Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Probably spells the end of his Saints career

There’s a player there, it’s just if he can step up or not I don’t know. 

2 loans out in a week, would imagine we’ve someone lined up or looking to get one announced shortly.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

2 loans out in a week, would imagine we’ve someone lined up or looking to get one announced shortly.

Depends, as the squad is still bloated. 

I imagine Max will go on loan in January if Spoony is fit.

Maybe a centre forward... 🤞

12 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Just looked to be absolutely shot of any confidence and self belief, which is understandable with the injury history he has. Never know, he may end up being recalled in January and looking a completely different player

Edited by PSJ.84

10 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Would you play Mahon over any of the current back 3? 
I really like Mahon but I wouldn’t, nor would I even put the captain back in.

Why did we invest so heavily in him then? Just so that one day he might be able to serve as backup to Ryan McGowan and Andy Considine? Tommy Wright must sit and have a wry chuckle to himself about our approach to.signing players now.

3 hours ago, Costanza said:

Why did we invest so heavily in him then? Just so that one day he might be able to serve as backup to Ryan McGowan and Andy Considine? Tommy Wright must sit and have a wry chuckle to himself about our approach to.signing players now.

For what it's worth I think that approach has been pretty much abandoned already. 

It's stick to who you know now. 

Crawford, Macpherson, Considine, McGowan, Wright, Murphy, Carey etc. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

11 hours ago, Costanza said:

I don’t know, I have no involvement in recruitment.

Like I said, I like Mahon but I also wouldn’t drop any of the back 3 for him just now. 
If he was to come back in, I’m not sure I’d play him in the centre anytime soon, he struggled there in league cup games after being one of our best players in the PO v ICT on the left side of the 3. 

I'd play him ahead of Considine on the left personally, give him a run of games. Might be in built bias here but I've never really rated Considine and haven't been overly impressed so far. For an experienced player was hoping he might be in the Duberry or Kernaghan mould in terms of organising, cajoling etc but it seems Mitchell on loan and 20 does that a lot more than him.

2 hours ago, Costanza said:

I'd play him ahead of Considine on the left personally, give him a run of games. Might be in built bias here but I've never really rated Considine and haven't been overly impressed so far. For an experienced player was hoping he might be in the Duberry or Kernaghan mould in terms of organising, cajoling etc but it seems Mitchell on loan and 20 does that a lot more than him.

I don't even blame Considine, its clear he's a good SPL footballer. He's no longer on good SPL legs. I'd be bringing him on midway through second halfs to shore up leads (as if we'd ever score...) - not playing every 90mins to the exclusion of relatively untested expensive purchases. 

Although I suppose Davidson does have to justify the fortune likely paid to Considine for the next 2 years.

Apparently we are taking Mahon on loan.

He'll be firmly 5th choice CH behind Sweeney, French, Ashcroft & McGhee. He'll be there for back up if Bowyer reverts to a 3-5-2.

He any good?

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He'll be firmly 5th choice CH behind Sweeney, French, Ashcroft & McGhee. He'll be there for back up if Bowyer reverts to a 3-5-2.

He any good?

He's only played 6 times since signing last January so impossible to tell.

Probably better than the likes of Ashcroft though 🫤

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He any good?

On his day he's excellent, but he's not really played enough to know how often his days are. 

Absolute shocker against Elgin has seen him on the Callum Davidson naughty step, keeping Eetu Vertainen and Charlie Gilmour company. So I'd not be surprised to see him loaned out. 

Thinking that this might mean that Booth is very close to recovery and with Gordon back as an option there's cover (Mitchell or Booth) on that left side when Considine inevitably breaks down. 

Davidson’s complete aversion to developing a team for the future - or at least beyond this season - should be enough to get him sacked whatever his results. Wright left him with Kerr, Gordon and McCart as a back 3, and two seasons later he’s settled on a 32 year old, loanee kid and a 35 year old as his first choice for the season. With the 100k signing decent youngish prospect centre half either 5th choice or punted on loan.

When you add in that neither Ryan McGowan or Andy Considine are particularly fantastic players who we’re only getting because of their age (like e.g Dubes as someone above mentioned), it makes it even more of a nonsense. Both have been just about fine so far but Considine in particular has had some ropy moments and it isn’t enough to justify the short-term-ness (sorry) of the whole thing.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Someone’s just told me it’s a load of bollocks.

Yeah, guy on our forum that seems to know a bit more than the average fan (without fully being 'ITK') seems to be playing it down as rubbish as well now.