Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Great photos. @PauloPerth

I'm sure the photos I've shared before of the Scottish Cup semi-final at East End Park are yours as well? In this day and age where we can take photos or videos every week, it's not unsurprising how rare photos from games 30 years ago.

Think it was maybe @realmadrid who shared photos of the pre-season game against Villa in 1988, they were fantastic to see at the time.

On the subject of photos, for anyone that wasn't aware, there is a great collection from the 1999 trip to Vaasa available here: https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/vaasa-first-euro-adventure-in-decades/

IMG_20220819_181900.thumb.jpg.8bbc48cbd544e0478071ea5911041ce2.jpg

Cheers for those, it's great trying to spot yourself in some of them. Even more delighted to find the march photos, my wee bro is the kid wearing the "see you Jimmy" at the front of it. The local press ran a picture of him getting off the charter flight in the tammy as well. I'm pretty sure @soulfulsaint got a few with him in the chartered Hotel as well, it would be  brilliant to get those as too. 

55 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Wasn't it 5-0?

Yes, it was. Was there not singing about "what's the time? 5 past Theo' the next time we played them at home.... they won..

Have a vague recollection of t shirts being sold (remember seeing them outside fir park later that season) with the back page of the sun or DR printed on them. 

The last few games I've been raging in the comments about how awful a number of the managers new signings were. 

Today didn't feel like there were as many absolutely howling individual performances as there have been, but as a team we are still absolutely shite. 

If the team is shite when the managers shite signings are playing less shite than they normally do it's probably a fair sign the manager is shite. 

Philips and Mitchell look decent. The entire rest of the squad could (theoretically) be replaced from loans or free transfer markets and we wouldn't even notice the difference. Just pointless shirts running around that could be swapped for another noname footballer for the same result. 

Brown played really well by his standards, as he always does. As I've mentioned before, he always manages to look like a shite player constantly playing at 120% of his ability rather than an average one playing at less. Over time I suppose he's proving himself to be the latter, for better or worse. 

14 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Our most realistic relegation rivals won 3-0 at Dundee United today. Incredibly depressing that its out of the question we'd get a result like that under this manager even if we played well.

3 goals? 

3 shots on target would be out of the question. 

It's getting to the point I don't want to go to games anymore. What does that say for the part time fan?

Nothing has been learned from the previous efforts to chase games. More attacking players on the pitch does not equal more attacking football. 

Especially first half, it wasn't amazing but it was at times in the right manner but we work it into the wrong areas for the attacking players we have. What's the point in working it into wide areas and then crossing it into the likes of May or Bair? 

Our goal threat comes from the likes of Murphy and Carey doing something individually. 

It's like the manager is on another planet?!

People screamed for Bair to get a chance. I think we know why he was a spectator last season. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I don’t see anyway Callum keeps his job now. A poor league cup campaign could’ve been waived away by stepping up in the league but we’ve not yet. You wonder if the awkward conversation has been had yet.

Following a defeat I’d usually find myself in a pretty rotten mood for the rest of the weekend - pretty sad, I know. I’m now beginning to find I’m not even bothered beyond leaving the stadium. The absolute dross being served up each week is beyond mind-numbing. 

46 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Our most realistic relegation rivals won 3-0 at Dundee United today. Incredibly depressing that its out of the question we'd get a result like that under this manager even if we played well.

At this rate your most realistic relegation rival will be a team from Dundee again this season.

Edited by captainkev

He needs to go now. Any glimmer of talent that we have in that team is hamstrung by the system he is sticking with which doesn’t work with these players.

I’m a diehard, a season ticket holder for 30 odd years and I don’t even look forward to going to the games now which I think says something.  Enough is enough for me. 

See Hearts during the week, they played Callums system for the first 50 odd minutes and looked shite, changed it and played 2 up front and looked far better. Why can't the hobbit see what every c**t else sees?

Edit, before anyone says we played 2 up front today, Murphy playing 40 yards away from Bair doesn't count and he's not a striker.

Edited by tree house tam

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

No, you've got that wrong. Killie were at County and lost 1-0 to 10 men, so still hope.

There very little chance of us scoring with that front three - primarily because Bair has absolutely no influence at all either dropping into hold the ball up then feeding Carey/Murphy or getting in the box for them to set him up. We need a new striker desperately, and if he’s not here by next week May has to start.

Our attempts at fighting back from a goal down were pathetic. It’s another game where I feel like we haven’t given up much defensively in terms of clear chances, but if you don’t create any yourself you leave yourself wide open to Lodi f the game from a moment of quality like we saw today.