Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I thought he was pish to be honest.

Flashes of skill here and there, but either holds onto the ball too long and ends up losing it, or he misplaced a pass.

There is a player in there, but someone needs to teach him game management and sometimes a simple pass is fine and doesn't need to always be with outside of foot.

I agree with everyone his passing was poor. 

However I think it's pretty clear he's good enough to make Murray Davidson broadly redundant, noting Murrays lack of pace and the fact he also gives the ball away a lot.

The two shouldn't be on the pitch at the same time, and I think he's better than Davidson. That makes it a decent signing in my book, despite the evident flaws that most of our team also have 

Davidson claimed he'd watched Aberdeen in the build up to the game and knew what we needed to do to stop them. And yet we played exactly the same formation as usual which left us outnumbered in central midfield and allowed their full backs to roam freely. We had three centrebacks up against one striker. For a guy that seems to pride himself on stopping the opposition we were pish poor at even doing that. 

Get. Him. To. f**k.

7 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Melker Hallberg either plays further forward or not at all.  A passenger again today.

This is such a baffling thing for me, it makes me question Davidson’s ability to even see what a players’ strengths are.

Hallberg started out well when he joined then became fairly anonymous for a lot of our matches. We then used him in an advanced role in the play offs, just off the striker, and he was outstanding in both.

This season he’s been largely ineffective as we’re once again trying to use him as an out and out central midfielder, where he generally gets dominated and subdued by the opposition.

We’re so desperate to play a 5-2-3 (or the manager might call it a 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1, whichever) regardless of how much it hamstrings the players we have.

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

This is such a baffling thing for me, it makes me question Davidson’s ability to even see what a players’ strengths are.

Hallberg started out well when he joined then became fairly anonymous for a lot of our matches. We then used him in an advanced role in the play offs, just off the striker, and he was outstanding in both.

This season he’s been largely ineffective as we’re once again trying to use him as an out and out central midfielder, where he generally gets dominated and subdued by the opposition.

We’re so desperate to play a 5-2-3 (or the manager might call it a 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1, whichever) regardless of how much it hamstrings the players we have.

So much all of this. Our midfield was completely overrun yesterday. That was clear early on. It wasn’t working up front. That was clear early on. Did we change it? Not at all. Did we make the scheduled 60th minute May for Bair sub? Yes.

Just shite.

Does anyone genuinely sit there just now thinking we’re going to even score a goal, never mind when? It’s an intolerable situation.

We're doomed if we don't lose Callum Davidson before the end of this window I reckon. There's a fair chance we're doomed anyway but to have a shout at 10th or better we need to get someone  with some tactical chops. 

What I will say is we are seeing marginal squad improvements as we go on. Remi seems like a decent keeper, Phillips on a 2 year deal to give him some development is fair enough. Nothing really to complain about with Carey or Murphy. Centre backs, for the money we have they're a decent standard even if one of them's a pensioner. With the obvious exception of a striker Callum's squad at full strength should be staying up. I'd not even question the heart and commitment of the team.

But it's all just an exercise in deckchair re-arrangement and we're still heading towards the iceberg of relegation with the captain refusing, or unable, to change course. 

I wanted to give him the chance to prove he learnt lessons from last season but he hasn’t. Convert to 4-3-3 and suddenly we looked more into the game and even then barely. 

for me, he needs to recognise he’s done all he can and go. Just walk and get someone else in. 

I wonder if Jody would be interested…..

31 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I wanted to give him the chance to prove he learnt lessons from last season but he hasn’t. Convert to 4-3-3 and suddenly we looked more into the game and even then barely. 

for me, he needs to recognise he’s done all he can and go. Just walk and get someone else in. 

I wonder if Jody would be interested…..

The thing is, we have a capable enough squad to be more flexible in how we play and for periods of games, we look alright, but if we can all see how predictable Saints are, damn sure all the other managers see it. The only unpredictable elements are what players fill the shirt.

Yesterday, I thought Murphy brought something different. If we had an out and out goal getter yesterday, they'd have been sniffing in and around the box and when Murphy did has mazy run towards the end, would have been there as an option.

Hate to dissapoint all, but Brown will not fire him anytime soon. He'll be ignoring the league Cup and be looking only at the league and thinking that excluding Rangers, 2 narrow 1-0 defeats (on paper) and a victory is decent enough given the teams played.

It's how we get on in the 4 games after next week vs Hearts that will settle it. Or possibly the 3 up to the county game as that has the international break after it to sort stuff out.

Can people please stop saying that the chairman won't do anything.

It might well be true but it is painful to read. I need to delude myself into thinking tomorrow is the day.

Every Saturday at McDiarmid is just fucking Groundog Day. I hate watching us play at the moment. Was bored again yesterday. There is absolutely nothing exciting about Callum Davidson or the team he puts on the pitch.

Is the chairman back from his extended holiday yet?

23 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Hate to dissapoint all, but Brown will not fire him anytime soon. He'll be ignoring the league Cup and be looking only at the league and thinking that excluding Rangers, 2 narrow 1-0 defeats (on paper) and a victory is decent enough given the teams played.

Better start the protests then. 

Surely the club hierarchy wouldn't be foolish enough to write off the league cup? A club of our size will always benefit from a decent cup run. 

It's time to start being vocal in the ground if we want change. Simple as that. 

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

Just watched his Saints TV interview. He's absolutely deluded. It's another reason to get rid. He actually thinks all of this is not just acceptable but actually decent.

Any chance of a quick summary of his latest nonsense for us poor non-subscribers?

His comments regarding a striker make me think there’s no chance he gets sacked before the first international break. Like others, I felt he’d earned the chance to keep us in the league last season, but should’ve been gone following the playoff. He said all the right things in the summer but actions speak louder than words. His time is up. I’ll be forever grateful for everything he’s done for the club and he should forever be remembered as the St. Johnstone manager that won the double, but he’s doing a fair bit to destroy that now. 

Also, the player Michael O’Halloran has become under Callum should never be the answer. The way he has gone from looking like a serviceable top-flight footballer to looking like a League 1 (at best) footballer is astonishing. Speaks volumes for both the manager’s ability and the players’ footballing intelligence