Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Most folk are giving Bair the benefit because we really, really want him to do well (a) after all the hype he's had and (b) the fact he seems like a really decent guy and (c) we simply don't have any other options. 

That aside I am getting incredibly fed up with how slow to react and generally lackadaisical he seems. Yesterday he didn't look in the least bit interested in pressing/closing down. There was one time when he was barely 5 yards from the keeper who was well out of his box and he lumbered half-heartily in his general direction, rather than trying to get on top of him. Also, when he loses the ball or loses out on a tackle he simply gives up and hands the player on. I was always taught that if you lose it, you get it back. 

He's just so fucking ponderous. 

I don’t have an issue with a striker not closing down as much generally if he’s doing the business on the ball.

Watching our forwards get turned into further-forward defenders, and scoring barely 5 a season, has been a big frustration over much of Callum’s reign.    I long for a forward who leans on the opposition post having a smoke with their keeper when they’re in possession if he comes alive and destroys them when we’re on it.

I thought Bair had some better moments, won a few headers, chesting it down and laying it off, but overall he just doesn’t bring enough intensity or hunger to the game. He’s 6’5, built like a brick shithouse so should be an absolute nightmare to play against. 
It might be a lack of confidence just now, but he just looks too nice on the park, and is brushed aside far too easily.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

overall he just doesn’t bring enough intensity or hunger to the game. He’s 6’5, built like a brick shithouse so should be an absolute nightmare to play against. 

It might be a lack of confidence just now, but he just looks too nice on the park, and is brushed aside far too easily.

That's because as people have already said he's an athlete not a footballer. Remember the last young Canadian forward we had? Exactly the same, never a footballer. He needs a couple of seasons playing in the Glasgow amateurs league, that would make or break him.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I don’t have an issue with a striker not closing down as much generally if he’s doing the business on the ball.

Watching our forwards get turned into further-forward defenders, and scoring barely 5 a season, has been a big frustration over much of Callum’s reign.    I long for a forward who leans on the opposition post having a smoke with their keeper when they’re in possession if he comes alive and destroys them when we’re on it.

I thought Bair had some better moments, won a few headers, chesting it down and laying it off, but overall he just doesn’t bring enough intensity or hunger to the game. He’s 6’5, built like a brick shithouse so should be an absolute nightmare to play against. 

We're saying the same thing really. I'm not saying he needs to run around and press for the sake of it, but he needs to be more on his toes and alive to the game. It's the 'comes alive' bit that's badly missing. Hate to say it but it's passion and desire to win that just doesn't seem to be there. 

Maybe be just needs a goal or two, but if he does score he doesn't seem the sort to be pulling off a wild celebration. Can't see him jumping into the crowd shirtless. Nothing would make me happier than to see him booked for overexuberance. 

Ahh, Marcus Haber!

I've spent all morning trying to work out why @tree house tam felt that way about Davide Xausa!

Lost in everything at the weekend, our £100,000 centre back can't even make the 20-man squad now. To waste so much of the McCann and Kerr money as we did has been criminal. Folk might say we stayed up but even that has come at a cost...

38 minutes ago, Radford said:

Ahh, Marcus Haber!

I've spent all morning trying to work out why @tree house tam felt that way about Davide Xausa!

Lost in everything at the weekend, our £100,000 centre back can't even make the 20-man squad now. To waste so much of the McCann and Kerr money as we did has been criminal. Folk might say we stayed up but even that has come at a cost...

Jeez. I'm sure Aberdeen would have sold us Considine for about £50,000 at the same time as well.

It's crazy how much money he's wasted on actual transfer fees and contracts.

And at this point his best signing for this season looks like Mitchell on loan 🤣

Although Eric Nic in The Courier appears to have swapped his infatuation with Eve Muirhead for Daniel Phillips.

Edited by The Saintee

47 minutes ago, Radford said:

Ahh, Marcus Haber!

Mahon was poor at Elgin but hardly alone.  This is just another example of terrible man management from Davidson.  As soon as he has a bad game that's him jettisoned from the squad with multiple centre backs now ahead of him.  Mahon is a young guy with a bit of promise and potential, we wouldn't want anyone like that in the team would we?   

Edited by Costanza

Mahon was poor at Elgin but hardly alone.  This is just another example of terrible man management from Davidson.  As soon as he has a bad game that's him jettisoned from the squad with multiple centre backs now ahead of him.  Mahon is a young guy with a bit of promise and potential, we wouldn't want anyone like that in the team would we?   

Why develop our own talent when we can just develop Millwall’s instead?

Mahon must feel great about the fact that his reward for staying patient and waiting for his chance last season is to move from 4th to 5th choice centre half. It’s a fucking nonsense to be honest. Of the current 3 playing the overwhelming likelihood is that all 3 will either be gone or completely done by next season. And even that might be too optimistic.

18 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

I half expect us to sign nobody, CD to think Eetu is this season's Callum Hendry as the panic recall when all other options run out

Some of the noises coming out of the club I think it’ll be Taylor Steven that gets that chance first. 

30 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Some of the noises coming out of the club I think it’ll be Taylor Steven that gets that chance first. 

I did think that, but he's on loan at East Fife now.

Then I also remembered Davidson making the same noises about John Robertson in the first few weeks of the season a couple of years ago, before he was swiftly loaned out to Cove, then punted on a free.......

Just now, Nelly78 said:

Then I also remembered Davidson making the same noises about John Robertson in the first few weeks of the season a couple of years ago, before he was swiftly loaned out to Cove, then punted on a free.......

Aye but John Robertson was 20/21 at that point and we didn't have any other options. Taylor Steven is only 17, so has a good number of years on Robertson. 

32 minutes ago, Widge said:

Aye but John Robertson was 20/21 at that point and we didn't have any other options. Taylor Steven is only 17, so has a good number of years on Robertson. 

Robertson was 18 at the time Davidson was bigging him up. He's still only 20 just now and he's played a full season at Edinburgh City/FC Edinburgh.

Edited by Nelly78

13 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

Why develop our own talent when we can just develop Millwall’s instead?

Mahon must feel great about the fact that his reward for staying patient and waiting for his chance last season is to move from 4th to 5th choice centre half. It’s a fucking nonsense to be honest. Of the current 3 playing the overwhelming likelihood is that all 3 will either be gone or completely done by next season. And even that might be too optimistic.

Would you play Mahon over any of the current back 3? 
I really like Mahon but I wouldn’t, nor would I even put the captain back in.

1 hour ago, double deluxe said:

Agree DD, think the back 3 has mostly looked fairly solid so far.  

Have gelled surprisingly quickly considering they’d never played together prior to the Hibs game.

3 hours ago, Nelly78 said:

Yeah but Hendry was out on loan last season too.

1 hour ago, double deluxe said:

There might be case for playing him over Considine, but to be fair to the guy his obvious lack of pace doesn't seem to have been the cause of any problems so far and he's managed full 90 mins every game (I think?). 

If he's fit I'd certainly have him on the bench though, not least in case there's an opportunity to get time into him given Considine's injury history.