal with a ball in an area he should never be in.

From the moment Hallberg came off I thought Carey was constantly sitting far too deep, constantly demanding the ball when far too deep rather than letting it go anywhere else, and constantly launching nonsense long balls that had no chance. 

A lot of that might be the manager's fault instead of his, but he's too selfish, i.e too much of an attacker, to ever play deep midfield again. Not least cos he's one of the few vaguely competent people we've got in the attacking half. 

Loan centre forward - who? Almost impossible to guess but probably someone who's played in the Premiership in the past as that's definitely Davidsons signing MO at the moment.

Potentially a loan central midfielder as well. Too late in the day to identify and complete a perm move you'd imagine unless they were already working on it prior to Sunday.