Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Yikes. I didn't know that.

He was slavering about his role in Josh Doig's development the other week on BBC radio. Didn't mention his decision to release him led to Hibs getting a £3m fee.

An absolute fraud of a man. 4-6-0-c**t.

11 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

He was slavering about his role in Josh Doig's development the other week on BBC radio. Didn't mention his decision to release him led to Hibs getting a £3m fee.

Always think that is an utter pish argument TBH. X player got released and then went to y club and they sold him for millions, so we missed out....

Completely ignores a) the development of the player of the club that signs the player, b) the circumstance of the club and how likely the player will get to play and c) the motivation of a player released.

For every player that is cut and does well at another club, there is hundreds that do not.

It's also sometimes pure luck. A few examples being Pearson and McFadden at Motherwell. Arguably they wouldn't have got into the first team or certainly not when they did if it wasn't for admin.

At Saints, both Callum Davidson and Stevie May were on their way out of saints had it not been for changes in circumstances due to injuries or changes of manager.

Levein may well be crap at spotting players and will forever be tainted with the formation vs Czechs, but you will find plenty of folk who have good things to say about his approach to youth development and whether folk see/saw it or not, he cared more for the fans and player and their feelings on a personal level that folk gave him credit for.

I wouldn't want him as manager of saints, but he's done much more good in Scotland snd for Scottish football than most. 

34 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

I heard it and he did mention releasing Doig, saying he did it for the good of the young player as he had Aaron Hickey in front of him in the pecking order so allowed him to find another club.

53 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

I heard it and he did mention releasing Doig, saying he did it for the good of the young player as he had Aaron Hickey in front of him in the pecking order so allowed him to find another club.

I get that as being a mitigating factor but he's got a responsibility to his employer to get the most out of our young players as they're assets so it goes down as a missed opportunity for me. The rejection perhaps elevated him too, again I understand that also. 

He regularly chucked young players in to start games at Parkhead and Ibrox then you'd never see them again. It didn't strike me as a particularly caring approach. 

20 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

He regularly chucked young players in to start games at Parkhead and Ibrox then you'd never see them again. It didn't strike me as a particularly caring approach. 

I think that’s a valid point, but on the flipside, for us Ali McCann was chucked on at Celtic Park having barely kicked a ball for the first team if I remember rightly and it was the absolute making of him. 

it’s not something that should be done regularly as you rightly state, but it can work in some circumstances and with the right player. 

i’m not defending levein at all really just highlighting it can work sometimes. 

Edited by John Bonham

Its interesting to see so many posts with similar feeling to me - I expect us to wait until the September break to make a move, if we indeed do, to remove Davidson - but that will leave the successor with the squad he has constructed. I'd far rather someone else came in and at least make the key remaining signings that we need themselves.

This team has not a shred of excitement or creativity or pace in it. Something has to give. 

The media shouldn’t be the determining factor in this situation. They contribute nothing and have invested nothing. Their only interest is self interest. Those of them that do attend probably don’t pay. Time the club listened to people who contribute and invest their time and money.

8 hours ago, The Marly said:

Davidson was stupid to make the challenge.  He had plenty of time to realise he wasn't getting there and pull out.  It was still quite a soft red though, especially given your lad didn't get a red for his challenge on McGowan and what your CB got away with.  I can see why the ref went for a red though. 

Things I have never seen Muzz do though:

1. Roll around on the floor feigning injury. 

2. Deliberately try to get a fellow pro sent off.

Porteous does these things constantly. 

And no, I wouldn't love to have him at Saints.  He's not even a very good player. 

Davidsons a dirty bassa.

3 of your players rolled about trying to con the ref on saturday.

Porteous is undoubtedly better than any Saints defender.

6 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Davidsons a dirty bassa.

3 of your players rolled about trying to con the ref on saturday.

Porteous is undoubtedly better than any Saints defender.

To be fair St Johnstone were the same last season, a lot of time wasting, a lot of feigning injuries and diving

12 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair St Johnstone were the same last season, a lot of time wasting, a lot of feigning injuries and diving

And the season before.  The irony of moaning about Porto when they all went down injured even after heading the ball :lol: 

26 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Every team does it 🤣

What they don't do is go down like they've been stabbed every time someone touches them. 

The muppet in question died and came back to life when Bair bumped into him in the first half as well. 

Miraculous recovery to complete the 90 mins without even any concussion checks for that trama he suffered to his head. What a guy.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Livi fans are bizarrely touchy about this over a game last season in which one Saints player sustained an horrific leg break - from which he is still out - and another sustained a huge gash in his foot, both obviously requiring subbed off and missing subsequent games and neither of which tackles resulted in any punishment. The one on Cleary in particular was an obvious red card. But it was Saints cheating obviously…

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Livi fans are bizarrely touchy about this over a game last season in which one Saints player sustained an horrific leg break - from which he is still out - and another sustained a huge gash in his foot, both obviously requiring subbed off and missing subsequent games and neither of which tackles resulted in any punishment. The one on Cleary in particular was an obvious red card. But it was Saints cheating obviously…

I wasn't meaning that game in particular as it could apply throughout the season really.  To be fair, wasn't that the game Cleary punched the ball away in the box in the last minute :D 

22 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

To be fair the Devlin tackle on Gallagher wasn't a foul, the St Johnstone player lost out on a 50/50 ball and unfortunately got hurt 

I can't really remember St Johnstone being any better or worse at diving than any other team tbh - every team in this league has it's fair share of 'gamesmanship' players (The only time I can remember is McCart feigning a head knock while one nil up to stop the game before jumping back to his feet. Smart play if he's on your team, cheating if it's an opponent etc) 

The Penrice one was a shocker..

If St. Johnstone are some apparent diving cheaters does that tackle make Livi fucking thugs? 🫤

Going in on a fellow professional like that is not great.  Even the sub behind the goal thought it was a shocker. 

https://twitter.com/rfcge1/status/1510386739436826627?t=8Tf4UBuoeiFHXKw1fmXt4A&s=19

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe