Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I can't see it being anymore than the ref signalling and tannoy announcement. This is low budget cheapo VAR. It's not on any of the scale of the tv leagues. I wouldn't be expecting competence.

That was the impression given on Sportsound by Ian Maxwell as well. 

Add in a mic to the tannoy and from what ive been told thats the system.

There wont be a new screen at McDiarmid, some of the other grounds have nothing so it will certainly just be over the tannoy there.  

1 hour ago, John Bonham said:

I feel sorry for Zander. No idea what goes on in the background but can only assume he’s been shafted by his agent. 

That lucrative 3 year contract plus likely testimonial with Saints must seem like such a good offer now. 

will be spewing if he ends up at Livi though (imagine he would be  too) 😂

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The deal somewhere like that will surely be getting closer and closer you'd imagine.

Don't know his financial position of course but mortgages need paid etc 🫤

He is still in a strong position and does not need to sign for anyone come 1st September as hes a free agent

First club who's number 1 gets injured and who have a "Parish" as a back up keeper will sign him, he will be hoping that's in England and he can get the pay day he will have been working for. 

4 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

He is still in a strong position and does not need to sign for anyone come 1st September as hes a free agent

First club who's number 1 gets injured and who have a "Parish" as a back up keeper will sign him, he will be hoping that's in England and he can get the pay day he will have been working for. 

That’s a totally fair point, but a former St Johnstone player going 3 months without any wage is really going to start to bite. As @SJFCtheTeamForMe says mortgages need paid. How long can a player wait before they have to take something/anything? Get to mid Sept and its nearly 4 months with no wage

I was too young to appreciate the magnitude of the stadium move but it must have been been such an exciting time. Seemed a spell that every time we signed a player it broke our transfer record and obviously the winning football was being witnessed by big crowds.

IMG_20220819_131347.thumb.jpg.1d2b73fc1ded02757b2fe58278bc6523.jpg

Did folk used to cry about the 14-team league back then and the fact you only played teams three times? Can you IMAGINE the moaning about that nowadays?

Nobody really moaned about it as I recall, we just were ok with the fact that the fixtures would be reversed the following year.

For younger viewers: reconstruction in 1974 led to a 10-14-14 situation with 36-39-39 league games. There were a couple of spells in the mid late 80s/90s where we went 12-12-14 with 44-44-39 league games, but this was unwieldy. The current 4-tier system came in in 1994 with 10-10-10-10 (36-36-36-36 games). This was expanded to 12-10-10-10 with consequent top tier split in 2000.

The biggest complaints I remember were in 1994 when something like half of the 2nd tier got relegated to the new 3rd tier.

That, and all the blatant jiggery-pokery that took place whenever Motherwell were in danger of relegation, but I'm not bitter, no.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Nobody really moaned about it as I recall, we just were ok with the fact that the fixtures would be reversed the following year.

For younger viewers: reconstruction in 1974 led to a 10-14-14 situation with 36-39-39 league games. There were a couple of spells in the mid late 80s/90s where we went 12-12-14 with 44-44-39 league games, but this was unwieldy. The current 4-tier system came in in 1994 with 10-10-10-10 (36-36-36-36 games). This was expanded to 12-10-10-10 with consequent top tier split in 2000.

The biggest complaints I remember were in 1994 when something like half of the 2nd tier got relegated to the new 3rd tier.

That, and all the blatant jiggery-pokery that took place whenever Motherwell were in danger of relegation, but I'm not bitter, no.

I remember someone saying that the teams in the top half the previous year got the extra home game but it's hard to see how that would work whilst trying to maintain a 3-3 fixture split over two seasons?

We suffered from 3 teams going down from the Premier Division in 1994 but 5 teams in a 12-team league being relegated is brutal.

The FitbaStats website is a great resource, especially given the demise of Statto.com, but the lack of distinction between Meadowbank Thistle and Livingston is annoying.

5 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

Jesus, its not that bad is it?

Well, the Ronaldo wages have got to be paid somehow 😃

I can't see how you can really have a functioning VAR without some sort of screen to notify fans. I think only us, County and possibly Livi are the only ones that don't have something that would suit. Aberdeen and Hearts have fixed LED board around pitch. 

It was a really exciting time to be a Saints fan. We rose up from playing in front of 1500 (and far less in the really dark days) as a part time club in the bottom league, to being full time and regularly filling McDiarmid in the premier league.  The stadium move and success on the park combined led to the most interest in Saints in the town I’ve known, probably only rivalled for a few weeks by the build up to the 2014 cup final.

With new stadia not that big a deal nowadays, it’s easy to forget how massive a move it was at the time. I think only Scunthorpe in the British leagues had moved to a brand new ground in recent times, it was unheard of in Scotland. We benefitted from bigger away crowds as well, as everyone wanted to visit.  8300 for a top of the table early season clash at home to Morton in the second tier seems wild nowadays.

The other thing was that first season at McD we won the old first division playing the most attacking entertaining football I’ve ever seen us play, and carried that on into the first half of the next season in the Premiership.

D69E20B2-182D-4DD6-A00F-374C0544F2F6.thumb.jpeg.5dfcfcebd42edb10186b8ca7f9acf134.jpeg

D1CB49D0-4950-463C-8946-F1D16A160423.thumb.jpeg.369a6621d7d8afff043deda9cf1cad90.jpeg

880DE1AF-6783-4E2D-93B2-831622D9F086.thumb.jpeg.908c1f28eb1cead5ccfc764e9c676a2e.jpeg

4 hours ago, John Bonham said:

I feel sorry for Zander. No idea what goes on in the background but can only assume he’s been shafted by his agent. 

That lucrative 3 year contract plus likely testimonial with Saints must seem like such a good offer now. 

Well they just signed Jack Hamilton….

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It was a really exciting time to be a Saints fan. We rose up from playing in front of 1500 (and far less in the really dark days) as a part time club in the bottom league, to being full time and regularly filling McDiarmid in the premier league.  The stadium move and success on the park combined led to the most interest in Saints in the town I’ve known, probably only rivalled for a few weeks by the build up to the 2014 cup final.

With new stadia not that big a deal nowadays, it’s easy to forget how massive a move it was at the time. I think only Scunthorpe in the British leagues had moved to a brand new ground in recent times, it was unheard of in Scotland. We benefitted from bigger away crowds as well, as everyone wanted to visit.  8300 for a top of the table early season clash at home to Morton in the second tier seems wild nowadays.

The other thing was that first season at McD we won the old first division playing the most attacking entertaining football I’ve ever seen us play, and carried that on into the first half of the next season in the Premiership.

D69E20B2-182D-4DD6-A00F-374C0544F2F6.thumb.jpeg.5dfcfcebd42edb10186b8ca7f9acf134.jpeg

D1CB49D0-4950-463C-8946-F1D16A160423.thumb.jpeg.369a6621d7d8afff043deda9cf1cad90.jpeg

880DE1AF-6783-4E2D-93B2-831622D9F086.thumb.jpeg.908c1f28eb1cead5ccfc764e9c676a2e.jpeg

Considering I was born 91 I’ve only ever known Mcdiarmid. It’s strange to think that growing up I’ve lived through no real bad days, the worst being 8th in 04/05 in the old first division.

5 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

3-1 win v Arbroath the other night, Kucheriavyi (2) and Taylor Steven with the goals 

Got the full lineup out of curiosity?

6 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Wont happen now as we've technically got 5 keepers on the books (one is Maley temporarily registered and another is Schwake out on loan) but he wouldn't even be close to a starter for us with Shamal coming in

6 hours ago, John Bonham said:

If Zander wanted to resign we should jump at the chance and welcome him back with open arms.

Currently we have a loanee and a useless b*****d.

Punt one of them immediately. Ideally Parish (he's utter shite).

No brainer.

Great photos. @PauloPerth

I'm sure the photos I've shared before of the Scottish Cup semi-final at East End Park are yours as well? In this day and age where we can take photos or videos every week, it's not unsurprising how rare photos from games 30 years ago.

Think it was maybe @realmadrid who shared photos of the pre-season game against Villa in 1988, they were fantastic to see at the time.

On the subject of photos, for anyone that wasn't aware, there is a great collection from the 1999 trip to Vaasa available here: https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/vaasa-first-euro-adventure-in-decades/

IMG_20220819_181900.thumb.jpg.8bbc48cbd544e0478071ea5911041ce2.jpg

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It really was! I remember the excitement driving past as the building was taking place, the big crowds at most games and the good football that was played.  The Airdrie game will always be my favourite and then beating Aberdeen 4-0 early in the season after promotion was dreamy. 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

. @PauloPerth

On the subject of photos, for anyone that wasn't aware, there is a great collection from the 1999 trip to Vaasa available here: https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/vaasa-first-euro-adventure-in-decades/

IMG_20220819_181900.thumb.jpg.8bbc48cbd544e0478071ea5911041ce2.jpg

The Vaasa photos get a lot of love, but there is also photos from Monaco (my camera)

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/monaco-monaco-were-the-famous-perth-st-johnstone-and-were-off-to-monaco/

Norway (not mine)

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/the-big-trondheim-best-of-twitter-feed/

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/the-big-trondheim-photo-gallery-europasaintees/

Turkey (also not mine)

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/saints-in-turkey-the-big-picture-gallery/

Edited by stevensanph

1 hour ago, saint pogo said:

It really was! I remember the excitement driving past as the building was taking place, the big crowds at most games and the good football that was played.  The Airdrie game will always be my favourite and then beating Aberdeen 4-0 early in the season after promotion was dreamy. 

Wasn't it 5-0?