Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

What he say?

The more I think about it, I’m maybe reading too much into it. Still though, one of those situations that he can avoid any sort of backlash if he thinks before opening his mouth

9 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving your strikers a boost publicly imo. He’s been slated recently for blaming the players too much in the press. He’s now praising players and getting criticized for that? 🤷‍♂️ 

Aye, like I say I was probably reading a bit too much into it. The first part of it is a bit bizarre though. People say you need new strikers because you do. 

16 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving your strikers a boost publicly imo. He’s been slated recently for blaming the players too much in the press. He’s now praising players and getting criticized for that? 🤷‍♂️ 

I think it’s more this, he’ll surely know we’re not high scorers and need one, but if May & Bair can perform like this and show they can cover and work just now he’s maybe a bit less panicky about signing any old shite. 

again, the comment is damned if he says damned if he doesn’t, and perhaps taking a few seconds to word it better would be better for all.

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye, like I say I was probably reading a bit too much into it. The first part of it is a bit bizarre though. People say you need new strikers because you do. 

Yeah that’s totally fair about the first part. I genuinely think some media training would do him good perhaps?

Yes could have worded it better. Just boost the players; “the strikers were involved in both goals and I’m really pleased for them today”.

Davidson himself knows we need new options up front, he’s missed out on a few deals due to money from what I’ve heard.

The one thing I’m okay with is we haven’t just signed someone for the sake of getting a body in, we did enough of that in January and we really don’t need anymore squad fillers.

49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Davidson himself knows we need new options up front, he’s missed out on a few deals due to money from what I’ve heard.

He may well have but if he hadn't  signed 19 players last season, spent over a quarter of a million in fees, then signed another 10+ this season he might actually have been able to afford the priority signing that was needed.

Stats don't lie, as Random used to say.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

That’s very true, they would have been raving about it. It was actually a great  cross but Motherwell defended it well. Think Hendry might have had the hunger to get on the end of it though.

Someone made the valid point yesterday about how we stop doing everything that’s working well when we go ahead. I think you can adapt and play on the counter more, but you still have to cause the opposition a problem. Davidson’s in-game management is poor, so reactionary. If the opposition haven’t scored yet we are content, regardless of how the momentum is building against us.  I think most Saints fans can generally predict when opposition goals are coming.

It goes back to radford’s point about entertainment; if we score in the first minute should we just be content with defending and holding on for 89 minutes?! I used to get pissed off with Maclean taking the ball to the corner flag anytime we were ahead in the last 10 minutes.  Fair enough if it’s against the OF or a cup semi final or something, but in every routine match I thought it was shite to watch, I’d rather see us try to score another.

But, as Kyle said, scoring a last minute winner is a buzz for everyone, and will really help bond the players together.  

Bizarrely, I think this is now our best start to a season after two matches for 5 years.

The back line have been looking decent (although I still think Montgomery is a liability) but nowhere near good enough to sit on a lead and invite pressure against any team in this league. It's such a high risk strategy as the first 2 games have proven. 

I wonder if in part this is because he knows that we don't really have the strikers to keep on pressing or for playing the counter, so he feels parking the bus is all we can really do. 

Still on the fence about Bair. Still not good enough but does seem to be making small improvement each game. More time and goal or two might just be the making of him and there seems a lot of good will for him form the Saints fans.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

He may well have but if he hadn't  signed 19 players last season, spent over a quarter of a million in fees, then signed another 10+ this season he might actually have been able to afford the priority signing that was needed.

Stats don't lie, as Random used to say.

Agree Tam. January 2022 was a month of many panic signings. 

It goes back to what we’ve all said numerous times; if we’d strengthened in the summer of 2021 when we were an attractive proposition with European football to look forward to, we might have  got some quality additions on decent deals.  Could also have secured group stage football and a few millions£’s extra income.

Instead every agent in the country knew how desperate we were in January, and I imagine we had to pay well over the odds for several of them.

7 hours ago, John Bonham said:

I'd imagine he will be telling them that if they contribute to the making and scoring of goals, then they make any decision difficult in signing another striker.

The wording should have been along the lines of "my strikers were excellent and gives good problems when looking to strengthen the forward options, play like that every week and they will show me and those looking for more strikers, that they are more than what is needed at the club... etc etc etc"

End of the day, the guys in the team are not stupid. If they are not scoring, any manager and club will be looking at other striking options.

One thing to note, that goal by May was him showing the predatory instinct that has all too often been missing. A goal this early in the season for him could be huge in so many ways. 

10 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Stevie May was where your striker should be. Brilliant finish and so pleased for him. Also scored the important goal against Inverness remember.

Mays lack of 2 knees has slowed him down, but he’s still got the poaching instinct. If he can stay confident this season and around the box he’ll be fine I think.