Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I like the Phillips signing, clearly needs to work on his discipline but he’s got decent experience at a good level and is a player we can improve. 

I’d guess Davidson’s preferred team will now look something like:

Matthews

McGowan Gordon Considine

Wright Hallberg Phillips Montgomery

Carey May/Bair Murphy 

I’d quite like to see us try a 4-2-3-1 with this team 

Matthews

Wright Mitchell Gordon Montgomery 

Phillips McPherson 

Carey Hallberg Murphy 

Bair

Wright and Montgomery and full backs is a gamble as they’re both attack minded but both Phillips and McPherson feel ideal in the deeper role in that shape. They both have good energy levels, they’re both combative and they’re apparently both good at distributing the ball.

Appreciate my team above is unlikely as Considine and McGowan will always likely start (not a bad call given their performances in the first two matches) and Gordon being the captain means a back 3 is always going to be likely. 

Hopefully Davidson can start getting results. He’s been well backed in the window and he’s added the experience he wanted into the team. The first half performance against Motherwell was very decent and Phillips feels like a good fit. The squad definitely feels more balanced with that defensive midfield option added to it. 

Striker is still a glaring miss. If we can get that signing right I’ll definitely feel happier about the squad. 

11 minutes ago, bobspareroom said:

What position is he playing out of interest?

Centre of the park in 523/5221

Wills 

Moreland-Dailly-Gordon-Parker-Bright

Sandford-Gilmour

Max-Pert

Steven

Saints well on top and playing some decent stuff. ‘Hit the diag’ is a common shout