Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

So looks like "four or five" is going to turn into eleven, plus Dailly and Sandford, who I would bet never play a minute in the first team.

Including the guys that are on (or end up on) loan, he's going to have a first team squad of 33 players I reckon.

Why is this being allowed to happen?

Goalkeepers

Remi Matthews - 2023 - on loan from Crystal Palace

Elliot Parish - 2023

Ross Sinclair - 2024 - on loan at Montrose 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2023

Drey Wright - 2024

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Alex Mitchell - 2023 - on loan from Millwall 

Liam Gordon - 2024

John Mahon -2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Adam Montgomery - January 2023 - on loan from Celtic 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Murray Davidson - 2023

Charlie Gilmour -2023 - on loan at Cove Rangers 

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

William Sandford - 2023 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  - on loan at East Fife 

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Graham Carey - 2024

Jamie Murphy - 2023 + 1

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023 + 1 - on loan at Linfield 

Theo Bair - 2024

Taylor Steven - 2023 (?) - on loan at East Fife 

Is it not absolutely mental that a manager who without exaggerating has a 90%+ failure rate with his previous signings is then allowed to make another 10-11 signings?

I presume Grieves is getting the blame internally? 🫤

As someone who doesn't miss a game, I'll probably not be bothering with many more away games. I don't want to pay considerable amounts of money to watch a side sent out there to be as negative as they possibly can in the hope of scraping a 1-0 win or even a 0-0. There is nothing enjoyable about it. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

11 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Goalkeepers

Remi Matthews - 2023 - on loan from Crystal Palace

Elliot Parish - 2023

Ross Sinclair - 2024 - on loan at Montrose 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2023

Drey Wright - 2024

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Alex Mitchell - 2023 - on loan from Millwall 

Liam Gordon - 2024

John Mahon -2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Adam Montgomery - January 2023 - on loan from Celtic 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Murray Davidson - 2023

Charlie Gilmour -2023 - on loan at Cove Rangers 

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

William Sandford - 2023 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  - on loan at East Fife 

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Graham Carey - 2024

Jamie Murphy - 2023 + 1

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023 + 1 - on loan at Linfield 

Theo Bair - 2024

Taylor Steven - 2023 (?) - on loan at East Fife 

Dreadful in so many different ways. 

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Is it not absolutely mental that a manager who without exaggerating has a 90%+ failure rate with his previous signings is then allowed to make another 10-11 signings?

I presume Grieves is getting the blame internally? 🫤

As someone who doesn't miss a game, I'll probably not be bothering with many more away games. I don't want to pay considerable amounts of money to watch a side sent out there to be as negative as they possibly can in the hope of scraping a 1-0 win or even a 0-0. There is nothing enjoyable about it. 

Absolutely no idea. Blows my mind that he’s got a squad of over 30 and he’s still allowed more when Tommy Wright was allowed 14 outfield players in the build up to Luzern and was only allowed to sign players after we sold Stevie May in 2014. Utterly baffling.  

33 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I'm the same. After Dumfries, I decided not to waste any more money on away games until Davidson's gone.  I live about 4 miles away from Tynecastle and don't have anything planned on Sunday, but really can't justify spending the money to watch the depressing, negative, clueless football being served up by Davidson's Saints. I never thought I'd see myself saying that.

I'm also really struggling to get my completely football mad son to go to games now, as he's bored senseless by the stuff on display. Pre-Covid he was desperate to go, but the last year has killed his enthusiasm. I feel like a terrible parent dragging him through to Perth like some sort of punishment.

The sooner the club gets rid of Davidson, the less damage he'll be doing in the long run. I fear it's too late already though. 

Having moved house in February after nearly 14 years in Edinburgh, I will be back and staying at friends for a night out this Saturday. I can categorically guarantee that on Sunday I will have left the City and be back home for lunch, never mind kick-off! That's something that 'Edinburgh me' would have found inconceivable, however £27 a pop to watch a Hearts B team utterly decimate whatever guff Davidson throws out there is simply not worth it.

40 minutes ago, Nelly78 said:

I'm also really struggling to get my completely football mad son to go to games now, as he's bored senseless by the stuff on display. Pre-Covid he was desperate to go, but the last year has killed his enthusiasm. I feel like a terrible parent dragging him through to Perth like some sort of punishment.

The sooner the club gets rid of Davidson, the less damage he'll be doing in the long run. I fear it's too late already though. 

I'm finding that same problem too. It's much harder to convince my kids to go and the love football. If we could do all the bits leading up to the game and listening to the FCU, I think they'd be happy, but sitting for 2 hours seeing pretty much nothing in the way of goals or excitement is getting to the adults, never mind the kids.

I don't think kids care about the slick passing or quality of football as such, but the complete lack of goals or even excitement of nearly scoring is not encouraging.

I'd still rather stay up and play poor football than going down trying to play silky stuff, but it felt like the dross last season was a necessity in order to stay up, so accepted it to a degree or the assumption it would get better. This season, we aren't even trying to play or entertain from the off, which is dissapointing. 

31 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I give it a day.

That’s a much higher standard than I’ve been expecting. Would be pleased with that as I remember him being a decent link player who was good for some goals. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That’s a much higher standard than I’ve been expecting. Would be pleased with that as I remember him being a decent link player who was good for some goals. 

Knows the league, is a reasonable age and a free agent. Makes too much sense for us…..

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Safranco was on very decent money at Sepsi and Utd. I'd be very surprised if one we could afford him and two, because he's still in contact with loads of Dabs who adore him and would take him back in a heartbeat.

Look, a man can see a released striker with links to The Scottish game and start to dream without being brought back to reality.