Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I don’t think the club have reduced Davidson to signing older and project players, seems like a conscious choice. Hes also spread the budget to 10 (I think when you include Sandford and Dailly) when he’s said he was after 5 or 6. 

He was incredibly well backed in January and will have been again IMO. I can’t see Considine and Wright being on less than Rooney and McCart for example.

Being honest I think we’re more than a couple away from being a decent side. We have a huge squad but there’s little quality, just plenty of numbers in most positions. The 5 main ones who left have all been replaced by downgrades (in terms of ability, IMO, if not cost) so think we realistically still have a lot of heavy lifting to do with the squad.

We could probably do with getting the dead wood out of the squad too. Pretty clear MOH isn’t going to feature much and that Gilmour is well below the standard required. 

Agree with this assessment. @Radford's comment about the players you're forced to pick from trying to put together a half-coherent side was bang on the money. I mean, just think about our left hand side. We've got Carey as a natural inside-left but no proven winger and even when we don't have injuries, our best left-back is Callum Booth. 

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

First away game of the season! 

0A016BC2-7362-4E7D-A60E-5822F6E62A78.jpeg

That's me that put that up.we had 18 booked. bus costs £420 Not difficult to work out why Motherwell is never a popular away day though but we thought as it was first away game, we had a full bus to Dumfries  just goes to show the appetite for Motherwell away. 

2 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

That's me that put that up.we had 18 booked. bus costs £420 Not difficult to work out why Motherwell is never a popular away day though but we thought as it was first away game, we had a full bus to Dumfries  just goes to show the appetite for Motherwell away. 

Or the appetite for Davidsonball………

Our squad is so fucked up. Davidson has squandered the cash taken in from Kerr/McCann deals and still doesn't have a decent striker or Central Midfielder. Couple that with players playing in uncomfortable roles, usually out of position. It's a fucking shitshow and I defy anyone coming away from Saints games this season with any positives. They are lying b*****ds.

2 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Or the appetite for Davidsonball………

Exactly this. Dumfries was the final straw for me. Spending a load of cash and a full day out to watch the turgid shit Davidson is throwing out just isn't worth it. It's probably the first time I've ever felt this way about a saints team and my first game was in 1983..... 

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

I don’t think the club have reduced Davidson to signing older and project players, seems like a conscious choice. Hes also spread the budget to 10 (I think when you include Sandford and Dailly) when he’s said he was after 5 or 6. 

He was incredibly well backed in January and will have been again IMO. I can’t see Considine and Wright being on less than Rooney and McCart for example.

Being honest I think we’re more than a couple away from being a decent side. We have a huge squad but there’s little quality, just plenty of numbers in most positions. The 5 main ones who left have all been replaced by downgrades (in terms of ability, IMO, if not cost) so think we realistically still have a lot of heavy lifting to do with the squad.

We could probably do with getting the dead wood out of the squad too. Pretty clear MOH isn’t going to feature much and that Gilmour is well below the standard required. 

Not saying he was restricted to signing older players and project players, that was his choice, but given where we are, I'm not sure the club would back him to the extent of paying a fee for players now.

Agree on MOH and Gilmour. Ideally, we'd want 4/5 out and 2/3 in with real real quality. Not squad fillers, but nailed on starters each week who are significantly better than what we have. 

56 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Banter page seems to have moved on from Mitch Megginson…

to Simon Murray

They all still salivating over Middleton scoring a goal?

A main striker has been needed for years so we sign defenders. Must be some logic somewhere but I can’t see it.
Totally depressed as when not if the other team score we are beat. This playing for a 0-0 does your head in.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Tbf to Callum he has signed strikers and paid what is good fees for them as well. Just so happens Macca couldn't stand one and the other is pony.

Only two though and neither has worked out yet.Can't believe your sticking up for CD on his striker signing record!

6 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

Only two though and neither has worked out yet.Can't believe your sticking up for CD on his striker signing record!

I'm not sticking up for Callum, I want him as far to f**k away from Saints as possible. It rather shows how incapable he is at recognising the problems, choosing individuals to halt the problems, then integrating those individuals. He fails at EVERY step.

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

That and Eetu starting for Linfield

Ah, doesn’t look as impressive when he’s not scoring hat tricks against village sides in pre-season does it?

20 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Ah, doesn’t look as impressive when he’s not scoring hat tricks against village sides in pre-season does it?

Wait until Linfield somehow get past Zurich, then he knocks a hattrick in at Tynecastle. See, he can do it against Scottish clubs Callum!!!