Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

53 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

A chance missed by the club to bin him after the League Cup shitshow. Now we have to stumble on with Davidsonball and hope the club see sense before January.

St Mirren and Killie will pump us...United? Who knows. Might get a draw.

I'll be honest, I fucking hate the expectation of being favourites.

If you offered me a point just now, I'd probably take it to be safe. If we go into to the run of the next 4 really tough games with 10 points on the board after 6 played (Hearts, Celtic, Livi, Rangers), it's an excellent start.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll be honest, I fucking hate the expectation of being favourites.

If you offered me a point just now, I'd probably take it to be safe. If we go into to the run of the next 4 really tough games with 10 points on the board after 6 played (Hearts, Celtic, Livi, Rangers), it's an excellent start.

If you have an eleven and a manager that is prepared to show any kind of attacking intent from the start then you'll win. 

Reasonable at holding possession and building attacks? You'll win. 

Any kind of pace on the counter? You'll win. 

Or just be patient and wait for our inevitable defensive mistake from a set play.

We are dreadful.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

If you have an eleven and a manager that is prepared to show any kind of attacking intent from the start then you'll win. 

Reasonable at holding possession and building attacks? You'll win. 

Any kind of pace on the counter? You'll win. 

Or just be patient and wait for our inevitable defensive mistake from a set play.

We are dreadful.

If it's anything like rest of season so far, we'll give St. Johnstone the lion's share of the ball because we're strong and fast on the counter.

We're good when in possession but we're certainly not a team who look to dictate by holding onto the ball for too long.

4 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I'm really not sure what I make of today. Was it brilliant? Absolutely not. Would I say it was a good performance? Still absolutely not. 

Was it absolutely terrible though? I wouldn't call it that. 

Hearts had most of the possession and plenty shots. A lot of them were rubbish from range. Saints played basically zero football until the ball made it into the Hearts half. Miles better side without Phillips in midfield. McGowan looked much better. Which I think says it all. 

Unfortunately Liam Gordon cost Saints today. Stupid tackle alongside also nearly cost us the goal with his terrible backpass. 

Again the issue for me was mindset and belief. That lets us down. We play with so much fear it's stifling us.

The daft trying to run down the clock at 2-2 just doesn't make sense to me. I know they don't need to go about the business in a rushed manner but there was 20+ mins to play. Let's get on with it. Let's be positive!

The one moment that sums up a Calum Davidson team was today. Murphy had the ball in the wide right area today in front of the Saints fans at 2-2. Great opportunity for Drey Wright to overlap and get a ball into the box, potentially even be able to drive into the box. Instead, Drey stood 20 yards behind him and just watched him and allowed the opportunity to go by. Convinced that's because of the instruction "be sensible, don't commit to much". 

On a side note. A big commanding back 3 but completely unable to defend corners. That's 3 goals already this season from corners. It has to be better!!

Craig Gordon had two great saves at 2-2 ,and Drey not overlapping is possibly down to him sleeping

49 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

So what striker will we sign today or tomorrow? And will we already be after another central midfielder?

That Japanese guy in his 50's? Miura I think his name is.

Plenty of experience.

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If it's anything like rest of season so far, we'll give St. Johnstone the lion's share of the ball because we're strong and fast on the counter.

We're good when in possession but we're certainly not a team who look to dictate by holding onto the ball for too long.

Can't wait to see what we do with the lion's share of the ball.  We always make such good use of it.  This will be a treat.  

99 days have passed since we beat Inverness. 99 days where Callum Davidson has failed to address the loss of Hendry and absence of Kane.

We can't be far away from the line about the window closing not really making a difference as we can still sign free agents...

May and Bair. In their last 87 games for the club have managed 5 goals between them. And 3 of those were against clubs that aren't in Premiership.

Callum Davidson: "People say I need new strikers..."

We’ve lost Craig, Bryson and Butterfield in midfield and only signed Phillips who is natural in there too. 

I honestly don’t know where the optimism about the squad is coming from. We’ve downgraded all of the main players who have left and either not replaced or inadequately replaced the rest. 

Last years’ team finished 11th and the only position I can say we’ve strengthened with any confidence is on the wings, and we don’t really play with wingers. 

Here’s hoping Dundee United/Killie/County prove to be as bad as Dundee last year as, with 3 full days to go in the window, we have a lot of work to do.

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

99 days have passed since we beat Inverness. 99 days where Callum Davidson has failed to address the loss of Hendry and absence of Kane.

We can't be far away from the line about the window closing not really making a difference as we can still sign free agents...

May and Bair. In their last 87 games for the club have managed 5 goals between them. And 3 of those were against clubs that aren't in Premiership.

Callum Davidson: "People say I need new strikers..."

Is Bair any good? I only saw him once in the game at St. Mirren Park and honestly, he was so far off it I felt sorry for him but he had literally just arrived a few weeks earlier so thought it might just have been a case of not being up to speed.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Is Bair any good? I only saw him once in the game at St. Mirren Park and honestly, he was so far off it I felt sorry for him but he had literally just arrived a few weeks earlier so thought it might just have been a case of not being up to speed.

I think he would benefit from a season on loan in the championship tbh, learn how to use his size to his advantage and bully defenders. For me he’s not aggressive enough. 

problem with loaning him out is that we are then needing 2 strikers (there is an argument to say that’s the case anyway) but I don’t see that happening.